User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Facing The Unexpected- Disaster Preparation.

Perhaps it's my fascination with dystopian societies, and various apocalyptic scenarios, but I often wonder, how many people, on some level, take general disaster preparation seriously? How many of you keep some kind of home made or purchased kits, [generators, provisions, etc] in your vehicles &/or homes? What do they contain? If you don't, why not?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

^ I already own that, Spud.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    That reminds me, I need a machete.

MBTI
    intp

I have a kit that would allow me to live in the wilderness for 24-48 hours. It includes water resistant clothing (I live beside a rain forest), fire starting equipment, first aid kit, basic food, a tarp and sleeping bag, headlamp and batteries, compass/map, etc. I also generally have a case of water and lots of canned foods in the house.

garbage

I've been extremely close to and affected by 'disaster scenarios'--a typhoon, a flood, and a tornado, not at the same time--but thankfully never suffered much permanent loss. In the temporary lulls of reconstruction and chaos during and after these events, I adapted. My camping equipment doubled as emergency supplies.

The usefulness of my skillset, though, is largely contingent upon the fact that I live in a structured society where some of the 'grunt work' can be taken care of for me. I don't know what I could contribute to a society that is about to completely fall apart. I'd band together with my more 'down-to-earth' friends (rednecks, fishermen, etc.) and hopefully find a way to contribute or to learn from them. My most likely contribution would be camaraderie, morale, and leadership, but after learning a thing or two, I would not be above helping with the 'grunt work.'

On the other hand, I have plenty of water, food, clothes, and tools in the car, because I never know when they might come in handy. It's freeing to have the flexibility to just grab a bottle of water out of the trunk whenever I'm out and about and feeling thirsty.

Why am I not more prepared for a disaster scenario? Likely, because I was raised poor with stingy (out of necessity) parents and, to grow, I had to take on a mindset of abundance rather than one of paranoia or scarcity. I simply don't like a mentality of scarcity and do what I can to avoid it.

I have a kit, actually. I don't have a truck anymore, so I had to cut out some of stuff that I wouldn't actually need. This is my camping gear, but the kind of camping I do probably looks more like survival training.

-swedish firesteel, magnesium fire starter, matches, butane lighter, lint and steel wool in compressed blocks. I like to have options and learned the hard way that if you lose the only fire-starting tool, you'll be really cold at night : (((((
    -roll of cord - so many uses, but primarily for holding together logs for shelter from high winds and hanging firewood.
    -hatchet and sharpening stone - shelter-building
    -coffin-syle tent - lightweight, good for keeping bugs out, but lacks wind protection.
    -stainless steel coffee can - for preparing water and food.
    -fork/wooden spoon
    -knife, steel points and shovel for fish and shellfish
    -a water-tight flask containing seed(long-term only)
    -hydration pack
    -thick poncho
    -harmonica, for scaring away people, coyotes, foxes, etc
    -pistol and non-corrosive ammo for scaring away bob dylan, in case he hears the harmonica
    -thermal underwear, leather gloves, wool socks, balaclava, etc, etc

This is the bulk of it. I have a few other things I'll carry on camping trips but it's easy enough to live off of the land. Canned tropical fruit is something I'll bring sometimes, although we have an abundant source of vitamin c here: pine tree cambium and needles.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I have a kit, actually. I don't have a truck anymore, so I had to cut out some of stuff that I wouldn't actually need. This is my camping gear, but the kind of camping I do probably looks more like survival training.

-swedish firesteel, magnesium fire starter, matches, butane lighter, lint and steel wool in compressed blocks. I like to have options and learned the hard way that if you lose the only fire-starting tool, you'll be really cold at night : (((((
    -roll of cord - so many uses, but primarily for holding together logs for shelter from high winds and hanging firewood.
    -hatchet and sharpening stone - shelter-building
    -coffin-syle tent - lightweight, good for keeping bugs out, but lacks wind protection.
    -stainless steel coffee can - for preparing water and food.
    -fork/wooden spoon
    -knife, steel points and shovel for fish and shellfish
    -a water-tight flask containing seed(long-term only)
    -hydration pack
    -thick poncho
    -harmonica, for scaring away people, coyotes, foxes, etc
    -pistol and non-corrosive ammo for scaring away bob dylan, in case he hears the harmonica
    -thermal underwear, leather gloves, wool socks, balaclava, etc, etc

This is the bulk of it. I have a few other things I'll carry on camping trips but it's easy enough to live off of the land. Canned tropical fruit is something I'll bring sometimes, although we have an abundant source of vitamin c here: pine tree cambium and needles.
    Liar, you wouldn't want to scare away Bob Dylan.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have a mini sort of safety kit in my trunk-

-fairly extensive 1st aid kit; iodine, other forms of sterilizing wipes, rubber gloves, some cheap surgical masks [I have pretty bad asthma, anything to keep out potential fumes. I actually got 'em for when I was using chemicals to clean my bathroom, so I wouldn't suffocate myself. put some in my 1st aid kids, because, well, never know?], a spare albuterol inhaler for said asthma [they last 5yrs at least], epinephrine shot for bee stings [allergy], various types of guaze and bandages, splint materials. Scissors. Aspirin, tylenol.

-heated travel mug [this is more of a luxury; you plug it into your cigarette lighter; INTP friend and I unknowingly bought eachother one]

-a thermal blanket

-all weather military issue coat

-heavy duty winter gloves

-humidity resistant matches, & a couple lighters people have left in my car.

-granola bars, couple cans of soup [mainly because I hate buying food when I go out../hobo tendencies]

-swiss army knife [has come in handy on multiple occasions, surprisingly enough.]

-duct tape

-multi-tool [screwdrivers, wrenches, etc]

-flares

-jumper cables

-portable rechargeable battery to jump my car without the aid of another vehile, also has an air compressor for tires.

-water

-stainless steel container

-travel toothbrush/paste

-small towel

-flashlights; one I keep in my bag/on my person, the other's rechargeable & kept in my car

-batteries

-a set of battery heated socks [they were a gift!]- I figure they could prove useful in preventing frostbite if my car ever broke down/died and I was stranded in below zero weather.

..I think that's about all..

essentially I'd have similar things for a home kit.. I also have a gas mask [gift from paranoid grandfather]. I think water purification tablets would be useful, as well.

I have a water supply in case of malfunction, as the building doesn't have a backup reservoir, and some canned or dry food supplies in general. I've encountered a pamphlet once, giving tips for keeping extra supplies in case of emergency, think mostly due to the economic crisis, and possible food supply shortage from rushes to the supermarket. I thought it was neat and toke some pics. Other than that, we live in a pretty quiet place in terms of possible natural catastrophe occurrence, and overall pacific cultural mindset.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.