User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you do with the money?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pocket it.

16 44.44%
  • Ignore it.

11 30.56%
  • Flag down the clerk and give it to him.

8 22.22%
  • Take it, but donate $2 to charity/church later.

6 16.67%
  • Throw it out.

1 2.78%
  • Ask someone else nearby if they want it.

1 2.78%
  • Make it into an origami pelican and leave it for the next person.

3 8.33%
  • Other

2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

For starters I probably wouldn't notice it at all (I once managed to withdraw 80 euros from the cash distributor and leave without taking the money, this is how abysmal my Se function is), but supposing I did:

"Huh? 2 bucks? Whatever, I'm not gonna risk any trouble with its possible owner for just 2 bucks."
    If it was more (like, if I was the guy who found those 80 euros at the cash distributor) it might be different. If I could be sure I wouldn't get into trouble I'd probably take and keep it, no guilt involved. "Someone's bound to take it; why not me?"
    However if the owner then came and asked what happened to their money then I'd give it back, even if he /she didn't know I was the one who took it.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Answer any options you want, and fill it whatever gaps you want
    excellent: in that case the gap in the story is that i gave it to the guy in front of me, he was senile and in the middle forgot what was happening and asked what kind of change did i want, at which point he opened his wallet and forgot how much i gave him, at which point i make an assessment to how much is in his wallet (we'll assume its canadian dollars so that you can tell by the color code), and answered a 100$, and looking at his hand and seen a 20 he figures out he was giving me change in 20$ bills and gives me 5x 20$.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I probably wouldn't even notice it. And I doubt I'd chase anyone down for $2...

$20 - I'd probably be convinced that the "What Would You Do?" guy would pop up and ask me why I took the money or why I tried to find the owner...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    excellent: in that case the gap in the story is that i gave it to the guy in front of me, he was senile and in the middle forgot what was happening and asked what kind of change did i want, at which point he opened his wallet and forgot how much i gave him, at which point i make an assessment to how much is in his wallet (we'll assume its canadian dollars so that you can tell by the color code), and answered a 100$, and looking at his hand and seen a 20 he figures out he was giving me change in 20$ bills and gives me 5x 20$.
    ...Don't spend all that imaginary money in one place!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    $20 - I'd probably be convinced that the "What Would You Do?" guy would pop up and ask me why I took the money or why I tried to find the owner...
    I actually had it run through my mind of, "Hmm, I wonder if this is a test and someone is watching?"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'd ignore it. It's somebody elses money. Or maybe it's one of those setups to see what people do when $2 is left in a bill change tray with no claimants in sight to illustrate how mores loosen when the stakes are low and nobody is watching.

If it were significantly more than that, I'd probably bring the manager into the situation so that the checker wouldn't pocket the money in case the rightful owner came back.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I'd go for whatever leads to the highest probability that it'd get back to the customer, the amount of effort expended weighted by how much money is involved.

For $2, I'd leave it in the tray or set it to the side. If the customer notices that they are missing their $2, they may come back for it, and they'd be more likely to look near the change tray than to ask a cashier if they'd seen it--they'd likely consider it taken if they don't spot it near the tray.

With higher amounts of money, I'd assume that the customer would perform more due diligence in trying to get it back; they'd be more willing to ask a cashier or customer service.

If I were poorer or more desperate, I could imagine taking the money. Thankfully, I have the luxury of being able to adhere to principles without starving myself.
    +1
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'd ignore it. It's somebody elses money. Or maybe it's one of those setups to see what people do when $2 is left in a bill change tray with no claimants in sight to illustrate how mores loosen when the stakes are low and nobody is watching.
    Actually, yeah. I might just assume that I'm on Candid Camera or something

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I honestly think that any manager is internally just going to roll his or her eyes over a customer that turns in $2 and won't even trust the clerk to turn it in.

They'll do lip service to the person handing in the money and set it aside at the customer service desk for a few days "in case the person comes back" and I guarantee within a few days that money will be gone because someone will have just taken it for a soda or dumped it into a till and no one will gave a darn, and likely that if someone WOULD come back in, they would end up talking to someone who has no idea whether someone found $2 or not because communication among low-paid rotating staff is abyssmal.

Managers have many problems to consider, moment by moment, in their day; and someone who left $2 in the self-service tray and drove home is waaaaay at the bottom of that list. So you'll get lip service, a temp patch, and then the same old outcome.

... just my thoughts on the reality of the situation, as opposed to the ideal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    How on earth are they going to know better than you who left it there?
    I dunno, just going off my instinct on this one

There are generally a few assumptions I make

If it wasn't there while I was moving up in line, it is possible that the person in front of me getting money out of his/her wallet may have dropped it.
    a: If the person is still there when I notice it, I'll call out or poke him/her and tell that person he/she dropped their money
    b: If I assume the person in front of me dropped the changed, but that person already left by the time I notice, I'll keep it.