User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you do with the money?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pocket it.

16 44.44%
  • Ignore it.

11 30.56%
  • Flag down the clerk and give it to him.

8 22.22%
  • Take it, but donate $2 to charity/church later.

6 16.67%
  • Throw it out.

1 2.78%
  • Ask someone else nearby if they want it.

1 2.78%
  • Make it into an origami pelican and leave it for the next person.

3 8.33%
  • Other

2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As I said, I'm more interested in (1) how you assess the situation and (2) the logic you use to reach your conclusion.

OPTIONAL #1: Would your response change if something in the scenario changed, and why or why not?
    For example, would you respond differently if the amount in the tray was $20? 50?

OPTIONAL #2: Would you feel guilty, if you decided to keep it? For example, if you took it, would you just take it, or would you try to take it sneakily while making sure no one saw you?
    If there were no way to trace the owner with reasonable certainty, I would keep it, and donate it to some charity in the community. Part of my reasoning is that if I leave it, or give it to the store personnel, it in all likelihood will go to someone other than the original owner. If that is going to happen, that someone might as well be me, and I will make sure it is put to at least as good a purpose as another random finder would. It would have to be a fairly large, identifiable sum (e.g. $100 bill) for me to have any faith that the store might return it to its owner. As for option 2, I would neither feel nor act guilty, but simply take it as if it were mine all along.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INtP

For two dollars? I'd ignore it. If a clerk were standing right there, I'd probably say "hey, somebody left this here", but I wouldn't go out of my way to turn it in, either. If it were more, like $20+, I'd make an effort to find a clerk. I wouldn't take it. The $2 isn't worth the guilt I'd feel for taking it, and the $20 is something someone is likely to miss, or need. I guess that I don't consider money left in a change tray "abandoned" in the same way I'd consider money blowing around in a parking lot abandoned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Funny the various bits of logic that consistently appear.

For example, the amount of the money apparently plays a role.

if x = money
    then as x increases, there's more chance that
    - the owner will notice and then decide that returning is worth the cost in time and gas money
    - the clerk can be trusted not to pocket the money
    - thus that the finder will either leave the money there or (as x increases) turn in the money.

[In a tangent scenario, regarding the amount, I remember one time when I saw $5 lying on the middle of the mall floor and I didn't pick it up. If it had been a $1, I might have; and if it had been a $20, I might have; but for some reason the $5 stymied me.]

Also playing a role is if there are any "likely" owners around.
    If someone had just left the machine, no doubt one would ask them if the money was theirs.
    If there is no one around and thus the time of the loss could be anything from 5 minutes to hours in the past, it becomes "free" money.

Typically, also, chances are the grocery bill was somewhere over 15$. It's unlikely for someone to buy a few candy bars with a $5 and forget $2 in change. however, if the bill is large and there is a decent amount of groceries to load onto the cart, then there seems to be more likelihood that the owner would forget $2.

There is also the fun bit of logic that for low amounts of money, whoever picks it up will just keep it and the owner will not return for it -- even if we're considering the store itself -- so the finder might as well keep the money if the original owner will never get it back anyway.

personal ethics are the only things overriding these basic concerns:
    - rules of religious conduct might make one turn the money in anyway, or donate it to charity
    - one experiences guilt for keeping the money, even iit's likely the original owner will never return / could not be found

The actual scenario:
    Barely anyone was in the checkout area.
    The clerk was daydreaming.
    The machine was empty when I got there, so there was no "last customer / probable owner."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Just the other day I found $40 someone had dropped among some apples as I was cleaning up at work. I told my boss about it and she told me to keep it (very nice of her). I don't feel any guilt about it and I don't think I should. Even if I hadn't told anyone, I don't think I'd feel guilty.

The way I look at it is: if I lost $40 (a lot of money as a poor student), there's no way I'd go around asking people "hey, did you find $40 here the other day?" I'd just write it off and feel the pain of the loss (and make an effort to be more careful with my money in the future).

I'd say finding a wallet is MUCH different. You can trace that back to the owner. Nobody can prove that the loose cash you found is theirs. It happens and you just gotta move on.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

This thread has been kind of interesting, because I didn't really even think twice about taking the money. I looked around at the 4 auto-check out machines, then the door, and once I saw that everything was empty simply figured the person likely forgot to grab their change. I never even thought about half of the stuff this thread mentioned.

I wonder if it's just an NF fail on my part, or if it's a case of analyzing a "what if" scenario on the internet vs actually being there in the moment. I'll accept both answers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would ignore it/flag down a clerk. Depending on which is the most convenient option, which is usually just ignoring it.

OPTIONAL #1: Would your response change if something in the scenario changed, and why or why not?
    For example, would you respond differently if the amount in the tray was $20? 50?

Yes. If I saw that money on the street, I would pocket it. But if it's in an establishment of some sort, I believe it should "belong" to the owner of that establishment even if it really does not. If it were more money, and I was in the store, the chances are even higher of me flagging down a clerk. Namely this has to do more with the chances of being observed and getting caught for picking up abandoned money.

OPTIONAL #2: Would you feel guilty, if you decided to keep it? For example, if you took it, would you just take it, or would you try to take it sneakily while making sure no one saw you?

I would probably feel guilty if it weren't laying around in a public place, and I would likely end up donating that same amount to something. That way, the money wasn't lost to me and it went back into something useful. But if I were to take it, I would not try to be sneaky, but instead just grab it like I would as if it were my own money. (I strongly suspect that the more confidently you act, the less likely you will be noticed in doing something suspicious.)
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I wonder if it's just an NF fail on my part, or if it's a case of analyzing a "what if" scenario on the internet vs actually being there in the moment. I'll accept both answers.
    I dunno, but if it helps, a lot of the logic I covered in my post actually flashed through my head in about the 3-5 seconds I stood there dumbly looking down at the money in the tray.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I found a $20 on the ground at Starbucks when I was working there, and I kept it. Obviously, if any customer were to ask about it or come in looking, I would happily return it to its rightful owner. I don't see why in cases like this it's suggested that doing so would be dishonest. I would take a quick scan around the area, and see if it appears that someone may be missing their money. Maybe I observed that someone was just recently standing in that area where the bill was found. I would not feel the need to turn it into the business, because first of all, it's not their money. Secondly, it's not likely that someone would come back looking or even notice that it was missing or where it went missing, so the business would end up pocketing it (in which case, why should they get it and not me?)

On the contrary, one time I was walking behind a lady that had a $5 bill drop from her opened purse. She didn't notice. I picked it up, and gave it back to her.
    Exactly. If no owner is around, it's finders keepers. If someone came in asking about it and asked me directly or I overheard, I would happily return the money to them, because it's obviously rightfully theirs. But if I find cash and I don't know who it belongs to, I'm keeping it, regardless of the amount. If I found a wallet, however, I would turn it in to customer service. Anything that allows me to trace the owner means finders-keepers rules don't apply.
    Something Witty

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm interested in what people would do in this situation, and the logic they used to reach that decision.

As I said, I'm more interested in (1) how you assess the situation and (2) the logic you use to reach your conclusion.

was there a line? did i get to see customer before he left? is giving it back to him even an option? between the store getting an extra buck and me i would choose me, and on brief skim through that seems to be the consensus here among those who would do anything with it... i really think you need that 3rd option to make this interesting.

as for the the people who'll ignore it: 1$ pays your way for an nice soda to enjoy or a pack of printing paper from the dollar store, once in awhile you even find their something nice for the kitchen, and hey it can be an extra pair of socks... who couldn't use another pair of socks? and sometimes it can be a microwave noodles for that day you didn't have any time to cook, or the thank you tip you can give someone to ask for a call that one day your mobile runs out of battery in the middle of an urgent conversation... and what if you find yourself in india? i heard that 1$ is like 5 days in indian village-hostels! and what about when your laundry machine's broken? 1$ can sometimes be a whole load in a laundry place! clean clothes people, nice clean clothes... and did i mention that 1$ is no less then a full 0.0001% of a a million bucks? or that with inflation rate, whatever you use that 1$ from would be worth 2$ or even 3$ in just a few more years?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    was there a line? did i get to see customer before he left? is giving it back to him even an option? between the store getting an extra buck and me i would choose me, and on brief skim through that seems to be the consensus here among those who would do anything with it... i really think you need that 3rd option to make this interesting.
    Answer any options you want, and fill it whatever gaps you want, like other people have done. Qualify your answer however you'd like.

as for the the people who'll ignore it: 1$ pays your way for an nice soda to enjoy or a pack of printing paper from the dollar store, once in awhile you even find their something nice for the kitchen, and hey it can be an extra pair of socks... who couldn't use another pair of socks? and sometimes it can be a microwave noodles for that day you didn't have any time to cook, or the thank you tip you can give someone to ask for a call that one day your mobile runs out of battery in the middle of an urgent conversation... and what if you find yourself in india? i heard that 1$ is like 5 days in indian village-hostels! and what about when your laundry machine's broken? 1$ can sometimes be a whole load in a laundry place! clean clothes people, nice clean clothes... and did i mention that 1$ is no less then a full 0.0001% of a a million bucks? or that with inflation rate, whatever you use that 1$ from would be worth 2$ or even 3$ in just a few more years?
    $2 USD would have bought me five cans of Diet Coke in a Bangkok supermarket... even more if I was buying them from a street vendor somewhere.