User Tag List

First 123 Last

NPcomplete

That they are craven.

MBTI
    IsFJ

If it comes with an apology for lack of clarity, I think it can be sincere.

Then again, there's a reason I often choose to add a "JK" whenever I make some abrasive remark towards others here...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Whether or not I believe they were earnestly kidding depends on my past experience of them. It is possible to make really inappropriate jokes if a person is accustomed to spending time around others with a very different sense of humor. But most of the time, when I see someone doing it, I get the impression they're just being flaky and cowardly trying to backpedal.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Sometimes people can take offence at a statement that was ironic/sarcastic/always meant as a joke. It doesn't happen often, but in those instances, especially when the non-serious nature of the statement would normally seem obvious, "I was just kidding" is a pretty reasonable reply.

I wouldn't be saying this but I've recently been talking to a new friend who often seems to misunderstand me. I use up my entire monthly quota of "I was just kidding" in one conversation with them!

In other words, when the person being talked to is sufficiently touchy, and keeps reading too much into comments, its a useful phrase. I'm sure we've all experienced being indirectly insulted by someone who uses the phrase as a retreat mechanism though.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It depends on circumstance, and of course sincerity. I had a good friend who would often use this method to cut me down in public. No surprise, I'm now no longer her friend. I'm sure no one else is surprised either. Mostly I'd say people use it when something comes out a little more harsh or shocking than they thought, but if it's deragatory and constant, it's time to move on as, in my experience, these people cannot be reasoned with. It's a form of gas lighting in those cases.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

...or as a way to indicate lack of trust in others' perceptiveness that existence needn't be taken to the nth degree of seriousness. Those who seek overt displays of affection might be more susceptible to symptoms associated, delusionary or otherwise.

thinking of you

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think it's a way of stating whatever nastiness you want to express and then attempting to avoid the social consequences that come along with doing so.

It's sometimes also used by people who are just very unsure of themselves and don't want to commit to standing by anything they said until they are certain of others' reaction to it.
    This. Also, what @Lark said.

Although, sometimes people are legitimately kidding and the other person has read offense into a statement where it "shouldn't" have been. That can happen when the speaker is too blunt in their delivery (so that the joking nature isn't apparent) or when they hit one of the listener's soft spots.

If you're genuinely kidding a lot and if you end up having to backtrack or clarify with a remark with "I was just kidding" a lot, to a variety of people, perhaps you should adjust your delivery--or think about whether you're lying to yourself about your intentions.

Anew Leaf

Interesting responses so far, thanks!

I find that this falls into two categories:

1- People who say whatever they wish to and then use this as a blanket to pretend they aren't a giant asshole. (Passive Aggressive)
    2- People who wish to be bold and then regret their momentary boldness.

The first kind are extra annoying because if you call them out on it, they like @Rasofy said, will try and flip it around so you are an overreacting moron. The second usually happens with people are very timid and have a flash where they want to say something "daring" and then regret it. (My ESFJ employee does it ALL the time and it drives me nuts after awhile.)

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    The second usually happens with people are very timid and have a flash where they want to say something "daring" and then regret it. (My ESFJ employee does it ALL the time and it drives me nuts after awhile.)
    Man, people who are all bark with no bite (and no balls) are the best. I love them to bits and pieces.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Man, people who are all bark with no bite (and no balls) are the best. I love them to bits and pieces.
    It's just after awhile I stop taking anything they say seriously, and in a work environment that isn't very conducive to good business between us. :3