^sadly that list is for 7 yrs outdated :/
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    If it's any consolation, the price is around U$$ 8/gallon in Brazil. 100% compound taxes ftw.
    Gas is not for the poor - they must use public transportation and be eco-friendly.
    The US standard to require the poor and middle-class to have things they can't afford.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yeah. So Canadians have the worst aspects of both worlds. American distances, UK-ish prices?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

American distances... Are schools, workplaces, supermarkets, restaurants, cinemas farther from your home because the country they are in is larger?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    American distances... Are schools, workplaces, supermarkets, restaurants, cinemas farther from your home because the country they are in is larger?
    They can be more distant depending on where one lives.

But there's also a lot more required mobility between cities, and I think people regularly have long commutes. It's not uncommon for people to commute 1-2 hours one way to work daily, believe it or not. Families can also be more spread apart, yet still want to visit each other. And I think I've mentioned the trucking industry and the shipping of goods, which is a huge drain on the system and highly suspectible to gas price fluctuations. Gas prices directly impact purchasing, which directly impacts the economy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Lol gasoline is cheap in usa. Imo the price should be atleast doubled, so that people would stop wasting it, and it would force people to use public transportation. Naturally the crappy public transportation in most areas in usa should be fixed too, but with gas that cheap people dont have a need for that, so companies providing it wouldnt succeed, also if its not already like that, public transportation companies shouod be owned by the city and government giving some requirements for the city about it.
    Theoretically, I agree completely, but practically, everything is so far apart that regularly using public transportation plus walking here is largely unrealistic. You'd probably need 3 buses just to get to a small business on the opposite side of my city. There's one lady I work with who has to have her schedule slightly adjusted from everyone else's because she rides the bus - she's allowed to get in 25 minutes later and leave 25 minutes later, since there's no earlier bus. And she still has to walk about a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus
    I would assume so. More room to build, they thought. Many cities are on very old grids, too. In my city - 270,000ish people - there are many large neighborhoods that sprang up. So there are many different parts of town with different qualities. I went to high school about 20 minutes away because it had a better program... my work is about 10 minutes away by car - it would be an okay, if long, bike ride but very hilly, you'd have to cross a huge street with no crosswalks, and horrible if it was rainy... nearest supermarket is about 7 minutes away by car - again an okay bike ride but very hilly and having to cross a major street again... nearest restaurant about 10 minutes away.... nearest cinema about 15... Most of my friends live about 20 minutes away. Downtown is 25 minutes away by car... so even if I would bike around downtown, it's a matter of getting there first.

Many people seem to wish now that things were closer together. But there are still people like my dad who say they prefer their big lawns and privacy in the outer suburbs.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Yeah. So Canadians have the worst aspects of both worlds. American distances, UK-ish prices?
    Nah, I think the UK is more expensive, but theres lots of areas here in Canada where driving is a must, and there ARE longer distances. So we end up paying quite a bit. We fill up once every couple weeks or so, maybe less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It can be. If you live in the city portions, I'd assume many of those features are nearby. But what you pay to be so close to those facility is $$$ and not everyone is willing to pay those $$$ just to be so close to those facilities.

Where I live, the nearest supermarket is not necessarily the cheapest. In fact, it is more expensive than driving 10 minutes more to another part of town.

Take SF and New York as a startling example. More people from SF have actually decided to do longer commutes by living here because housing is just that much cheaper here. While the housing in SF has gone up year by year... the housing here has been fairly cheap in comparison. Their trade-off for moving here? Longer commutes and a boring town. Everyone around here says that everyone and everything is in SF. There is no BART system here where you can travel to another part of town, the only thing similar is the LRT.... which still has limitations as it requires the use of buses. Taking the bus here to downtown usually takes longer than driving to downtown and using a parking meter.

There are also the cities like L.A. From what I understand, it is a HUGE sprawling mess of a suburb. One in which my metro really don't want to follow as an example, because everything requires at least some form of drive to get around... and having to commute with thousands of others trying to commute in a suburb is a mess as it is.

It's time-efficiency-convenience at this point with a car.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So why is the price of oil going down, but the price of gas is still going up?