User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Slumming it...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If there's one thing I hate about city dwellers it's all the whining they do about the suburban drones they desperately fear becoming.
    Agreed.

The hipster mindset applied to housing choice.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Agreed.

Hipster is a derogatory word mostly used to point out the hyprocracy of trying to be original while actually being a smug conformists. But, essentially it's not the skinny jeans and knit hats that make a smug conformist. There are plenty of smug conformists in suits. I'm absoltely fine with the non smug conformists, BTW.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

We don't have the city/suburbs mentality here -- but I'm a city girl and I like the hustle and bustle and the car noises out my window at night
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I come from a very rural area originally and now live in a very diverse and working class urban neighborhood... At various points between I lived in a college town, in a cheap apartment in the hood and in the suburbs in a housing edition for two months... Gotta say that I hated the housing edition the most because the neighbor kids kept playing in our fenced in back yard, nothing was open at night, we were restricted on house color and number of cars we could have and the final straw was when the neighborhood association left a note on the door telling us to mow the lawn... Which was annoying because I'd just gotten it mowed the week before...what sort of monsters are these people? I was busy working... And work is more important than lawn care anyways...work pays for that lawn

After that I happily fled back to the happy and laid back confines of the hood... Where I can survive in peace without some idiots not minding their own business we aren't really a couple who NEEDS a lot of expensive things to feel like people... If it was just me I could be happy in an apartment even (he likes having a house though)...and as long as I don't get bitten by rabid crack whores I really prefer the people in the hood because they are usually nicer to me

So in other words I totally understand!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm a ghetto wannabe playboy, does that count?
    I like rap; I say bro, whazzup, nigga...just do my thang, ya feel me?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Your post reminded me of this
    I was thinking the same thing....

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    If there's one thing I hate about city dwellers it's all the whining they do about the suburban drones they desperately fear becoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Agreed.

Not everyone who lives in the city is a hipster (though,sure, there are plenty), just like not everyone who lives in teh suburbs is a drone (though, sure, there are plenty).

Sorry, but the suburbs just aren't for everyone. I don't understand houses that are too big for the number of people living in them. I grew up in a house like this, and it took all day to clean. What's the point of that? You either spend 1/2 of your weekend cleaning space you barely use, or you pay someone else to do it. Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning my own house. My little house takes a couple of hours to clean.

I hate gardening and yard work, so I don't want a big yard that I'm expected to maintain based on other people's standards of what is "nice."

I like the hustle and bustle of the city; of being surrounded by people without having to actually be "with" them. I like the quirky things that happen in cities that are called "weird" in the 'burbs. I like neighborhoods where all the houses look different. I like being able to walk, bike, or take the bus to places, and living close to my workplace, instead of spending half of my life driving.

There are plenty of valid reasons to enjoy the city. Sure, "image" is one of them, but not the only one. Just like there are plenty of valid reasons to live in the 'burbs-- including, but not limited to "image."
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Not everyone who lives in the city is a hipster (though,sure, there are plenty), just like not everyone who lives in teh suburbs is a drone (though, sure, there are plenty).
    Just giving them a spoonful of vinegar in repayment miss.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their way of living(opinion, tastes etc...).

And as always, while some members of X are Y not all members of X are Y. (where X is some class of people, and Y is a derogatory term that applies to some members of that class).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

"Miss"? Really?
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't think I'll ever reach economical contentment. There's a lot I want to do, and it all requires money.

I've started the seedlings of my tiny house journey, living in a dwelling under $50k on land that I'll own. I've never lived in more than 550 sq. ft. of my own for my entire life. My childhood I spent 80% of my time in a 10x8 space called 'my' room. I moved out into a studio apartment I loved that was 550 sq. ft. and I loved every bit of it. Small enough to clean and maintain, big enough to have people over. I've lived in open military barracks where a twin-sized bunk and a closet was all I had of my own, and now I live in a storage container 8x18 and I share it with someone. My personal living space is 6x6.

I don't plan on buying a large cookie cutter house. But.. my ambitions are very materialistic, I'd say. I want a quirky house in the form of a hobbit home, I want a large entertaining area built on my land for year-round enjoyment. I want to travel a lot. a LOT. I like visiting my friends, my hobbies involve nerdy things, I collect expensive collectors items for no good reason.. I'd say I'd never be done, even though I'm always satisfied. If I don't have something to reach for, I think I'd be sluggish and worthless.

But if I do decide to work.. it'll be only for ambitious notes, not because I need the job to continue on. By the time I'm 30 I'm not going to be struggling or living paycheck to paycheck, and I'll have my education. Not a lot of people can say that anymore.

I dunno what slumming around means. but this above is what I do.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge