User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

5'7' (maybe still 5' 8" haven't been checked officially since 1987) and probably around 160-165. Don't own a scale but last Thanksgiving I weighed myself at my parents place. I was 170.1 pounds right after dinner, fully dressed and with shoes on. You kids with your skinny ways bring back memories...I was same height and 110 pounds when I graduated from High School and went to boot camp
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I hear you. I get the same comments. I have a fast metabolism but some people won't even believe me when I say this; they just think I'm just an anorexic/bulimic in denial.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I don't see why people think it's OK to make remarks about my weight or eating habits. If you've ever seen someone that's actually starving themselves, I in no way resemble that - I look healthy, not sallow and gaunt.
    Same here...and when I see photos of myself, then I really don't get the fuss.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Southern & Oranged....Sorry didn't mean to bump in the middle. But seriously, just remember that its just insecure idiots that make comments. If you weren't tall & skinny then they would say you're too short & fat. And vice versa, they just pick at other people cuz they can't feel good about themselves. You guys just need a cool, kitschy punchline for when people say dumb stuff like that!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I used to love my height, but in recent years I've learned that being slightly tall is a disadvantage for a woman, especially when heels make me taller than most men. The average guy is about an inch taller than me, and many are insecure about their stature....
    I know a woman (ISFJ would be my guess) who is 6' 1.5". When I see her at church she's usually wearing 2 inch heels.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I hear you. I get the same comments. I have a fast metabolism but some people won't even believe me when I say this; they just think I'm just an anorexic/bulimic in denial.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I don't see why people think it's OK to make remarks about my weight or eating habits. If you've ever seen someone that's actually starving themselves, I in no way resemble that - I look healthy, not sallow and gaunt.
    I get more comments about height than weight these days (I guess being very tall is a bit more unusual than being very skinny for a woman). But yeah. Both are kind of rude. I wonder how people would like it if I started going up to them and saying "wow! you're so short and fat!!!" I think I have reasonably "big bones" (at least, I inherited footballer shoulders from my grandmother... and I have big hands and feet) and I have always, always been taller than average so I don't have the sort of waifish, I-might-break-if-you-touch-me look that some thin women do.

I wear heels...usually 1 to 2 inches. Occasionally more. Not all the time, but reasonably often. Of course this makes me a freakish 6'2'' or 6'3'' or whatever. I kind of stopped caring. I get stared at and weird comments even when I'm wearing the flattest flats, so... I tend to get a "look, don't touch" vibe from men (or just blank confused stares!) in any case so I might as well wear some fun shoes.

It is kind of a drag being this tall. I could be three or four inches shorter and I'd still be a "tall" woman. As it is I'm about 3 inches taller than the average man in this country. (Although especially living in London where there is a huge mix of nationalities, races, etc, I see women my height or even taller at least a few times a week - it's not THAT freakish). I have to admit that given how tall I am, I am grateful to be skinny. At least I get the occasional comment about being model-like or whatever. If I was "big" otherwise I would be kind of frightening, I think. People make bizarre assumptions about you based on things like height. I think tall women are automatically viewed as independent, intimidating, "not needing a man", etc. Short women are cute, helpless, etc...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I love heels too, but typically hold back unless I know I'm entering into the "land o' the tall peoples" or something.... I've got some decent flats and low heels (including with my boots), but I do have a few pairs of things with 3-4" heels. Sometimes I just get a "who gives a flying fig?" attitude and just dress however; I'm already tall, a few more inches don't matter.

There's another woman here, she's absolutely beautiful, probably around 30 -- long thick curly blonde hair, hourglass shape, gorgeous face -- and she's also my height. Aside from the fact she's pretty enough to leave me feeling ill, we still smile at each other... tall chiquita solidarity. And she'll wear heels on occasion. So...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I love heels too, but typically hold back unless I know I'm entering into the "land o' the tall peoples" or something.... I've got some decent flats and low heels (including with my boots), but I do have a few pairs of things with 3-4" heels. Sometimes I just get a "who gives a flying fig?" attitude and just dress however; I'm already tall, a few more inches don't matter.

There's another woman here, she's absolutely beautiful, probably around 30 -- long thick curly blonde hair, hourglass shape, gorgeous face -- and she's also my height. Aside from the fact she's pretty enough to leave me feeling ill, we still smile at each other... tall chiquita solidarity. And she'll wear heels on occasion. So...

I have a weird mix of "not giving a flying fig" and feeling quite self-conscious about the whole thing. I think heels are fun and I think I look good wearing them - they certainly emphasize my long legs. On the other hand, they make me tower over most people of either gender. And I get stared at, a lot...although I'm getting better at discerning when the stares mean "wow!" and when they mean "FREAK!"

Plus, even if I'm barefoot, I'm very tall. Slouching is bad and really noticeable on someone like me. Heels make me stand up straight and force me to look more confident (something I think I've improved on when wearing flats, too.) I mean, when you're this height as a woman, you have two choices: look more confident than average (because you're standing up nice and straight, maybe wearing heels, and generally owning it), or look less confident than average (because you're miserable and slouchy - and you still totally stand out because you're still tall!)

But I do envy women who are considerably shorter, and wearing heels just means that they not only look good, but it gives them a desired two or three extra inches of height. Worrying about height and how it affects how others see me - especially men - is a hassle I could do without in life.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

violaine

^Have you been to the Netherlands, silk? Just wondering - tall men and women abound!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    ^Have you been to the Netherlands, silk? Just wondering - tall men and women abound!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

average male height -- 6' 1/2" ? Wowsers!

Bell curve normal distribution example of American female height:

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~naras/...alDensity.html

An Example
    Let us apply the Empirical Rule to Example 1.17 from Moore and McCabe.

The distribution of heights of American women aged 18 to 24 is approximately normally distributed with mean 65.5 inches and standard deviation 2.5 inches. From the above rule, it follows that

68% of these American women have heights between 65.5 - 2.5 and 65.5 + 2.5 inches, or between 63 and 68 inches, 95% of these American women have heights between 65.5 - 2(2.5) and 65.5 + 2(2.5) inches, or between 63 and 68 inches.

Therefore, the tallest 2.5% of these women are taller than 70.5 inches. (The extreme 5% fall more than two standard deviations, or 5 inches from the mean. And since all normal distributions are symmetric about their mean, half of these women are the tall side.)

Almost all young American women are between 58 and 73 inches in height if you use the 99.7% calculations.
    So females around 5'11" or 6' are within the tallest 2.5% of the American female population but not quite in the top 0.3% height-wise.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I have, but only briefly. I think in that respect, Denmark appeals more to me. Or maybe Germany. Hmmm...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING