User Tag List

First 1523242526 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    This thread reminds me of the signs plastered on the backsides of buses in Boston sometimes:

..I'm marinating chicken breast right now. When it is finished, I will cuddle my cat on the couch, and enjoy consuming dead bird.

Also, everytime I see ''DOLPHIN FRIENDLY'' on tuna can labels, I can't help but wonder how dolphin might taste.

I guess I'm a savage, at heart.
    Pretty stupid argument though considering that there are parts of the world where people eat cats and dogs as well. Also that picture just screams "eat both" to me.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Why do humans kill animals?

Let's say for personal reasons.

My uncle was killing chickens in my garage a long time ago, and he did so by cutting their throat and hanging them upsidedown to let the blood drain. While the chicken was upside down I saw it crap itself.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Culture, genetics, it's a status symbol in poorer countries.. on a positive note there's a movement in the scientific community to give dolphins & whales human rights because their neurological structure and social dynamics are considered by some to be as complex as that of humans

MBTI
    STP

My family eats rabbit. I dont particularly like it, and since they moved to the mainland they have only made it once or twice. Dont think I have ever ate a baby chicken, definately not cat.
    Im out, its been fun

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    My family eats rabbit. I dont particularly like it, and since they moved to the mainland they have only made it once or twice. Dont think I have ever ate a baby chicken, definately not cat.
    I ate rabbit before it taste kinda gross though very hard. But I suppose because it's such a wild animal it has strong muscles.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I was born and raised in the South, still live here, prefer to live here, and am not "shitting on Southern culture." I questioned some of those practices even as a child. You can like hunting or not, but the type of response you've given above is not doing your cause any favors. It's reinforcing stereotypes that others have of Southerners. There's a lot to love about Southern culture, but there's also a lot that could be re-examined in light of, well, more enlightened times. If you'd like to argue for hunting, please do so. There's plenty of room for dissenting voices and a real discussion.
    I don't understand what you mean by "more enlightened times." You mentioned there's a lot that could be re-examined. Specifically, what are you thinking?

My parents own a ranch in the Texas hill country and some of the men in my family hunt wild pigs and deer. The area of Texas where our ranch is located is over-populated with them. While we were there the last time we could hear a bunch of wild hogs grunting and rooting around in the woods. There were so many of them all around us. My brother-in-law had his 45 pistol with him, just to be safe. The deal is that the animals were really skinny this past year because of the drought, so hunting wasn't all that great. (I love the meat.)

I have some pictures I'll throw in. Last fall we setup a trail camera. The camera has a night mode with an infrared flash, so as to not scare the animals when it snaps a picture, thats why they look grey:

Here's a daytime shot:

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot about the wild turkeys!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It was about to bite my face off; of course I'm going to shove the six inch blade through its head.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Back, in the before time, I used to feel for the animals. If fact, I cried. You catch the big fish. It makes grunting noises and sprays blood all over the boat, and I cried because the grunting noise sounds like a "person". So my punishment was to sit on the ice chest to hold down the lid until the fish stopped jumping around inside...each bump nearly knocking me off.

Yet through numerous encounters like this one, I became callous. I went through a change. I just do it.

And working in a biological field, I kill MILLIONS of animals. Millions upon millions.

The catfish farm where I worked killed 100,000 to 150,000 fish per DAY for food. Why? Food. Protein is good for you. It is why we left the forest and became smart enough to disdain food. We became smart by using tools to hunt and process food. Language developed through hunting coordination.

Yet, I don't care if YOU believe that. You have your own beliefs. Don't subject me to your beliefs.

The catfish farm paid me around $1000 per week. Catfish makes $800 to $2000 profit per acre. Cattle makes less money. Rice makes even less. The GOAL is money per acre. That is WHY.

Do you have a job for all 10,000 people working in the catfish industry alone? Do you have a job for me that does not involve animal death?

At my last job I was caretaker of a public garden and this included regular application of pesticides which kill animals like spider mites, thrips, aphids and mealy bugs. I must have killed millions upon millions of animals at that job as well. Ooooh, pretty flowers! Nice vegetables! I avoid animal murder! Are you sure?

At my current job, determination is based on VALUE. Of every spawn, the salable percentage can vary from 90% to 5%. So those fish are either discarded or sold as FOOD for other animals.

Those who survive, I may love, cherish or care for. Some may become breeding pairs that I keep. I will kill anything that attacks them or endangers them, for they could have many predators. Yesterday there were three snakes mating on the pond bank, and I killed all three to protect MY fish.

I mostly eat noodles and whey proteins. But I will eat anything, especially sushi. So yes, I'll sell a fish for someone to keep as a pet so that I can afford to eat a fish for dinner.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Who would have thought Lark would be a writer for the New York Times.