User Tag List

Thread: Discipline

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Discipline

Were you disciplined much as a child? If so, did it make you have discipline? & if not so, how did you get discipline? Or do you not have discipline?

WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE DISCIPLINE
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

garbage

I was routinized as hell growing up. My ISFJ mother ensured that we had routines virtually down to the minute. She is great at managing resources--time, money--which was necessary because my dad was flighty and we grew up poor.

Nowadays? I am pretty conscientious, but I could stand to improve on the day-to-day discipline.

First, my job is very flexible, so I don't have hours placed upon me that force me to get up. So, it's easier for me to 'slack off' on developing a routine. Thank god for that flexibility, though. Because, second, my migraines and mental conditions get in the way of being able to develop a routine--when I develop a routine, those things just wreck it.

I hold high standards for myself, and I have a decently high sense of agency and sense of responsibility. Thus, I make sure that things get done in general. I also have a sense of cause-and-effect, especially for the long-term, which helps me control impulse.

So, I feel like I don't have discipline to the extent that I don't need it. But, again, I could stand to improve.

My ISTJ boss exercises every morning and works from 9 to 6, every day. Part of me admires that. I come in.. maybe 10 or 11-ish, sometimes, and sometimes I leave at 4, or 6, or whatever, and sometimes I stay until 8:30.. sometimes I work weekends or until 2:30am. You know, whenever.. I work when I feel like, but the job always gets done. I kind of wish I had the routine--or at least the capacity to try it.

Discipline requires stability, which in turn helps us develop mental habits. Things that we cannot control that are unstable and that have a great affect on us take a great toll on our discipline.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my mother's idea of disciplining me as a child was to cry and inform me that I'd let her down and was a disappointment... that always had enough of an impact on me that other forms of punishment were unneeded... I certainly didn't want to be a disappointment :horor: that's probably why I work as hard as I do now that I've grown up... I don't want to disappoint anybody

now that I'm out on my own I do have my own sense of discipline... I always go to work and give my best effort no matter what state I'm in, I always rush to have dinner ready at the right time and make sure that the man feels appreciated adequately, I call my grandparents once a week to chat and do the same with my parents and I cut an addiction out of my life when I realized that it controlled me more than vice versa... doesn't mean that I'm not incredibly lazy in my free time when there isn't some pressing need to do something (I've spent most of the day napping or posting on this site... I still have yet to leave the house to pick up groceries because it's just been me here all day ), but when there's something that I know that i need to do, I do it no matter what in most cases otherwise someone might inform me that I'm a disappointment
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I knew what string to pull in order to not get disciplined much and knew this from very early age, i dont even remember the time when i couldnt behave properly. My mom told be that i was always very easy to handle.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Yes, it just made me more conscious of both myself and others to say the least. Disciplined? It depends on what you consider disciplined. Being able to wake up on a day to day basis at around the same time? Sleeping around the same time? Work when I need to work? Do schoolwork when I think I need to do my schoolwork?

Some of those I mentioned would need better discipline. Some of those listed above? I've got them covered.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    My ISTJ boss exercises every morning and works from 9 to 6, every day. Part of me admires that. I come in.. maybe 10 or 11-ish, sometimes, and sometimes I leave at 4, or 6, or whatever, and sometimes I stay until 8:30.. sometimes I work weekends or until 2:30am. You know, whenever.. I work when I feel like, but the job always gets done. I kind of wish I had the routine--or at least the capacity to try it.
    I, on the other hand, would like to break routine more often. I think I've learned that I am somewhat of a person of habit. Once a routine is set, it is set until a new routine finds its way into my day to day schedule. Things are just easier when a schedule is routinized (but not as fun.)

MBTI
    ESFJ

I perceive i was disciplined well until i was around 11/12 years old then it slipped as my mother went through a divorce which i later found out consisted of domestic violence (she hid it really well) so she had a lot to deal with (which i completely understand) so i don't hold any resentment towards her. So although myself and brother became more self reliant and independent (great qualities in adult life) i do feel i could of had a little more discipline in my teenage years as now, although in some areas of my life i am very disciplined such as my work ethic, in other areas i am not very disciplined at all and just walk away.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Were you disciplined much as a child? If so, did it make you have discipline? & if not so, how did you get discipline? Or do you not have discipline?

WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE DISCIPLINE
    I was. Helicopter parents. Father made mother crazy with supervision and they decided everything for us. It's the same manipulation that goes into teaching young children to do horrible things because they don't know any better.

The result:
    A disdain of those that work too hard (purposeful lack of discipline), estrangement of my siblings and father, and a decent relationship with my mother based on our mutual indifference of my father who I decided doesn't exist so I shouldn't use the word father...hmm

AWESOME, RIGHT!

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

discipline is... discerning future benefit of present sacrifice and following it obediently

we assume a lack of discipline is a lack of obedience, but it's usually a lack of proper discernment... not weighing out the future benefit against the present sacrifice correctly in the first place.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

^^ This is an important distinction. I remember, even when very young, having an enormous amount of self-discipline such that my parents never had to monitor or supervise me much to keep me on track. I would be corrected, of course, if I did something of which they disapproved, but this rarely involved punishment. Occasionally they really did know better, being older and wiser. Often, though, the corrections seemed illogical and pointless, as when nitpicking my social behavior, or refusing permission to do something for (to me) no good reason. This was the worst. My mother was particularly irrational, and I learned to appeal to my father if I wanted to make a logical case for something.

For the most part, though, I was self-motivated enough to keep up with homework, practice, and an array of extracurricular interests, initiated and pursued through my own desires. I was very organized, rarely forgot anything or was late to anything, never had to be told to clean my room (though was often reminded to fold the afghan on the couch and put my jacket away). By the time I was 11-12, my parents learned to trust these qualities, and as long as I lived up to it, began to treat me as a young adult. On my end, I exceeded my parents' expectations in most ways. It could have been far worse.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...