User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you do with the money?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pocket it.

16 44.44%
  • Ignore it.

11 30.56%
  • Flag down the clerk and give it to him.

8 22.22%
  • Take it, but donate $2 to charity/church later.

6 16.67%
  • Throw it out.

1 2.78%
  • Ask someone else nearby if they want it.

1 2.78%
  • Make it into an origami pelican and leave it for the next person.

3 8.33%
  • Other

2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Finding Money: What Would You Do?

I'm interested in what people would do in this situation, and the logic they used to reach that decision.

You are at the express personal checkout at the grocery, and as you finish scanning your own groceries and prepare to pay, you notice money that someone left in the bill change tray at waist level. It looks like two crisp $1 bills... a total of 2 USD.

There is no sign of whoever came before you... if it was even their money. There is a clerk stationed to monitor the self-checkout hub (six machines) but he doesn't seem to be paying attention.

What do you do about the money?
    As I said, I'm more interested in (1) how you assess the situation and (2) the logic you use to reach your conclusion.

OPTIONAL #1: Would your response change if something in the scenario changed, and why or why not?
    For example, would you respond differently if the amount in the tray was $20? 50?

OPTIONAL #2: Would you feel guilty, if you decided to keep it? For example, if you took it, would you just take it, or would you try to take it sneakily while making sure no one saw you?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Presumably, it belongs to the last customer, not the store. The customer isn't there ans probably wouldn't notice or come back for the cash because it's such a petty amount. The cash is therefore abandoned. Take it. The store has no better claim to it.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I've been in this situation with a $20.00 bill, and I took it. Score!

However, a few days before at the same grocery store, I saw someone drop a $100 bill and let them know before they walked out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Money-> If I don't know who owns it, it probably has no owner anymore.
    A substantial amount could cause more problem than it's worth though.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned

It's two bucks...it's not even worth two bucks...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I would either pocket it or ignore it because it is pretty trivial ans the person would not likely notice it was gone anyway. If it was $1000,then i would turn it it because the person might need that money.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IsFJ

I suppose the money belongs to the previous customer, so keeping the money and letting the store have it would both result in the entitled party not getting it back... I think I'd leave it there, though, because... it's not mine, I guess?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I would flag down the clerk and give it to him for safe keeping. Someone might come back looking for it.

No. The amount of money wouldn't change my behavior.
    lol, you think the cashier isn't going to just picket it for them self? naive to the game.

finders keepers, losers weepers.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I would pocket it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    OPTIONAL #1: Would your response change if something in the scenario changed, and why or why not?
    For example, would you respond differently if the amount in the tray was $20? 50?
    I would still pocket it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    OPTIONAL #2: Would you feel guilty, if you decided to keep it? For example, if you took it, would you just take it, or would you try to take it sneakily while making sure no one saw you?
    I wouldn't feel guilty, however, as long as it was a small amount of money, I probably would spend it that day and treat myself.
    I could go for a strawberry shake.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

$2 is no big deal. I think there's no duty to hand in money unless: A) it's in a place where that is feasible to hand it in (it's not just lying in the street, for instance); B) it's probable that someone will come to claim it; AND, C) it is a decent amount. I once handed in $20 (that's about US$17) at a supermarket mainly for the first and second reasons, and because I could imagine it belonging to some poor little old lady for whom that would a significant sum. The girl at the information counter glared at me in scorn for handing in such a small amount, and took it begrudgingly.

However, I wouldn't think of pocketing it until I had made a half-decent effort to find the owner. I mean if they had only just left the checkout before me I would try to return it to them. I also might put it in the charity collection, as I have done in the past.

Anyway, frankly it's daft and pathetic to sneakily take $2.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte