User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Others hunt for sport, and then publish pictures in the local paper of their 6 year-old posing with their first buck, like killing something is a badge of honor. In Southern culture, the macho thing is still so prevalent that hunting and football are two of the only ways that boys have to bond with their dads. I'd like to see that change. We don't need to kill something in order to get someone else's approval. That's an antiquated idea.
    I'm glad to see the favored typoc pastime of shitting on Southern culture is still in vogue...

Get bent.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Cuz yummy
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think it's fair to say that they are tasty, we can do it, and we've been used to doing it for a very long time. That's all it really takes for people to keep doing it.

I find it highly unlikely you will ever persuade the masses to stop eating meat, but there is promise for the technology of just making meat out of cells. If we gain the ability to do that, we can address issues of animal cruelty and ecology simultaneously without having to make people stop eating meat. It's the only hope I see for vegetarians with an ethical mission.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Presented that way, sure, but you'd be amazed what lower prices and a little bit of quality advertising can do.
    The McTumor.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    but there is promise for the technology of just making meat out of cells. If we gain the ability to do that, we can address issues of animal cruelty and ecology simultaneously without having to make people stop eating meat. It's the only hope I see for vegetarians with an ethical mission.
    inb4 an inconvenient person (likely religious) states that these are also living beings with rights. Tip: don't waste your time arguing with this guy.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find it highly unlikely you will ever persuade the masses to stop eating meat, but there is promise for the technology of just making meat out of cells. If we gain the ability to do that, we can address issues of animal cruelty and ecology simultaneously without having to make people stop eating meat. It's the only hope I see for vegetarians with an ethical mission.
    It makes sense that food production could go this direction at least to some extent. People are not even typically conscious of how meat is processed because they don't have to see it in many cases except for hunting and ranching. Although many people are not conscious of experiences outside of self, so it might not make a difference if they did know. Awareness of other life forms is one type of information, and the ability to understand it is one form of intelligence that not every one possesses. Scientists who work extensively with certain species develop this ability and can communicate with a high degree of nuance and from the context of the animals thought processing and not human projections. Not everyone can comprehend theoretical physics and not everyone can comprehend animal cognition.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    inb4 an inconvenient person (likely religious) states that these are also living beings with rights. Tip: don't waste your time arguing with this guy.
    Also living beings with rights? What are? Printed steaks? I mean, they're made of living cells, but I've never heard anyone argue for the rights of single-celled organisms.

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It makes sense that food production could go this direction at least to some extent. People are not even typically conscious of how meat is processed because they don't have to see it in many cases except for hunting and ranching. Although many people are not conscious of experiences outside of self, so it might not make a difference if they did know. Awareness of other life forms is one type of information, and the ability to understand it is one form of intelligence that not every one possesses. Scientists who work extensively with certain species develop this ability and can communicate with a high degree of nuance and from the context of the animals thought processing and not human projections. Not everyone can comprehend theoretical physics and not everyone can comprehend animal cognition.
    I think if you could somehow make everyone know exactly how meat is processed, most people would still eat meat. This is of course purely speculative and not testable, but that's my suspicion.

On another note, I'm surprised to find some people are disturbed by the idea of this cell produced meat. To me, it seems much less disturbing than how we currently process it, even in terms of sanitation. I think it comes back to what people are used to.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    There would be extinction of entire species. Cows cannot survive in the wild after thousands of years of human care. PETA or ELF would have to mass-euthanize millions of animals, or else they would simply roam the countryside or even city streets causing major issues until they finally perished. The wolf population would abound, but when they finally run out of this easy food source massive wolf starvation will ensue.
    This is the kind of thing I was wondering about. Livestock is a HUGE industry.

FTR, I'm not here to advocate vegetarianism or any other kind of -ism.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Glycerine

Even things one might assume to be vegan/vegetarian contain animal byproducts... it's scary... like some prepackaged/real ramen contains bone marrow, kimchi contains brine shrimp, etc....

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

what is the purpose of killing animals?
    To survive.

Killing is one of the things we have evolved to do.

Why do millions of animals die each year for the sake of human consumption?
    First the continuation of the species, and secondly there is a buck to be made.

Why have people become so obessed with fast food?
    Easy, convenient, cheap and can be relatively tasty for that price point.

What makes an animals less of a being than humans?
    Sapience

They can smell,touch, think, dream they can understand language.
    A conversation with a pig would be a decidedly one sided affair, methinks.