User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Slumming it...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Qlip, OMG, YES, I totally get where you're coming from! I grew up in the suburbs, and I always knew something about it felt wrong for me. The minute I could, I moved to an apartment in the city and have never looked back.

Being female, I was always a bit more careful about what kind of neighborhood I lived in, and my husband enforces that now () especially since we're thinking about having kids now and what not, and there are definitely no after-midnight walks. My neighborhood that I live in now is residential, and the few blocks around us are pretty safe, but it is technically in one of the skeevier neighborhoods of St Paul. (It's known as Frogtown, but we're right on the edge, so not in the thick of it.) But as long as I feel safe, I'd much rather be around working class people who have to work to make a living, and many of whom (like my spouse) work in plants or mills or factories instead of in a skyscraper in Minneapolis. (Not that I have anything against skyscrapers in Mpls-- I love them, actually, but lots of people who work in them are just not my kind of people.) And I don't give a damn about the lawn.

Another example-- when my spouse proposed to me, he did so in front of our old apartment building in Minneapolis. It wasn't anything fancy, no big public display or fancy dinner or weekend getaway. But it was AWESOME, because a few minutes after I said 'Yes,' and we were still hugging and kissing and smiling outside the building, a crackhead (we think) walked by and asked us for a lighter. We said we didn't have one, and he said "That's okay man.... hey, you two make a good couple. You should marry each other!" It was great, a proper city moment.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I hate apartment living. I am a large person and I like to stomp around.

I may even throw in a few jumps and karate kicks as well.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    yes it's boring...there's nothing wrong with preferring a different sort of crowd or living environment. i would prefer to live in the city also with friends more interested in the arts or psychology or something other than bs gossiping about neighbors or home repair etc....home design i can get into but yeah boring chit chat of suburbia no thanks.
    And the truth is, it isn't so much of the suburban prattle that bugs me. There's prattle no matter where you go. It's the confused looks they give me when I express my disinterest.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Your post reminded me of this
    Lol
    Yeah, that's a fun site. I'm not white.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I don't want ''people'' to do anything-- their lives, their values.

Personally, though, my alternatives are:

Secret things.
    Search for loopholes in systems, things of that nature.
    ..I'll leave this for someone else to elaborate on.
    Exactly! Mow your lawn if you love your lawn.. just don't dis my beautiful dandelions. I love loopholes. The biggest loopholes are all there out in the open like giant pink elephants.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Qlip, OMG, YES, I totally get where you're coming from! I grew up in the suburbs, and I always knew something about it felt wrong for me. The minute I could, I moved to an apartment in the city and have never looked back.

Being female, I was always a bit more careful about what kind of neighborhood I lived in, and my husband enforces that now () especially since we're thinking about having kids now and what not, and there are definitely no after-midnight walks. My neighborhood that I live in now is residential, and the few blocks around us are pretty safe, but it is technically in one of the skeevier neighborhoods of St Paul. (It's known as Frogtown, but we're right on the edge, so not in the thick of it.) But as long as I feel safe, I'd much rather be around working class people who have to work to make a living, and many of whom (like my spouse) work in plants or mills or factories instead of in a skyscraper in Minneapolis. (Not that I have anything against skyscrapers in Mpls-- I love them, actually, but lots of people who work in them are just not my kind of people.) And I don't give a damn about the lawn.

Another example-- when my spouse proposed to me, he did so in front of our old apartment building in Minneapolis. It wasn't anything fancy, no big public display or fancy dinner or weekend getaway. But it was AWESOME, because a few minutes after I said 'Yes,' and we were still hugging and kissing and smiling outside the building, a crackhead (we think) walked by and asked us for a lighter. We said we didn't have one, and he said "That's okay man.... hey, you two make a good couple. You should marry each other!" It was great, a proper city moment.
    Yeah, that's lovely. Yeah, you do have to pay attention to where you live when kids are involved. But there is much more out there than a white picket fence. My happiest time in suburbia before it went downhill was starting to renovate my own 'Addams Family' house in an old neighborhood. It was going to be magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

Yeah, I got myself a ground level. I stomp on the ground and do pullups off the radiator pipes. The building is old, the thick plaster stops a lot of noise. Of course there are those lead footed bastards above me.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I was about to say, I'd agree that apartment living can suck if you really like loud music [I do]. & I prefer to have it fill a room vs just my ears through headphones. Also, I am guilty of singing in the shower - loudly- it's a great place to vocally warm-up; opens the airways, moisturizes the larynx, relaxes the shoulder/neck muscles.

Fortunately, though, all the apts I've lived in so far weren't terribly upscale, so they had no specific noise regulations. And the people nextdoor/above me always played loud music.. and yelled and fucked a lot.. haha. But they never complained about my playing music, & actually a couple complimented my, uhm- shower songs- when I was getting my mail. It's like an unspoken rule in cheaper apts, in my experience. Whatever one person does, that could be annoying, that you know you also do, then it's a draw, and you either let it get to you regardless, or let it grow on you with some odd sense of affection.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I was about to say, I'd agree that apartment living can suck if you really like loud music [I do]. & I prefer to have it fill a room vs just my ears through headphones. Also, I am guilty of singing in the shower - loudly- it's a great place to vocally warm-up; opens the airways, moisturizes the larynx, relaxes the shoulder/neck muscles.

Fortunately, though, all the apts I've lived in so far weren't terribly upscale, so they had no specific noise regulations. And the people nextdoor/above me always played loud music.. and yelled and fucked a lot.. haha. But they never complained about my playing music, & actually a couple complimented my, uhm- shower songs- when I was getting my mail. It's like an unspoken rule in cheaper apts, in my experience. Whatever one person does, that could be annoying, that you know you also do, then it's a draw, and you either let it get to you regardless, or let it grow on you with some odd sense of affection.
    Listening to a better sex life would really suck.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Listening to a better sex life would really suck.
    Not if the people make hilarious noises and say ridiculous things.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Not if the people make hilarious noises and say ridiculous things.
    That's just good old fashioned family fun.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Mow your lawn if you love your lawn.. just don't dis my beautiful dandelions.
    I like dandelions, too . Who decided that they're weeds and not flowers?
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I like dandelions, too . Who decided that they're weeds and not flowers?
    Some ISTJ or INTP, I bet...

At any rate, whoever it was- obviously had little appreciation for the value of dandelions, as their significance is clearly depicted in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

That's just good old fashioned family fun.
    I'm not envious of any of what I heard. I was mainly amused, and when disturbed, forced myself into denial in the form of amusement.