User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I did. But moving about so much has made it difficult to take things with me all the time. I am starting over again. I bought a emergency space blanket yesterday, and I'm hoping to collect more things along the way. It is sort of silly, considering I'm never really near the initialization of a survivor scenario, but it is a bit of fun as well to prepare.
    Probably best not to stay too attached to material goods, anyhow.
    I wouldn't say being somewhat prepared for the unexpected is silly, as long as you don't go overboard with it.. like my friend's parents, whose cellar essentially looks like an overstocked convenience store.

Thinking about apocalyptic/disaster scenarios is always a motivator for me to try to get in stronger shape, like build more lean muscle.. *flex*
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Probably best not to stay too attached to material goods, anyhow.
    I wouldn't say being somewhat prepared for the unexpected is silly, as long as you don't go overboard with it.. like my friend's parents, whose cellar essentially looks like an overstocked convenience store.

Thinking about apocalyptic/disaster scenarios is always a motivator for me to try to get in stronger shape, like build more lean muscle.. *flex*
    Living on a temporary place indefinitely, I've got accustomed to just the essentials, and am somewhat in a mindset always on the go.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Living on a temporary place indefinitely, I've got accustomed to just the essentials, and am somewhat in a mindset always on the go.
    I thought that was just the Ne way ?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

I thought that was just the Ne way ?
    Possibly, it is still influenced by the environment, so the lack of a more permanent setting helps to keep it in check.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think about what are the potential threats, how likely are those threats to be realized and what is the likely impact. The most likely disasters are probably losing ones job, medical/health problems, losing a loved one or automobile accidents. You can drive a safer car, take care of yourself, have regular medical check-ups, get life insurance, eliminate debt and save money. Losing a loved one - that's hard to prevent. That's how I think about it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a fairly comprehensive kit in my vehicle.

Water
    Food
    Tools for a breakdown/flat/minor accident
    Flashlights
    Wool blankets
    Gloves and hats in winter
    Athletic shoes
    Crank charger for cell phone
    First aid kit
    Small bills and change

Home has the same type of kit but on a larger scale, provisions, water and a full house generator that runs on natural gas. The idea of self-sufficiency is very important to me and to obtain that at any level, you have to prepare for it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Perhaps it's my fascination with dystopian societies, and various apocalyptic scenarios, but I often wonder, how many people, on some level, take general disaster preparation seriously? How many of you keep some kind of home made or purchased kits, [generators, provisions, etc] in your vehicles &/or homes? What do they contain? If you don't, why not?
    I live in a major city where the weather is not generally too violent and we're not generally thought to be at risk of major natural disasters. The biggest "disaster" threat here is likely to be a terrorist attack or a transport network disaster.

I can't say that I have much more in mind currently than a vague plan of who I need to contact first to let them know I'm ok. The problem is that this would probably be through the mobile phone network and that may go down if there is a major disaster or attack. I guess in that case I would need to wait till the network comes up again, or see if I could access the internet and at least send a few emails. I would want to update Facebook to let people around the world know I was ok - it is a great way to do that quickly. I have friends in Japan and when the earthquake and tsunami happened last year, the first I heard about it I thought that it might have been in their area. (They live in the area of the 1995 Kobe earthquake). By logging onto Facebook I was able to find out quickly that they were far from the disaster area, and I also learned quite quickly that some acquaintances in the Tokyo area were ok though shaken up.

My parents live on the West Coast of Canada, where I grew up. It is an earthquake zone and it is likely that "the big one" could strike any time. They have had an earthquake kit ready for some years and they keep it up to date. They're pretty conscientious about stuff like that.

I don't own a vehicle to put stuff into. I guess I could keep some kind of basic box with first aid and canned goods in my house - might be something to think about.

I have a pretty good support network through friends and my congregation, so my priority would be to contact each other, let people know I'm ok, and I think we'd have sufficient mutual support in place.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

essentially I'd have similar things for a home kit.. I also have a gas mask [gift from paranoid grandfather]. I think water purification tablets would be useful, as well.
    Coffee filters are an excellent item to filter water in conjunction with the tablets. They can double as a bowl/vessel for dry foods. Which is how I began using them in the first place for more than coffee, good for snacks for little ones.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post

I have a pretty good support network through friends and my congregation, so my priority would be to contact each other, let people know I'm ok, and I think we'd have sufficient mutual support in place.
    My ENFJ said the same type of thing. I said - Great but how do you address basic needs, once you have let everyone know you're ok? This is probably why he thinks I should go on that Doomsday Preppers show.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My ENFJ said the same type of thing. I said - Great but how do you address basic needs, once you have let everyone know you're ok? This is probably why he thinks I should go on that Doomsday Preppers show.
    Being a little on the paranoid side isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think I have kind thought to myself "well, unlike my folks, I don't live in an earthquake zone, so..." But it wouldn't hurt to at least have a small first aid kit and some canned goods, bottled water and a can opener. I am moving house pretty soon, so maybe once I'm in the new place!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING