User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    What is your current height and weight?

And uh, to keep this from being the fluffiest thread ever, talk about how you feel about your weight and height, if and how you aquired it, if you like it, etc.

I'm 5' 7" and 143 lbs.

I still feel that I'm too thin though; I've been lifting for a while and plan on continuing to improve my muscle mass. Hopefully I'll be able to weigh around 150 or something in the near future. I dispise my height though; I'm too damn short! Everyone else is freakin taller than me!
    5'9.5'' - I hover between 125-130lb. I am most comfortable at the 120-125lb range, though my doctor nags me if I get below 125. Anything above 130 is gross on me, and uncomfortable on several levels. I'm pretty tall, but have a small bone frame [my dad was tall & lanky, my mom is tiny in height & frame, so I assume these traits are genetic factors]. My INTP friend is 5'11''/150-160lb, lean, and actually has similar proportions to me, because her bone frame is larger, if that makes sense. 125-130 is just where my body naturally stands.

I'm presently lacking in a lot of lean muscle I once had.. I was never bulky/''built,'' but I had more tone/strength before I fractured my spine in 2007, had bone surgery on my heel in 2010, dealt with other illness through a lot of last year. I'm slowly getting back into a good routine of physical activity. Mainly to protect my crappy bones/joints. I miss my bike.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

NPR on BMI:

"3. It is physiologically wrong.

It makes no allowance for the relative proportions of bone, muscle and fat in the body. But bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat, so a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI. Thus, athletes and fit, health-conscious movie stars who work out a lot tend to find themselves classified as overweight or even obese.
    "

Yes, people are fatter than they once were. I of all people agree with this statement, you won't get any argument from me about that one, I'm the person saying "JESUS HOW ARE TEENAGERS SO MUCH FATTER THAN THEY WERE WHEN I WAS ONE? IF YOU'RE THAT BIG AT 17 WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE TEN YEARS OLDER AND HAVE KIDS?"

So yeah...

On the other hand, people have better bones than they once did. You can even compare yourself sometimes to poorer people from "developing" countries as a well-nourished American (or European) and note how big your bones are. My bones are bigger and stronger than my own mother's. Like my wrists are bigger than hers, down to the bone, even when she weighs more than me...and I inherited her figure. Also, my ENTJ friend from Russia had FREAKISHLY SMALL BONES for a guy...I was just like WTF...because it wasn't about his weight, it was about how small his bones were. My ESFJ exes mother (who was English and actually from England) was overweight, but also had freakishly small bones...and his were very big and strong.

Note how much taller and broader people are than they were compared to 100-200 years ago, when they are totally fit. Doorways actually are higher and wider now. Apparently there are still people who have this smallness that seems more primitive to us, and it's actually something we've literally grown out of. For example, I have never had a broken bone in my entire life. I look at pictures of some women in the past or in other cultures and they look like you could break them and half...and no wonder some of them have osteoporosis now that they're old. It's a combination of poor nutrition and lack of strengthening exercise (which women were once discouraged from doing, and still are in some cultures).

So..there's that. And people who are athletic or otherwise work out or work outdoors and are very strong might look fitter and sexier but weigh more than someone who is more sedentary.

Full article here.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

I'm 5'11" and 186 lbs.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    NPR on BMI:

"3. It is physiologically wrong.

It makes no allowance for the relative proportions of bone, muscle and fat in the body. But bone is denser than muscle and twice as dense as fat, so a person with strong bones, good muscle tone and low fat will have a high BMI. Thus, athletes and fit, health-conscious movie stars who work out a lot tend to find themselves classified as overweight or even obese.
    "

Yes, people are fatter than they once were. I of all people agree with this statement, you won't get any argument from me about that one, I'm the person saying "JESUS HOW ARE TEENAGERS SO MUCH FATTER THAN THEY WERE WHEN I WAS ONE? IF YOU'RE THAT BIG AT 17 WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE TEN YEARS OLDER AND HAVE KIDS?"

So yeah...

On the other hand, people have better bones than they once did. You can even compare yourself sometimes to poorer people from "developing" countries as a well-nourished American (or European) and note how big your bones are. My bones are bigger and stronger than my own mother's. Like my wrists are bigger than hers, down to the bone, even when she weighs more than me...and I inherited her figure. Also, my ENTJ friend from Russia had FREAKISHLY SMALL BONES for a guy...I was just like WTF...because it wasn't about his weight, it was about how small his bones were.

So..there's that. And people who are athletic or otherwise work out or work outdoors and are very strong might look fitter and sexier but weigh more than someone who is more sedentary.

Full article here.
    A fantastic post by Marmsie!!

Here's a funny story about BMI being a fukt means to evaliate bodybuilders.

Last year I had to get a sleep study via a pulmonary doctor in order to get a CPAP machine.

So after the sleep study one of the pulmonary nurses was reviewing the summary with me.

She said since I had 56 apnea events per hour I qualified for a free CPAP machine.

Then she told me I was morbidly obese and that was why I had sleep apnea.

To which I said "Ok wait a minute."

I took off my shirt, flexed my chest, and then flexed my arms, and then tritely said:

"Yeah, I really feel bad that my obesity has caused me to develop sleep apnea. Your opinion is no longer valid to me; I'm done working with you. You can send thr doctor in to close out my chart. Good bye."

Fuck the BMI, and damn any medical professional who accepts it as irrefutably trie and equally applicable to all people.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Muscle and bone structure contribute to weight. Muscle, for starters, weighs more than fat.

That's why many people believe the BMI thingy is crap.
    It was a self-effacing joke; I've actually just got a decent amount of muscle

Though I could still stand to lose a few pounds.. workin' on it.

Also, the BMI is a terrible metric.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    A fantastic post by Marmsie!! ...

Fuck the BMI, and damn any medical professional who accepts it as irrefutably trie and equally applicable to all people.

-Alex
    I agree.

The BMI is bullshit. Perhaps in 1850 it was reasonably accurate. Now? Give me a freakin' break...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    A fantastic post by Marmsie!!

Here's a funny story about BMI being a fukt means to evaliate bodybuilders.

Last year I had to get a sleep study via a pulmonary doctor in order to get a CPAP machine.

So after the sleep study one of the pulmonary nurses was reviewing the summary with me.

She said since I had 56 apnea events per hour I qualified for a free CPAP machine.

Then she told me I was morbidly obese and that was why I had sleep apnea.

To which I said "Ok wait a minute."

I took off my shirt, flexed my chest, and then flexed my arms, and then tritely said:

"Yeah, I really feel bad that my obesity has caused me to develop sleep apnea. Your opinion is no longer valid to me; I'm done working with you. You can send thr doctor in to close out my chart. Good bye."

-Alex
    oh yes you're so obese halla! How could she even say that to you with a straight face?

It makes no sense to use a 200 year old equation when people are visibly taller and have more bone density on average in the Western world.

The bone density thing is so apparent in my own family, and in my exes family even in one generation. My exes mom was clearly obese (truly) but has a neckbone and wrists almost like a child. Bone is heavy.

Im also not talking about the femur expansion in long term clinically obese persons, but overall bone density due to nutrition and simply being more athletic.

MBTI
    ISTx

5'10/170

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    6'1.5"
    Wtf?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i've been pretty skinny my whole life but i also think i'm relatively big boned. like i don't have a lot of body fat (or muscle) but my frame isn't tiny, so if i'm at a low enough weight i just look really bony and unhealthy. people will tell me how tiny i am and guess that i weigh 100 pounds, but the lowest i've ever been at this height is around 115 but i'm usually closer to 125 or up to 135.

also i'm kinda scared i'm shrinking. i used to be close to 5'9 but now i'm barely 5'8.