User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Then people who lack sapience are also less than humans and can be eaten, no?
    Take it as you will. *shrugs*

I was born and raised in the South, still live here, prefer to live here, and am not "shitting on Southern culture." I questioned some of those practices even as a child. You can like hunting or not, but the type of response you've given above is not doing your cause any favors. It's reinforcing stereotypes that others have of Southerners. There's a lot to love about Southern culture, but there's also a lot that could be re-examined in light of, well, more enlightened times. If you'd like to argue for hunting, please do so. There's plenty of room for dissenting voices and a real discussion.
    In my opinion my response was fairly restrained. And to be perfectly honest I don't need it to do my side any favors.

Hunting and Football, (esp. college football) are so ingrained in the culture that trying to do away with their regional importance would be like trying to tell the British to not have such a dry humor, or telling Russians to stop drinking Vodka. It's one of the things that make our culture unique. Trying to change that, is basically like saying Southerners would be better off not being Southern.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that there are other forms of male bonding that should be explored in our culture, but I'll never agree that we should do away with treasured traditions just to appease your more delicate sensibilities.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    The irony is, without meat (concentrated source of energy) we could never have grown brains with the capacity to ask this question.
    Its also possible that increased availability of meats for young children is partially responsible for higher rates of intelligence among recent generations compared to their mostly vegetarian (not by choice) ancestors.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think if you could somehow make everyone know exactly how meat is processed, most people would still eat meat. This is of course purely speculative and not testable, but that's my suspicion.
    Same here.

And now I'm off to eat some factory-farmed meat!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then people who lack sapience are also less than humans and can be eaten, no?
    That would have highly adverse consequences for human society, destroying the bonds between humans that make society possible. Killing and eating animals, not so much.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

Does it all just boil down to personal irresponsibility in the end, and not the boogy man meat industry? Consumers hold a surprising amount of power to shape their own destinies. Unfortunately there's little sense of de facto community where I live aside from smaller institutions and religious groups, which all tend not to focus on dietary responsibility. Without that sense of community, guided by similar ideals, making serious moves against corporate bodies is as easy as a school of fish swimming in all directions to reach the same end. People like to forget that consumers just like them sit on the other side of the wall between producer and patron, and that they make decisions to accommodate us through self interest.
    Well said, It's basically up to us in the end. There is way too much fast food businesses making profit these days . Many people in the west suffer from eating disorders and diseases as a result. I think we need to take baby steps and start eating healthier choices. Too much meat especially red meat is proven to be hard on the digestive system and liver.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    what is the purpose of killing animals? Why do millions of animals die each year for the sake of human consumption? Why have people become so obessed with fast food? What makes an animals less of a being than humans? They can smell,touch, think, dream they can understand language.
    It's hardwired in our DNA to slay smaller creatures to prolong our own survival. Sure, we probably don't need to anymore, but it's just part of nature's food cycle. If it wasn't humans doing so, it'd be other animals in the wild during the same thing in the name of that same survival instinct. The fact that we don't need to nowadays is purely a luxury afforded to us to how we've advanced both technologically and culturally. Also, overpopulation is a big factor in lots of species of animals due to humanities artificial interference with the ecosystem.

I mean, let's be rational here. It's within most of our interests to act within our own self-interests; If you were isolated from modern society and starving, chances are you'd choose between your life in comparison to a smaller animals life if your pending survival was contingent upon whether or not you decided to harvest upon its resources. Do you believe any other animal in the wild would exercise the same restraint if it was desperate and saw you as an opportunity for a meal? We're animals, complex ones, but still bound to the laws of nature.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm willing to entertain the idea that there are other forms of male bonding that should be explored in our culture, but I'll never agree that we should do away with treasured traditions just to appease your more delicate sensibilities.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    ENTP

Furthermore, the stigmatization of the act only exists within a societal context that condemns it. Everything related to animal rights is learned ideals; They don't exist separate from society. If I was the last person on earth and I decided to brutally slaughter animals just for the sake of doing so, there'd be no divine authority to regulate or cast any sort of objective judgement on that. It would just happen and the world would continue spinning on its axis, and the animals in question would continue to breed and replenish their numbers. The moral ramifications don't exist outside of us.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Furthermore, the stigmatization of the act only exists within a societal context that condemns it. Everything related to animal rights is learned ideals; They don't exist separate from society. If I was the last person on earth and I decided to brutally slaughter animals just for the sake of doing so, there'd be no divine authority to regulate or cast any sort of objective judgement on that. It would just happen and the world would continue spinning on its axis, and the animals in question would continue to breed and replenish their numbers. The moral ramifications don't exist outside of us.
    This is all based on feelings anyway. And it's not right to enforce one's feelings on others who don't share them. So-called "animal rights" is just a means of rationalizing certain sentiments. Example: I don't know what my sister thinks of animal rights, but she always hated fishing because she felt sorry for the fish that had hooks in their mouths. If she is politically minded then she might want to pass laws supporting "fish rights" simply because she feels bad for them.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    This is all based on feelings anyway. And it's not right to enforce one's feelings on others who don't share them. So-called "animal rights" is just a means of rationalizing certain sentiments. Example: I don't know what my sister thinks of animal rights, but she always hated fishing because she felt sorry for the fish that had hooks in their mouths. If she is politically minded then she might want to pass laws supporting "fish rights" simply because she feels bad for them.
    Right. I'm not saying the feeling aspect should be entirely dismissed, It has its merit. I'm just saying the root source of the sentiment is pity. We believe animals should have right because we pity their inferiority in relation to ourselves, and thus see their hunting and harvesting as an exploitation of that inferiority. It's just a complex emotional appeal. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that, I guess.