MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

"If meat is murder, are eggs rape?" - P. J. O'Rourke
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    why do any animals kill other animals? we're omnivores, it's in our nature to eat meat.
    This.

As humans we have the ability of conscious choice but that doesn't change the fact that we are omnivores and evolved that way for a reason.

What is that reason?

I'm glad you asked! You see, as humans we have over many years clawed our way to the top of the food chain, it wasn't always this way, back before we improved our weapon making skills and were hunter gatherers life was tough, how tough?

Basically anything they could get their hands on that was food they HAD to eat, yes including snails, slugs and the like, you couldn't be fussed about killing and eating small marsupials etc because if you didn't, you would die.

Of course we evolved to be omnivores even well before this point but you can see from what I've told you, being an omnivore is key to how humans came out on top which I'll now explain further... (mere words can't describe how hard it must of been before agriculture)

Humans improved their weapon making skills to include atlatls and darts this skyrocketed us to the top of the food chain, why? Because now we could take down and eat larger animals

Lets fast forward now to modern society, where the common human has FORGOTTEN.

What have they forgotten? They have forgotten how brutal nature is, suffering and pain happens in the wild all the time, it truly is survival of the fittest

Yet when we have succeeded in getting to the top of the food chain some humans decide to scoff at the idea of eating what is presented to them, to deny their omnivorous instincts and choose to eat half of their diet for arbitrary reasons

Every single argument for vegan/vegetarianism is extremely flawed fundamentally so, except for one:

Lifestyle.

LIFESTYLE is literally the only acceptable argument for vegetarians/vegans and it the only answer given where I'll simply shrug and say "to each their own"

Try to take the moral high ground or be a martyr and you're in for a debate and you best be prepared because if you try to act morally superior on this issue you're going to receive a backlash

So present your reasoning for not eating meat, I'll wait...

Arguments I won't answer due to them being too irrational:

"Animals are treated badly blah blah blah if you eat meat you condone this blah blah"

Eating meat is NOT... I repeat NOT a vote for inhumane treating of animals, while yes, a lot of animals are mistreated quite a lot of them are treated as humane as possible too however, at the end of the day they ARE getting killed and again, this is the brutality of nature, are you going to cry next time you step on an ant?

"You can get everything you need without eating meat"

No.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Even though i used to take the children to the farm and feed the cute animals grass pellets and even though i've watched programmes showing the slaughter process, meat just tastes damn fine.

Don't kill the ducks though, that's wrong I have issues.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

OP, are you veg*n?

I can't eat meat because the gross factor is too high, but I'm only anti-meat when it comes to myself.

I think the only solid argument against it from a nutritional standpoint is that processed meats tend to be very high in saturated fat and sodium + the negligent/unsanitary/dubious practices used on factory farmed meat ends up contaminating it. If you're into animal rights, the environment itself is also terrible.

But conventional farming is very good for the environment, I believe. The cruelty factor typically does not apply there either; the animals are allowed to graze, they are kept in sanitary conditions, they are killed humanely, and the products are more natural. Mass farming things like corn and soybeans seems to be far more damaging.

Dairy and unfermented soy consumption in general makes much less sense to me. Those are things we as humans definitely don't need.

MBTI
    intp

What benefit would really come from not eating animals? It might stop certain abuses (specifically those caused by poor care and cruel slaughter methods), but animals would still have be killed for materials and public safety, used for work, bred for pets, harmed by pollution, hit by cars and sucked into jet engines, have their habitats destroyed for farms and cities, and be used in research by the millions. On top of that, billions of animals that were previously used for food now have to go somewhere, and I seriously doubt anyone will open a massive cattle or chicken reserve. Most of these animals will die without their symbiotic relationship to humans, and countless more will be hurt by giant tankers (both in construction and transportation) taking supplements and meat substitutes all over the place.

Essentially, it is impossible for people to live without harming other creatures. I am not convinced that it would be a net gain for humans to stop eating them, even without considering the tastiness factor. It might be more appropriate instead to look into more humane farming and slaughtering methods.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I would not say that a person hunting to feed his family would be killing for a "garbage reason"

But you might

Do you feel this way?
    No I don't feel this way, and that is not the point I was trying to convey. Most people in western society and first world countries hunt for sport.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    There's no reason to eat ice cream other than because it tastes good.
    Very true indeed, the ice creams had consciousness as well.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post

Eating meat is NOT... I repeat NOT a vote for inhumane treating of animals, while yes, a lot of animals are mistreated quite a lot of them are treated as humane as possible too however, at the end of the day they ARE getting killed and again, this is the brutality of nature, are you going to cry next time you step on an ant?

"You can get everything you need without eating meat"

No.
    In a way eating meat causes the inhumane treatment of animals because of mass production. So many people eat meat therefore as a company we must compete with our competitors and offer meat that are fatter juicier and at a lower price. Pumping a chicken with steroids in a cage is the best way to beat the competition.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    In a way eating meat causes the inhumane treatment of animals because of mass production. So many people eat meat therefore as a company we must compete with our competitors and offer meat that are fatter juicier and at a lower price. Pumping a chicken with steroids in a cage is the best way to beat the competition.
    THIS. The way we (selfishly, in my opinion) demand so MUCH meat for the sake of convenience in our country, demand it cheaply and don't want to know any of the particulars of how the animals are treated IS contributing to humane treatment. It's not the brutality of nature to breed and raise chickens to produce so much muscle and body mass that they cannot support their own body weight, breaking their legs. It's not the brutality of nature to keep a cow constantly producing milk, and pumping her full of hormones and antibiotics so that she will continue to produce, even when her udders get infected. Nature is brutal, but we don't have to be. We can choose how we act. We are civilized. We have the power to reason, and to make compassionate decisions.

I understand not wanting to give up meat altogether. I don't understand people being so unwilling to admit that we treat animals horribly in the factory farming practices that provide us with burgers anytime we feel like we could use a snack. I don't understand why people are so unwilling to at least consider reducing their meat consumption. We don't HAVE to have meat at every meal. The dietary practices we've adopted as the American standard since the economic good times post WWII, including the idea meat + milk = health have not made us healthier, and fast food certainly hasn't. No one needs meat at every single meal. Not to mention that the meat that is factory farmed is so shot up with hormones that it makes any of the nutrients you'd get from it a wash in terms of overall health. The fact that people are hitting puberty earlier and earlier is partly due to the exposure to these hormones through diet.
    Something Witty