User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Alpha Females?

  1. #11
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    I also hope all the "alpha" women out there understand their dominance ends as soon as they meet an alpha man. Its only natural.
    You are entitled to your hope. Naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #12
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    I hope you realised that was sarcasm.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  3. #13
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    I did. Even so, I'm not sure I understand your point. Alpha simply means dominant. You needn't extend the analogy too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  4. #14
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    But it doesn't just mean dominant. If it did, I would be fine with that. In every group there is a dominant person, to think otherwise is to be somewhat naive. But to call that person the alpha adds much more to that description. It means the person is confident, aggressive, powerful. It means they have some sort of right to control that extends beyond the sum of their traits. Truly, to be alpha is to be the alpha at a given time, and yet I hear people say things like "my boyfriends so alpha", "how do I become alpha?", "what is it to be alpha?". If all alpha means is the current dominant group member, why are these questions asked, and why are these statements made?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  5. #15
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    But it doesn't just mean dominant. If it did, I would be fine with that. In every group there is a dominant person, to think otherwise is to be somewhat naive. But to call that person the alpha adds much more to that description. It means the person is confident, aggressive, powerful. It means they have some sort of right to control that extends beyond the sum of their traits. Truly, to be alpha is to be the alpha at a given time, and yet I hear people say things like "my boyfriends so alpha", "how do I become alpha?", "what is it to be alpha?". If all alpha means is the current dominant group member, why are these questions asked, and why are these statements made?
    I don't think it says anything about rights...

    If a person is dominant in one situation, they are likely to be dominant in others. It's a personality trait, and as such has a degree of constancy over time.


    EDIT. Look at the thread/post just below mine (in iSpy). How many lame rate this or that threads are there? Humans are peculiarly obsessed with hierarchy. I agree that it's ridiculous, but that doesn't make it go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #16
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    I work with a number of women who would be considered to be in the category of "alpha" females. There are plenty of people with dominant personalities - male and female. Taking one I know as an example - her husband has stayed home raising the kids. It only makes sense because she makes 2M a year.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  7. #17
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I don't think it says anything about rights...

    If a person is dominant in one situation, they are likely to be dominant in others. It's a personality trait, and as such has a degree of consistency over time.
    Alpha isnt a personality trait. Alpha is a social position. One can say that someone is prone to being an alpha, but people dont say that. People say Jerry is Alpha, Jerry acted like an Alpha. Take Jerry, put him in a different context, and he will be the lowest of the low. But this is not recognised because Alpha is more than a word, its a cultural ideal. And like real ideals nobody really lives up to them, and yet Alpha is one ideal everyone seems to lay claim to.

    There are traits that lead to the domiant social position (the traits I gave earlier) but alphaness itself isn't a trait. The traits that lead to a domiant social position are not themselves alphaness as these traits need to be changed according to context (different contexts, different traits that lead to dominance), meaning the traits that make up alphaness have to change. If being Alpha is a personality trait it is the only one that is able to change its definition as its goes. But is is not, traits to do not morph at will, it is a category for traits to be in. Until this is noticed people will continue to get the wrong idea.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  8. #18
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Alpha isnt a personality trait. Alpha is a social position. One can say that someone is prone to being an alpha, but people dont say that. People say Jerry is Alpha, Jerry acted like an Alpha. Take Jerry, put him in a different context, and he will be the lowest of the low. But this is not recognised because Alpha is more than a word, its a cultural ideal. And like real ideals nobody really lives up to them, and yet Alpha is one ideal everyone seems to lay claim to.

    There are traits that lead to the domiant social position (the traits I gave earlier) but alphaness itself isn't a trait. The traits that lead to a domiant social position are not themselves alphaness as these traits need to be changed according to context (different contexts, different traits that lead to dominance), meaning the traits that make up alphaness have to change. If being Alpha is a personality trait it is the only one that is able to change its definition as its goes. But is is not, traits to do not morph at will, it is a category for traits to be in. Until this is noticed people will continue to get the wrong idea.
    Are you an INTP?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  9. #19
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Alpha isnt a personality trait. Alpha is a social position. One can say that someone is prone to being an alpha, but people dont say that. People say Jerry is Alpha, Jerry acted like an Alpha. Take Jerry, put him in a different context, and he will be the lowest of the low. But this is not recognised because Alpha is more than a word, its a cultural ideal. And like real ideals nobody really lives up to them, and yet Alpha is one ideal everyone seems to lay claim to.

    There are traits that lead to the domiant social position (the traits I gave earlier) but alphaness itself isn't a trait. The traits that lead to a domiant social position are not themselves alphaness as these traits need to be changed according to context (different contexts, different traits that lead to dominance), meaning the traits that make up alphaness have to change. If being Alpha is a personality trait it is the only one that is able to change its definition as its goes. But is is not, traits to do not morph at will, it is a category for traits to be in. Until this is noticed people will continue to get the wrong idea.
    Perhaps this is where the confusion lies. I don't think most people use it to mean "social position". When someone talks about an "alpha male" they are talking about a constellation of traits, not a person's social status at any point in time - just the potential to achieve that status.

    EDIT. Also, newsflash: people say dumb things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #20
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Are you an INTP?
    Yes. Just like my natural INTJ nemesis to notice.

    Am I being too precise for you?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Similar Threads

  1. The Alpha Male/Female Test...
    By Halla74 in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 01:10 AM
  2. Are alpha males and females necessary anymore?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
  3. For Females: Unanticipated Flattery
    By Totenkindly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO