User Tag List

First 2345 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't care if you're a sensor or intuitive or whether you use Fe or Fi or any of that other bullshit... it doesn't make you any more special or unique than everyone else... we all use all of the fucking functions so don't feel like you are all that special just because you put it in your type on here.

I don't care if you feel like you're feeling a special type of lonliness that nobody has ever felt before and nobody really understands... it's part of the human condition, everyone feels that way from time to time... it doesn't make you special.

I don't care if you feel misunderstood... we all feel misunderstood because nobody else is exactly us- it's perfectly normal to feel misunderstood... if you NEVER felt misunderstood THAT would be what makes you special... it's not your functions, it's that you are an individual with a unique set of experiences that have added up to you, not that you use more Ni than anyone else or anything

Yes, you may be going through some tough times, they happen to most of us and almost every single one of us gets through them to the other side... this doesn't mean that you're anything special... it means that you're living life

The world and it's citizens don't owe you anything except for the ability to live... and even that's just out of basic niceness... if you really want to be recognized for something you have to do something worth being recognized for... pointing out that you're special because a set of letters that you assigned yourself put you in a minority of the population doesn't grant you that... you didn't do anything for the world so why are you expecting to get paid for it? I have a rather uncommon blood type... I don't go around claiming that I'm worthy of special treatment because of it! (and that's something definite and measurable!)

this doesn't mean that you're worthy of disrespect... it just means that you aren't owed any more respect than anybody else... you're human, get over it!

thanks!

Is your issue exclusively with the elitism or does it just drive you crazy to hear someone go on about how they feel misunderstood? Because there is a difference. And just like it’s grating for any extraverted function to listen to it’s introverted counterpart in someone else go on and on and on, working through (seemingly) superfluous details aloud with another person- it’s equally grating to introverted functions to be told they need to hurry up because what they’re focusing on couldn’t possibly be less important. (Yes, I realize I’m referring to functions here as if they’re capable of actions on their own- anthropomorphizing them- because it’s the easiest way to say it and I’m feeling lazy.)

And I say all this with lots of admiration for you, whatever. Your posts quite often = . Seriously. I’m not sure what set off the frustration behind the op, it may very well be a clear case of elitism (there is definitely some of that going around). But isn’t it possible for someone to go on a tangent about how they feel perpetually misunderstood without necessarily being elitist about their ‘type’? Do you think the only reason anybody would ever say such a thing to another person aloud is because of special snowflake syndrome?

[Again- if this all was set off because of some thread around here where someone is going full rainbow* with their special snowflake syndrome, then nevermind- I haven't gone through most of the threads. There are definitely some people who exalt their type and get condescending. But it does rub me the wrong way how there seems to be a backlash movement- in response to the special snowflake posters- to perceive any kind of discussion on the matter as someone simply trying to establish special-snowflake-ness, like the problem of feeling misunderstood COULDN'T POSSIBLY genuinely exist for someone in the extent that they feel like they need to talk to another person about it. And the people who routinely ride the waves of this backlash actually end up looking just as ridiculous (and self-righteous) as the clearly special snowflake people. ]

*I totally stole "going full rainbow" from Starry
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

People who act elitist or "special" should visit Los Angeles for awhile. Maybe not even that. Hang out with some painters and go to galleries with them or something. Get involved in some scene where every fucking person you meet is "aspiring" to be something great. You'll realize sooner or later how stupid it looks from the outside. God help you if you don't.

garbage

This thread sure is giving me a lot of posts to say "This" to..
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    People who act elitist or "special" should visit Los Angeles for awhile. Maybe not even that. Hang out with some painters and go to galleries with them or something. Get involved in some scene where every fucking person you meet is "aspiring" to be something great. You'll realize sooner or later how stupid it looks from the outside. God help you if you don't.
    This

The light that we shine should do so naturally, man. We ought to be examples of greatness in the world. If we have to flaunt it, we're no better than peacocks.

Or Enneagram 3s.

garbage

I am inclined to motion that we sticky this thread.

I am also further inclined to motion that it be made into a EULA-like required reading before the "Post" button is enabled, on every post that is ever made.

If we can't do that, perhaps we can have a condensed version: "Functions aren't superpowers."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

naturally different is fine... I LOVE the variety of humanity and the differences and similarities that everyone has from one another... that's a part of what makes living an adventure! when people just act like themselves they are just as quirky and individual as some people put great effort in illustrating by behaving in a dreadful, artificial, elitist manner... and people are a lot more tolerable when they aren't giving you every indication that they think that they are better than, or more "special and unique" than you are. that's just humanity for you!

however... demanding special treatment and using your "functions" as tokens that you claim earn you those rights is pretty obnoxious in a way... you don't just deserve anything other than the respect over the fact that you are a human being and the treatment that that fact includes...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't care if you're a sensor or intuitive or whether you use Fe or Fi or any of that other bullshit... it doesn't make you any more special or unique than everyone else... we all use all of the fucking functions so don't feel like you are all that special just because you put it in your type on here.

I don't care if you feel like you're feeling a special type of lonliness that nobody has ever felt before and nobody really understands... it's part of the human condition, everyone feels that way from time to time... it doesn't make you special.

I don't care if you feel misunderstood... we all feel misunderstood because nobody else is exactly us- it's perfectly normal to feel misunderstood... if you NEVER felt misunderstood THAT would be what makes you special... it's not your functions, it's that you are an individual with a unique set of experiences that have added up to you, not that you use more Ni than anyone else or anything

Yes, you may be going through some tough times, they happen to most of us and almost every single one of us gets through them to the other side... this doesn't mean that you're anything special... it means that you're living life

The world and it's citizens don't owe you anything except for the ability to live... and even that's just out of basic niceness... if you really want to be recognized for something you have to do something worth being recognized for... pointing out that you're special because a set of letters that you assigned yourself put you in a minority of the population doesn't grant you that... you didn't do anything for the world so why are you expecting to get paid for it? I have a rather uncommon blood type... I don't go around claiming that I'm worthy of special treatment because of it! (and that's something definite and measurable!)

this doesn't mean that you're worthy of disrespect... it just means that you aren't owed any more respect than anybody else... you're human, get over it!

thanks!
    the forum dynamics has required a bump here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    If we have to flaunt it, we're no better than peacocks.
    And what's wrong with flashing some tail?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    And what's wrong with flashing some tail?
    tell THAT to the police!

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

tell THAT to the police!
    They, too, shall wish to pluck with such irresistible plumage!

Oh...wait, I'm just a peahen.