User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The worst disaster I have experienced personally was ~5 days without electricity or water due to a hurricane, though fortunately in a habitable dwelling. We had plenty of stored food, and used our propane grill for occasional cooking. I replenished the water a couple times from work, but only becasue I wasn't sure how long the situation would go on. Now I have several rain barrels, so plenty of water except in the dryest parts of the summer.

Supplies are good, but in a prolonged emergency period, skills are just as important. People rely on technology so much today, many basic skills are dying out. Who can build a fire any more, and cook over it, or even on an open hearth? How about splitting wood, safe foraging, even mending clothes and repairing things without the appliances we are all used to? How about entertainment when there is no electricity and only candle or firelight? Humans used to be great at all these things, and some of us posting here probably can still make do, but I bet most of my neighbors can't. The lady next door seemed helpless to deal with a small downed tree without intervention.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Supplies are good, but in a prolonged emergency period, skills are just as important. People rely on technology so much today, many basic skills are dying out. Who can build a fire any more, and cook over it, or even on an open hearth? How about splitting wood, safe foraging, even mending clothes and repairing things without the appliances we are all used to? How about entertainment when there is no electricity and only candle or firelight? Humans used to be great at all these things, and some of us posting here probably can still make do, but I bet most of my neighbors can't. The lady next door seemed helpless to deal with a small downed tree without intervention.
    If we can trust our societal structure, this stuff isn't so important (but learning it for its own sake is fun and interesting and builds character). On the other hand, when we cannot trust that structure (due to circumstances such as a natural disaster that shakes the structure up), that stuff is extremely important.

I will freely admit that I would have a lot of learning to do if a real disaster scenario hit. All of the credentials, skills, and experience that work for me under our current structure wouldn't mean much in an emergency scenario.

I will say that my mother would be an excellent resource for disaster preparation. She basically lives as if she is in the 1860s anyway; among other things, she scrimps and saves rainwater, knows how to cultivate a garden, and has a shitton of stocked food and resources. She's the best example of an sp-dom (instinctual variant) that I know. Some of that rubbed off on me, especially when I was first trying to "make it" in this world and turned to those methods out of necessity, but.. yeah, I'd have to make a concerted effort to reconnect to that mindset.

I know the government will take care of me. They are good at what they do. I'm even willing to vote to give them more of my money and other people's money so they can decide how they will take better care of me and everyone else.

Ok, that's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes.