Apparently not.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I'd like to live in a large converted barn. More windows, lots of open space... maybe put in a basketball hoop.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I'd like to live in a large converted barn. More windows, lots of open space... maybe put in a basketball hoop.
    That'd be pretty cool. I have kind of a fantasy sometimes about moving out to the middle of nowhere, growing all our own food and sewing our own clothes and stuff... complete opposite of city life, but hey, I like extremes.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

i love living in the city. and i'm very bad with anything that has
    to do with home maintenance, so i've always lived in serviced
    apartments, since coming straight out of college with corporate
    housing allowances.

eventually i just want to move into a hotel suite and live like
    nucky thompson.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTP

One thing I've never understood is apartment dwellers complaining about suburban houses all looking alike....in the first place, its not true, at least as far as the suburbs I've lived in are concerned, and the different yards add plenty of diversity, anyway....but most importantly, apartments all pretty much look the same, and there usually isn't any greenery around to break up the monotony of a bunch of rectangular buildings separated by concrete and steel.

Bottom line, if buildings are not surrounded by trees (real trees, not decorative saplings that are shorter than houses), I'm not particularly interested in living there.

There's nothing wrong with preferring city life....but there's something very wrong with looking down on people who prefer other surroundings. I remember various professional news/entertainment/lifestyle commentors from several years ago who were apparently shocked by survey's showing that suburban dwellers were generally happy and satified with their lifestyle, rather than living unfulfilled lives of quiet desparation, as commonly portrayed in movies.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    One thing I've never understood is apartment dwellers complaining about suburban houses all looking alike....in the first place, its not true, at least as far as the suburbs I've lived in are concerned, and the different yards add plenty of diversity, anyway....but most importantly, apartments all pretty much look the same
    If this is in reference to my comment, I'm not an apartment dweller. There are houses in the city too.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I hate apartments, but I miss being in a city.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    If this is in reference to my comment, I'm not an apartment dweller. There are houses in the city too.
    The post wasn't specifically aimed towards you, just a response to things I've heard from several city-living snobs over the years, most of whom lived in apartments....though in the case of city houses, they usually lack the multitude of large trees that I prefer (though I've seen a few, hugely expensive, exceptions).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The post wasn't specifically aimed towards you, just a response to things I've heard from several city-living snobs over the years, most of whom lived in apartments....though in the case of city houses, they usually lack the multitude of large trees that I prefer (though I've seen a few, hugely expensive, exceptions).
    we have a lot of trees in our yard... we had to buy a shade blend for the grass because we get very little sunlight in the yard because of them

it's not an expensive neighborhood either by any means... it's just an older one where the trees have had time to grow
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    we have a lot of trees in our yard... we had to buy a shade blend for the grass because we get very little sunlight in the yard because of them
    It sounds wonderful.

And to be fair, I've usually lived in the older suburbs (the neighborhood I live in has curbs made from granite mined at Stone Mountain several decades ago, and the towering trees were probably much less impressive when the houses were new)....newer construction often has smaller yards, fewer and shorter trees, and houses with less variation in construction.