User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    There is no reason to clip the beaks off of chickens and stuff them in a cage that is barely big enough for them to blink an eye other than simple greed.
    True. That's what I would call mean.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    If people had to kill an animal every time they wanted meat, everyone would be a vegetarian, because western civilization is a population of lazy fatasses.
    Speak for yourself. Plus, it's not like growing vegetables is for lazy people.

& humans aren't at the top of the food chain. If you were out in the woods & heard a pack of wolves howling, you'd forget that idea pretty quickly.
    Unarmed we aren't, but we can build tools that put us above almost every other...except viruses and bacterias.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

humans kill animals because
    - we are biologically omnivorous
    - meat is high in calories
    - meat is high in protein
    - humans are territorial. would you want a raccoon scurrying around in your house?
    - meat is easy to digest. that is why carnivores have more lean bellies than herbivores who need more powerful stomachs. think about it. turning cow into human is easier than turning collared greens into human
    - in the past, some animals have been a great danger to humans. for example, between the years 1800 and 1900, approximately 300,000 people were killed in India by tigers (about 3,000 a year), so they declared hunting season on tigers. that said, restrictions have now been placed on hunting tigers in most of the world (fortunately) but the initial hunting of them came out of necessity.
    - meat tastes better

....it's really not a hard question to answer
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    but we can build tools that put us above almost every other...except viruses and bacterias.
    Speak for urself, u aint Thomas edison
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Speak for urself, u aint Thomas edison
    No, but I watch bear grylls and I think anything he can do I'm able to do as well. He is like the honey badger, he really doesn't give a shit. No pack of wolves can take him down.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    The wider the abyss of intelligence the more compassionate we should be.
    So we should be really concerned about swatting mosquitoes and eating carrots, right?
    -end of thread-

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    So we should be really concerned about swatting mosquitoes and eating carrots, right?
    *responds by being extremely compassionate to this post*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

"it's really not a hard question to answer"

yes, it is actually. the question was focused on the "still". it's most likely a society thing, not a biological one as you are trying to indicate.
    second, we are naturally omnivorous but before our sedentary lifestyle we used to eat a lot of nuts and only sporadically meat. we have actually never eaten as much meat as we are eating now with modern society.
    i seriously irks me when people give their opinion on stuff they obviously know nothing about. in the least, it shows lack of modesty. and you do that a lot. how about reading a book before you speak, next time?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    humans kill animals because
    - we are biologically omnivorous
    - meat is high in calories
    - meat is high in protein
    - humans are territorial. would you want a raccoon scurrying around in your house?
    - meat is easy to digest. that is why carnivores have more lean bellies than herbivores who need more powerful stomachs. think about it. turning cow into human is easier than turning collared greens into human
    - in the past, some animals have been a great danger to humans. for example, between the years 1800 and 1900, approximately 300,000 people were killed in India by tigers (about 3,000 a year), so they declared hunting season on tigers. that said, restrictions have now been placed on hunting tigers in most of the world (fortunately) but the initial hunting of them came out of necessity.
    - meat tastes better

....it's really not a hard question to answer

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    "it's really not a hard question to answer"

yes, it is actually. the question was focused on the "still". it's most likely a society thing, not a biological one as you are trying to indicate.
    second, we are naturally omnivorous but before our sedentary lifestyle we used to eat a lot of nuts and only sporadically meat. we have actually never eaten as much meat as we are eating now with modern society.
    i seriously irks me when people give their opinion on stuff they obviously know nothing about. in the least, it shows lack of modesty. and you do that a lot. how about reading a book before you speak, next time?
    But the question was why we still kill animals at all, not why we kill so many. (It also wasn't concerned with factory farms vs. humanely treated animals, despite the tangents there). The general consensus is that eating meat occasionally is healthy - it's just unhealthy if you eat too much of it.

I agree that the average meat consumption could be reduced substantially with many benefits both globally and individually. Of course, personal choices always play a large role. It gets sticky when some part of the population wants to force the entire population to subscribe to a morality system not everyone agrees with.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I find the argument against mass-produced meats and vegetables to be a completely separate one from whether we should eat meat or not.

The more I research and the more I learn and find, the more I think it worth it to support local farms, farmers markets, plant a small victory garden of my own, and to stop buying so much from bigger grocery stores. I don't really get mad at people that shop at huge grocery stores, the way I do, because it is an entirely different beast that primes the population for shopping at those places--and the morality of animals has nothing to do with that set up, the massive-herds of meat and egg production are sort of feeding off of that machine. It's a leech in the swamp.

But I wouldn't give up meat even if I had the time, resources, and energy to support local farming or farm myself even (which I plan to try my hand at in the not-too-distant future.) Our bodies were made to consume it, and I see no difference between consuming nature that moves with eye-lids and feet and nature that moves with vines and sunlight.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It is not a fact that consciousness=immoral to kill. It's an opinion. If you don't think it's immoral, there's no reason to abstain.
    sure I can say the same for killing humans as well.