User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Slumming it...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I hate apartment living. I am a large person and I like to stomp around.

I may even throw in a few jumps and karate kicks as well.
    Same.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Some ISTJ or INTP, I bet...
    I like them. Dandelions...

I don't get living in rough neighborhoods, though. I grew up in one and was glad to leave that crap behind. Nothing like the lack of the sound of gunfire to make you appreciate peace and quiet. I didn't get people moving to those neighborhoods to gentrify them either...all I could think was, "Who the hell wants to live in Springfield???" Never mind some of the houses are truly dazzling.

Peace and quiet doesn't equal suburbia. I kinda like isolated places but close enough to drive to stuff I want/like/need.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i really don't mind living in a rough neighborhood, there are downsides like not having any real grocery stores nearby and not feeling comfortable walking around alone at night, but i still like it here a lot. i guess it's slowly gentrifying a little, people have told me that 10 years ago i definitely wouldn't be living here, but it's still a lot of people who have grown up around here. and the neighbors are super friendly for the most part, when me and my roommate first moved here we had people bringing us free beer and weed, telling us if anyone messed with us to let them know, etc. plus one of my favorite people in the world is my 61 year old next door neighbor who on the outside is just some crazy old drunk man but is a huge sweetheart and hilarious.

I think you'd have to be a little oblivious to live in one willingly. I've been in bad ones.. I never showed it, but never liked it. They put me enough on edge where I think I might have taken it out on friends for panicking. But I'm no different than they are.

BTW, I have two acquaintences (one more of a friend) who showed up where they didn't belong and got bullets in their heads. That probably contributes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I like them.

I don't get living in rough neighborhoods, though. I grew up in one and was glad to leave that crap behind. Nothing like the lack of the sound of gunfire to make you appreciate peace and quiet. I didn't get people moving to those neighborhoods to gentrify them either...all I could think was, "Who the hell wants to live in Springfield???" Never mind some of the houses are truly dazzling.

Peace and quiet doesn't equal suburbia. I kinda like isolated places but close enough to drive to stuff I want/like/need.
    True. That's why I like my "borderline" neighborhood. It's residential, pretty quiet and safe, but still in the thick of things and gritty enough to be down-to-earth.

My spouse and I both have decent incomes, and we could probably live in the 'burbs with two new cars and a perfect lawn if we wanted to. But I prefer to live more frugally to be able to put some money aside for the future or in case of emergency. We live comfortably and definitely have more than we need, but not exorbitantly so. That suits my lifestyle preference and conscience.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

I hate the borgousie too man

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    On the flip side, I get so irritated when people talk for hours on end about their lawn treatments at work. Or when my coworker bitches non stop about having to get home to have them repair his $1500 treadmill yet again. Or when people are so happy to move out of their beautiful old turn of the century homes and into some cloned characterless 2x4 built home in a neighborhood with an HOA that won't even let people put up a clothes line because it looks low class.
    This irks me as well. I have no patience with "keeping up with the Joneses". If people want all this claptrap, let them at least really want it for their own purposes. My SO and I also have no patience for HOAs, and are very much live-and-let-live. We don't try to tell our neighbors how to live, and don't want them telling us unless we are actually getting in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Who the hell truly aims to live to work to pay for a house they only sleep in to wake up to work to pay for life to live to work to live to wait to die- when they're old and can finally ''rest'' or- ''enjoy life'' in their ''golden years''- old, rotting in florida and khaki shorts and big socks, or maybe going to the Grand Canyon in their RV with a spouse they hate or hardly even know. It's really all just wasting time and waiting for the inevitable, and letting perceived needs dictate & limit your own ability to authentically live.
    The highlighted seems pointless to me as well. I am able to live relatively close to my workplace, and have spent significant time and money making my house a place to enjoy precisely because I do spend much more than sleeping time there. I am very much a homebody, as is my SO, and this is far more important to us than wasting money on what many people consider to be entertainment.

Neither one of us enjoys city life, though: too many people, too much noise/traffic, etc. We live in a very interesting house on ~5 acres where we have plenty of privacy, room to garden and just enjoy our surroundings. We also try to live rather gently on the earth, watching water use, energy use, recycling, etc. In a way, our home reflects our values, but perhaps that is so for everyone.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The highlighted seems pointless to me as well. I am able to live relatively close to my workplace, and have spent significant time and money making my house a place to enjoy precisely because I do spend much more than sleeping time there. I am very much a homebody, as is my SO, and this is far more important to us than wasting money on what many people consider to be entertainment.

Neither one of us enjoys city life, though: too many people, too much noise/traffic, etc. We live in a very interesting house on ~5 acres where we have plenty of privacy, room to garden and just enjoy our surroundings. We also try to live rather gently on the earth, watching water use, energy use, recycling, etc. In a way, our home reflects our values, but perhaps that is so for everyone.
    Yeah, I didn't really mean situations like yours- I meant it seems that a lot of people will compromise their overall quality of life to be wage slaves- blindly, never pausing to consider that there is or could be any other way to exist. Getting up every day to be somewhere that robs them of all their energy to enjoy life outside of work. Come home and stare at the TV set for hours, glazed over. They are unhappy with not just their jobs, but the lives they've structured around the job--possibly a particular job they have only because they were ''expected'' to, if that makes sense. Just an arbitrary example. That, is no life to me, and an empty life for anyone, imo. As I clarified to Discobisuit, I didn't direct that at anyone in particular, it was a personal, rhetorical question. I understand that values vary, so too will how we live. As long as it's what we really want, then whatever direction we choose is worth all the time and sacrifice in the world.

::edit:: I just re-read your comment.. I misread your comments as something to the effect of, ''The highlighted points to me as well,'' like you might've been, err, offended by my description, haha.

Need more coffee. Must remember how to read.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I hate the borgousie too man
    How do you define that?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This irks me as well. I have no patience with "keeping up with the Joneses". If people want all this claptrap, let them at least really want it for their own purposes. My SO and I also have no patience for HOAs, and are very much live-and-let-live. We don't try to tell our neighbors how to live, and don't want them telling us unless we are actually getting in their way.

I don't really believe in keeping up with the Jones at all, but there is nothing wrong with spending money on nice things that you are really going to use as long as you aren't over-stretching yourself. We live in a beautiful red brick house with a roof that has lots of peaks, lots of windows everywhere overlooking a valley, and a two story screen porch/balcony. There are some really cool features in the interior of the house, from the built in entertainment center, 2 marble fireplaces, wood and granite floors, sideways transoms between pillers in the foyer. etc. There is a lot of recessed rope lighting throughout the house which looks great - like in the in oak barrel ceiling in my office, etc. The house sits on a 1.25 acre lot and there are lots of trees and a horse farm across the road. It's quite idyllic though a bit large. So, it's just a great place to live. It's gone down in value from what I paid for it 12 years ago but who cares really. The people behind us have a 10000 square foot house and the people next door have a 7000 foot house, so we're pretty much slumming it compared to them. They also have a really great view. Ours is partially obstructed (now - didn't use to be).

It's really much more sensible financially to have a smaller house. If you get the greatest happiness from experiences, then I think it pays to get a really cool/nice place that is small enough that it facilitates interaction given the number of people living there and that is beautiful and very nice to live in. Whenever I come home, I'm like "wow" it's so nice here. Seriously. It's too big though. Yard work is boring and I'm allergic, so this is outsourced.

We're going to look at some condos in downtown Chicago Saturday as a potential investment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

If there's one thing I hate about city dwellers it's all the whining they do about the suburban drones they desperately fear becoming.