User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 39 of 39

  1. #31
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I have learned to disdain the stereotype of southerners as stupid, slack-jawed rednecks.
    Yeah, that's why I chose my name....its half irony, and half defiant expression of Southern pride, much like 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' was appropriated and turned against its original source.

  2. #32
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Personally, I think there is a lot to love about southerners.

  3. #33
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes, he's crazy.
    Clinically?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #34
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Clinically?
    Not that I know of.

  5. #35
    Senior Member FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Personally, I think there is a lot to love about southerners.
    Are you calling me fat???
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

  6. #36
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Personally, I think there is a lot to love about southerners.
    Aw, bless ya heart!

    As a Southerner, I get irritated with the stereotypes. Ignorance over the different Southern dialects (they talk that way because they don't know proper English). Hearing people trying to imitate it...it's like nails on chalkboards. Same effect that other people probably feel when an American tries to imitate a British accent.

  7. #37
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Aw, bless ya heart!

    As a Southerner, I get irritated with the stereotypes. Ignorance over the different Southern dialects (they talk that way because they don't know proper English). Hearing people trying to imitate it...it's like nails on chalkboards. Same effect that other people probably feel when an American tries to imitate a British accent.
    At least there is an accent.

    From what I can tell, Californian accent is a mixed bag. Some people say there is some accent, some say there isn't an accent (sounds very neutral.) Linguist are saying there is starting to be a California accent that can be distinct from the North and South. Above all else, it ain't as developed as the North or Southern accents.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It would be pointless for me to explain because you view it through this lens.
    Okay, retort with details for the rest of us, please
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  9. #39
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    Okay, retort with details for the rest of us, please
    Well, lets start with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Aw, bless ya heart!

    As a Southerner, I get irritated with the stereotypes. Ignorance over the different Southern dialects (they talk that way because they don't know proper English). Hearing people trying to imitate it...it's like nails on chalkboards. Same effect that other people probably feel when an American tries to imitate a British accent.
    I would assume these stereotypes on TV would get the same reaction. Let's use someone from Germany as an example. I'm sure there are many dialects and cultural specifics depending on where in Germany someone comes from. I'm sure other Germans know what these are even if they have never lived there or even visited. The only real exposure I have is what I have read or seen on TV and the one German person I know who has been in the US for 30 years and sounds like he's lived in Michigan all his life so he doesn't really count. I could say - all Germans are skinheads because that's all I have seen or all Germans are Nazi's because that's what I've seen. That's the same thing as someone outside of the US that only sees these shows and says - all southern Americans are toothless, mushmouth illiterates who make a living catching alligators, make moonshine, watch NASCAR, drive pick up trucks and eat roadkill for dinner because that's what I've seen. I know that's not true. You know that's not true and Germans probably know it's not true but a stereotype is a stereotype, even when it isn't true.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Similar Threads

  1. Two of my good friends: which one sounds like an ENFJ??
    By ChrisC99 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 12:22 AM
  2. What does gibberish English sound like?
    By Zergling in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
  3. Does this sound like depression?
    By Paladin in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 11:06 PM
  4. My brother should divorce his wife
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
  5. My brother
    By GZA in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO