Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Lost?

Lay the coin on my tongue Array SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

A lot of good habits.

I used to be far more careful about crossing the street (when I lived in Canada and was still a conscientious Canadian - moving to Ireland put an end to that!). I used to eat breakfast religiously - now it's pretty hit and miss and it's often just coffee. Speaking of habits and coffee, I also fritter away too much money on little treats like expensive coffees. And I stay up way too late, and I waste way too much time. I need someone in my life to sort me out, but no one seems willing/able to take on that role, except for my parents who are thousands of miles away...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Charting a course Array
    MBTI
    INFP

Myself.... I just recently found myself again, under a rock.

Also, I've lost the need and willingness to gloss over or hide issues/problems in my life from those I love.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

the sense that I am a person other than the roles that I fulfill in life... I'm trying to figure out where I begin and my roles in life end... I'm sure that there's a difference somewhere

I also lost my ability to party as well, but that's my own damned fault
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My cat. She died friday.

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFp None

I've lost people who have passed away or who are gone for other reasons. I've had pets pass away that I was very close to. I've experienced a lot of loss in terms of my profession, but part of that comes from expectations I worked towards for 16+ years. I've also experienced loss as a result of prejudicial assumptions, and have had to make a conscious decision to not lose my inner strength to it, but leave it with the external losses. I'm being vague, but some of these instances actually put my family at risk. When I was a child I was homeless for about half a year because of prejudice based on class and sexism that set out to destroy my mother. I was about 10 and had been through enough to know what was going on. It has always been the people with the easiest lives that I've seen cause the worst harm - and they never even comprehended it because in their mind life is easy and you are entitled to say or do anything. I think losses of any type that I worked towards with my whole self for over a decade take time to come to terms with, but also provide the best opportunity to learn from. I have another loss that is harder to define - a loss of memory of events that shaped my life.

I've also learned that losses that are really complex, or large-scale in terms of significance for a person's life, take a long time to actually recover from. You can be fine consciously and in your choices, but they stay beneath the surface. The mind in its entirety works much slower than is convenient. Subconscious pain is tricky to deal with because it is intangible, and only people with similar or comparable experiences can seem to understand or acknowledge it.

Loss is difficult for me to deal with, but it has also taught me more than anything and made me stronger than anything else.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

lab rat extraordinaire Array CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My way.
    I could make quick fire desicions and capitalize on opportunities, now I'm filled with terror, every time I contemplate possibilities. I used to thrive on this fear. Guess I got gun shy.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side! Attachment is something Yoda and the Buddha disaprove of!

"Of all the frictional resistances, the one that most retards human movement is ignorance, what Buddha called 'the greatest evil in the world.' The friction which results from ignorance can be reduced only by the spread of knowledge and the unification of the heterogeneous elements of humanity. No effort could be better spent." - Nikola Tesla

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.” - Buddha

Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I've also learned that losses that are really complex, or large-scale in terms of significance for a person's life, take a long time to actually recover from. You can be fine consciously and in your choices, but they stay beneath the surface. The mind in its entirety works much slower than is convenient. Subconscious pain is tricky to deal with because it is intangible, and only people with similar or comparable experiences can seem to understand or acknowledge it.
    I think this is an insightful comment and very true.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

My greatest material loss was a hard drive that was packed with many years of work. Beyond the tax records, pictures of people and places and things that I'll never see again, I had gigs of stories and other writings which I had spend hundreds of hours developing, editing, rewriting. But....I still have two more years until my deadline.

Failures in artificial storage of memories and ideas.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Senior Member Array

I have lost the feeling that I'm a good judge of character and I have lost my trust. There was a time not long ago when I trusted everyone implicitly. Now I carry mild feelings of distrust for everyone. Maybe it's not such a bad thing (a loss of naivety?), but I think I felt better when I was the way I was before.