First 123412 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Because we want to. Animals are tasty, and we want to consume flesh; put two and two together and the result is simple. killing animals for sport is also fun; to track, kill, and ultimately dominate something, it's truly a powerful feeling.

Also, being the kind person that I am, I think that there should be strict rules as to how farmers treat their livestock; i.e. no harming the animals, don't place the animals in small cages for extended periods of time, treat the animals well, etc. And when the animal has to die, kill it in such a way where it won't know that it's going to die, and where death will be instant.

And of course, I'm also in favor of harvesting insects and similar creatures as a substitute for fram animals; insects can be bred at a mush faster rate and the meat from their bodies could make for a sufficient meat replacement that's high in protein. Also, there's no moral worry over killing them since most insects don't feel pain.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    what is the purpose of killing animals? Why do millions of animals die each year for the sake of human consumption? Why have people become so obessed with fast food? What makes an animals less of a being than humans? They can smell,touch, think, dream they can understand language.
    Animals are a major source of energy

Horses, for example, can move far more materials than a mere human can

A bovine specimen can sustain an entire family for weeks with the flesh on its bones

Finally, animals are a major competitor. Many carnivorous animals (wolves being the prominent example in North America) must be eliminated in order for human infrastructure to function. The FEAR of traversing outside small human settlements is all but eliminated once the apex predator is just another human. Fewer resources are expended to guard herds. Livestock numbers can increase unhindered by other mammalian carnivores.

Humans lack the autotrophic organelles that you would find in other eukaryotes like algae or the giant oak tree. Without the capacity to produce energy from sunlight or hydrogen sulfide, we are forced to consume other living organisms in order to function.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Humans lack the autotrophic organelles that you would find in other eukaryotes like algae or the giant oak tree. Without the capacity to produce energy from sunlight or hydrogen sulfide, we are forced to consume other living organisms in order to function.
    Yes, life feeds on life. That is the way of nature.

Most animal food products come from animals grown for that purpose, though, so a sudden upswing in vegetarianism would have much greater impact on the food industry than on wild animal populations.

Why do we keep killing animals for food? Part of the answer may be that for the most part, "we" don't. Very few meat eaters kill what they eat. We delegate the dirty work to industrial livestock operations who deliver the products to us in sanitized, tidy styrofoam trays. Killing our own meat, as hunters do, is not guaranteed to turn everyone vegetarian, but would give us a much needed appreciation of what we are eating and what it takes to bring it to the table. Same with dairy and crop farming, though in a different way.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Because we want to. Animals are tasty, and we want to consume flesh; put two and two together and the result is simple. killing animals for sport is also fun; to track, kill, and ultimately dominate something, it's truly a powerful feeling.
    So it feels good for someone to dominate another creature not for the sake of consumption or survival but because it's gives them the feeling of dominance and power over another creature. Sounds like a coward to me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

As far as I know, "nutrition" is no longer a valid argument as soy contains a lot of high-quality proteins and the rest can easily be found in other foods.
    Also, raising animals for their meat is a huge waste of resources. Malnutrition in poor countries would be solved much faster if we used the lands to grow rice, soy, etc.

But when did humanity ever give up some of its comfort for a greater cause? Remember, we're currently destroying our planet through pollution and the development of nuclear weapons (which we'll eventually use). We're little more than animals ourselves... animals who've been given too much power and now abuse it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    So it feels good for someone to dominate another creature not for the sake of consumption or survival but because it's gives them the feeling of dominance and power over another creature. Sounds like a coward to me.
    When did dominance become synonymous with cowardice? Sounds like deliberate distortion of words by a dishonest person to me.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    As far as I know, "nutrition" is no longer a valid argument as soy contains a lot of high-quality proteins and the rest can easily be found in other foods.
    Also, raising animals for their meat is a huge waste of resources. Malnutrition in poor countries would be solved much faster if we used the lands to grow rice, soy, etc.

But when did humanity ever give up some of its comfort for a greater cause? Remember, we're currently destroying our planet through pollution and the development of nuclear weapons (which we'll eventually use). We're little more than animals ourselves... animals who've been given too much power and now abuse it.
    You can get the same nutrition from plants, but it takes a LOT more effort and mental energy, and often more expense. Meat is also more convenient/accessible at restaurants. Soy is also not something to overindulge in, so it shouldn't be a staple of your diet (like meat! for different reasons, of course). So no, it's not a prohibiting factor, but nutrition can still be a valid reason people choose to eat meat.

You're also assuming everyone agrees in your so-called "greater cause". If you don't think killing animals humanely is morally wrong, there is no "greater cause" for which we should be sacrificing our happiness.

Alternatively, I could go around looking down at people for driving blue cars because they're just so selfish for not thinking about people who might dislike seeing the colour blue. You know, if we're in the business of making up morals to apply to other people's actions.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    When did dominance become synonymous with cowardice? Sounds like deliberate distortion of words by a dishonest person to me.
    Killing something that with a big rifle that can hardly defend themselves in order to feel powerful? sounds like cowardice to me.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    1) they're tasty
    2) they're nutritious
    3) why not? cows and chickens are pretty stupid. Pigs are supposed to be smart though.....but bacon is tasty. cannibalism is generally a bad idea for disease and cultural reasons, so animals are a better option for food.
    Because in our western society our resources are sufficient enough. There are no reasons to eat meat and kill animals other than the reason that they "taste good".

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I think it's also important to point out that in a strange way these animals live for human consumption. Their existence is an extension of our own. I honestly like the idea of vegetarianism, but as @Metamorphosis pointed out, we still kill people. If activism is needed, maybe you should set some priorities.
    Not all animals are bread from humans though plenty live out freely in the wild yet people still go and hunt and kill them for garbage reasons.