User Tag List

Thread: Lent

Default Lent

For those of you who observe Lent, what are you giving up and why? How well do you think you're going to do? Why do you observe and what does it mean to you?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

I actually forgot it was lent....then again I'm working on giving up alot of sugar etc
    My friend is giving up swearing XD she's not doing well so far...

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    For those of you who observe Lent, what are you giving up and why? How well do you think you're going to do? Why do you observe and what does it mean to you?
    I'm not buying books, DVDs or CDs, those are the things I spend my money on pretty much, besides gym membership, my house money and I wear out clothes and dont my them very often those are my big expenses. It began as an attempt to not spend money for the duration but that really was proving impossible. I have done a lot better at not buying online than I have in the shops, although I've not been going to the shops as often.

Its a sacrifice but its also about providing me with free time in which to think, meditate and pray instead.

Also, during lent, I try to be much more mindful about what I'm eating and food, there are passages in the bible about those who eat and drink while others have nothing eat and drink judgement on themselves.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I need to focus on school right now, it's nice that it's Lent at the same time. I've been moving into a monastic kind of thing these 2 recent weeks, I guess I'll continue that.

Here's the diet I'll use:

broccoli
    carrots
    apples
    coffee
    almond milk
    cereal
    fruit juice
    some candy

I'll never give up coffee.

Peanut butter's always been one of the main things I eat but I think I'll give it up. Shit is runnin' me a pretty penny these days. They jacked the price up on my fave brand, Skippy chunky. Price has been mysteriously rising for a while now, starting to get paranoid. I'm giving up peanut butter for lent.

Alcohol, tobacco, frivolity.

Sometimes every single thought that crosses my mind makes me laugh & I think I'll give that up for lent.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not buying books
    Likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Likewise.
    I'm struggling with temptation, what about you? Made my mind up to stay out of town now

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm giving up typology and this place.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm struggling with temptation, what about you? Made my mind up to stay out of town now
    Thus far I'm doing alright, although I know about the struggles.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm giving up Typology Central.

Just kidding.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I no longer observe Lent, but when I did, I never liked the idea of giving up something. It seemed pointlessly punitive. Instead I chose a specific thing to do on a regular basis that would benefit others, like do extra chores at home, or write notes to distant relatives, or pick up trash around campus.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...