First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Ever read The Road? Or any historical account of a civilization under siege?
    There are worse things than starving.
    Never read it. But civilization is under siege, it's just a very gradual one.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned

It has been suggested.

Edit. I don't have to agree with something to understand why it happens. You should learn a little detachment. It would serve you well.
    You should learn not to judge so easy before you speak.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I've known a few hunters in my time. And the general take on this issue is that if civilization falls, the animal lovers are going to be looking to them for their very survival. These are more-or-less survivalists who are prepared for what they consider to be the inevitable.

Some people may scoff at that, but you never know. Nuclear war was the first major threat, and now, in my view, it's general economic collapse and anarchy. But the nuke threat has never really gone away.
    I've known a few hunters in my time, too. Some hunt because they are on limited incomes, and they live off the deer, etc, they kill all year long. I can understand and respect that. Others hunt for sport, and then publish pictures in the local paper of their 6 year-old posing with their first buck, like killing something is a badge of honor. In Southern culture, the macho thing is still so prevalent that hunting and football are two of the only ways that boys have to bond with their dads. I'd like to see that change. We don't need to kill something in order to get someone else's approval. That's an antiquated idea.

If we ended up in a doomsday scenario, I would do what needed to be done. I'm a good shot, and I would kill a deer before I'd starve to death. I'd learn how to clean and cook it. I'd hate it, but I'd do it. I think few people are so weak or foolish that they wouldn't do what needed to be done to survive. But survival scenarios are quite different from our business-as-usual cruelty to animals through factory farming.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    You should learn not to judge so easy before you speak.
    Judging comes more easily to me than constructing a meaningful sentence does to you.
    I have no problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned

Judging comes more easily to me than constructing a meaningful sentence does to you.
    I have no problem with that.
    And your bias ignorance shows.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

And your bias ignorance shows.
    I bet you don't even understand how funny that is. I pity you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    On a related note, animals won't be needed for meat and dairy production long before the vegetarian population has a chance at being a majority. It will be an interesting conflict, as many non-meat eaters look forward to this, and many meat-eaters the opposite.
    Why would a non meat-eater look forward to eating meat?

I'm a meat-eater. I tried giving it up and my health suffered. I certainly look forward to the large-scale artificial production of meat products.

I don't think eating animals is a good thing to do, neither can I justify any belief in it being morally wrong. However, disregarding animal welfare is certainly immoral. I think if we are going to use animals for meat, we have a duty to treat them with respect and dignity while they are alive.

EDIT. I hate it when people delete their posts.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I've known a few hunters in my time, too. Some hunt because they are on limited incomes, and they live off the deer, etc, they kill all year long. I can understand and respect that. Others hunt for sport, and then publish pictures in the local paper of their 6 year-old posing with their first buck, like killing something is a badge of honor. In Southern culture, the macho thing is still so prevalent that hunting and football are two of the only ways that boys have to bond with their dads. I'd like to see that change. We don't need to kill something in order to get someone else's approval. That's an antiquated idea.

If we ended up in a doomsday scenario, I would do what needed to be done. I'm a good shot, and I would kill a deer before I'd starve to death. I'd learn how to clean and cook it. I'd hate it, but I'd do it. I think few people are so weak or foolish that they wouldn't do what needed to be done to survive. But survival scenarios are quite different from our business-as-usual cruelty to animals through factory farming.
    There's more to it than just killing, cleaning, and cooking an animal, even assuming you had a gun. The wilderness is an entirely different way of life with it's own set of rules. The people who understand those rules are very religious about maintaining a certain lifestyle. I mean religious as in deeply committed to a tradition that goes back centuries. If some day you get your wish and those factory farms are gone for good, it will probably be because everything else has gone down with them. And in that case, you will find that those factory farms will seem benevolent in comparison to what nature dishes out.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned

I bet you don't even understand how funny that is. I pity you.
    Good job now go post more B.S info and have a good day.

what is the purpose of killing animals? Why do millions of animals die each year for the sake of human consumption? Why have people become so obessed with fast food? What makes an animals less of a being than humans? They can smell,touch, think, dream they can understand language.
    I actually wonder what would happen to our planet if every human being on it suddenly stopped eating/killing animals completely and subsisted on an entirely vegetarian diet. I'm inclined to think serious problems would ensue.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke