User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Gas Prices

Default Gas Prices

I find it funny that people are complaining about their gas price nearing $4 a gallon.

Just be happy it ain't $4.3 a gallon. So, all you people complaining about a $3.8 a gallon It is soo like 2 years ago.

It is like, "Been there, done that already..... you just started? Where have you been?"

An even better reason to put more alternative fuel on the road.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

It's even funnier when the person doing the complaining is driving a hummer or escalade or some other ridiculous gas guzzler.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I guess if driving is just something you do for fun, then it's not a big deal.

When you're commuting an hour because the work is one direction and your kids are in the other, it's a real bitch since even a small fluctuation in price has hefty monthly prices on gas consumption... along with all the other things in life that need to get paid for.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I guess if driving is just something you do for fun, then it's not a big deal.

When you're commuting an hour because the work is one direction and your kids are in the other, it's a real bitch since even a small fluctuation in price has hefty monthly prices on gas consumption... along with all the other things in life that need to get paid for.
    I've heard of people around here willing to drive at 45-55mph on the freeway just to conserve gas. It's crazy.

I've learned a while back to just keep my driving habits to a certain degree to conserve gas. If I don't absolutely have to, I wont.

But I've known of others who drive here from far that complain about just that. $30 or more one way and $30 more just to go back is tooo much.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I've heard of people around here willing to drive at 45-55mph on the freeway just to conserve gas. It's crazy.

I've learned a while back to just keep my driving habits to a certain degree to conserve gas. If I don't absolutely have to, I wont.

But I've known of others who drive here from far that complain about just that. $30 or more one way and $30 more just to go back is tooo much.
    Yeah, like I said, if you're just doing it for leisure/fun, then I don't have much sympathy. But when you're stuck driving, it sucks to watch your monthly budget go down the tubes over an chunky increase in the gas prices.

It's pretty amazing how quickly it buggers the economy too. When you get 18-wheelers who spend a few hundred bucks on gas per tank to start with and operate as independent contractors and get reimbursed only monthly, who have to drive large distances in one trip so it adds up very quickly... they can't afford to stay in operation, which then further chokes the transportation of goods and.. .well, when the trucking industry gets buggered, then suddenly everything that depends on trucks for transports will be suffering immediate rate hikes. Our economy is very keyed into fuel prices.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

American gas prices are subsidized by citizens through their federal taxes and are therefore cheap at the pump.

My vehicle costs $25USD less to fill up down here compared to Canada [the same vehicle], and in Europe their prices are multiples of what we have in North America.

I'm not saying that it doesn't hit people hard, but that it will hit people a lot harder. And until it does, urban planning/development/the entire system that upholds this heavy dependence on oil is just contributing to the problem that's going to need solving really soon. Amsterdam has urban planning down as a beautiful and functional model. We know what to do we just need more Americans to be hit harder until they say "enough!" and demand systemic change. I think removing the tax subsidies is the first step, so gas prices are genuinely visible, but obviously there are powerful people who don't want that legislation to happen.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

My vehicle costs $25USD less to fill up down here compared to Canada [the same vehicle], and in Europe their prices are multiples of what we have in North America.
    THIS THIS THIS 1.36 per litre in Canada is a low that i've seen, though on my current roadtrip away from lower mainland has seen a light drop. But the Americans prices translate to around 1.18 per litre I understand. And we certainly aren't driving any slower. Damn Albertans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

and in Europe their prices are multiples of what we have in North America.

Amsterdam has urban planning down as a beautiful and functional model. We know what to do we just need more Americans to be hit harder until they say "enough!" and demand systemic change.
    People don't have to drive nearly as far in European countries.

As far as urban planning is concerned, that works fine for cities, but can't address (would be prohibitively expensive) Suburban sprawl and rural areas.

The car is here to stay.

If we can get off using oil for anything but transportation, I think that would buy us enough time to figure out hydrogen powered cars or w/e.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    People don't have to drive nearly as far in European countries.
    That's another one of the issues too, that sprang to mind as I was thinking about the trucking industry last night. Geographical needs are different here than in Europe, that way.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I usually spend $4.25 a gallon, but then again, I use premium grade since I have a high performance engine with a lot of miles.

And anyone who preaches about alternative fuel sources is completely naive. Very few people are willing to pay $40k for a Chevy Volt. That damn piece of shit doesn't even go over 80. It's like a Hyundai for crying out loud.

I guess the general trend is to blame the President.