User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Also living beings with rights? What are? Printed steaks? I mean, they're made of living cells, but I've never heard anyone argue for the rights of single-celled organisms.
    People need causes. The more stupid eccentric the better, as it gives them the chance to feel more special. Just wait until this technology becomes more tangible.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'd like to know how many of the people responding have ever read anything about factory farming. It's fucking horrible, & I'm not at all a preachy person in my day-to-day but I question the decency of anyone who isn't repulsed & horrified by it.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I'd like to know how many of the people responding have ever read anything about factory farming. It's fucking horrible, & I'm not at all a preachy person in my day-to-day but I question the decency of anyone who isn't repulsed & horrified by it.
    I've seen rivers of chicks run down metal slides into grinders.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    There probably is a lot of that going on.

In fact, some people would be grossed out in what they do to make hot-dogs and sausages (no pun intended.... please) and quite a bit of the meat made that they take for granted.

I'm in no way, shape, or form desynthesized as there are things I refuse to eat (certain ingredients used to make a product... how it was made) and things I don't mind eating (even though I know how it is made.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, chickens are treated unbelievably cruelly. Just pictures of overcrowding were enough to make me sick to my stomach back when I was learning about it.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

I'm not opposed to the actual killing of animals, not only are the conditions cruel, they make for disgustingly unhelthy food, I am mostly vegetarian, and I wont use my money to fund the meat industry. So in essence when I leave home, I'll be fully veg (except I guess sometimes with my BF)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump

You don't make friends with salad

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm glad to see the favored typoc pastime of shitting on Southern culture is still in vogue...

Get bent.
    Klassy, as usual.

I was born and raised in the South, still live here, prefer to live here, and am not "shitting on Southern culture." I questioned some of those practices even as a child. You can like hunting or not, but the type of response you've given above is not doing your cause any favors. It's reinforcing stereotypes that others have of Southerners. There's a lot to love about Southern culture, but there's also a lot that could be re-examined in light of, well, more enlightened times. If you'd like to argue for hunting, please do so. There's plenty of room for dissenting voices and a real discussion.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Sapience
    Then people who lack sapience are also less than humans and can be eaten, no?

Ginkgo

I think that the U.S.'s eating related health disorder epidemic is largely due to how much food we have had at our disposal over the past 30-40 years, give or take a few pockets of desperation. We suffer from dietary dysfunctions of every form because our genetics tend to predispose us to retain fat for survival, while we are psychologically rewarded for eating high-sugar, caloric, high-fat foods regardless of whether they nourish our overall well-being in order to survive in less civilized environments. Sensationalism and consumerism do nothing to help the lot.

Overall, it's simply more rewarding to fuel the meat industry for reasons on every front, regardless of whether one feels killing animals is unethical. It's an incredibly consistent and powerful positive reinforcement system that is so complex, it perpetuates itself. Irresponsibility comes hand in hand with satisfaction here, while long term consequences seem to fade in the mist of gratification.

One easily appeals to the idea of the noble savage because structured society seems imposing and even antagonistic for effecting us so deeply that our survival mechanisms work against us, and that we end life in excess.

However, one must take responsibility and subordinate instinct with wiser judgment by understanding what we eat and how it effects us. Heart disease was the leading cause of death for the U.S. in '09 and not but a few months ago a friend's liver failed by mixing acetaminophen with alcohol. The availability of information does little to excuse one from eating healthily.

Does it all just boil down to personal irresponsibility in the end, and not the boogy man meat industry? Consumers hold a surprising amount of power to shape their own destinies. Unfortunately there's little sense of de facto community where I live aside from smaller institutions and religious groups, which all tend not to focus on dietary responsibility. Without that sense of community, guided by similar ideals, making serious moves against corporate bodies is as easy as a school of fish swimming in all directions to reach the same end. People like to forget that consumers just like them sit on the other side of the wall between producer and patron, and that they make decisions to accommodate us through self interest.