User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you do with the money?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pocket it.

16 44.44%
  • Ignore it.

11 30.56%
  • Flag down the clerk and give it to him.

8 22.22%
  • Take it, but donate $2 to charity/church later.

6 16.67%
  • Throw it out.

1 2.78%
  • Ask someone else nearby if they want it.

1 2.78%
  • Make it into an origami pelican and leave it for the next person.

3 8.33%
  • Other

2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

I found a $20 on the ground at Starbucks when I was working there, and I kept it. Obviously, if any customer were to ask about it or come in looking, I would happily return it to its rightful owner. I don't see why in cases like this it's suggested that doing so would be dishonest. I would take a quick scan around the area, and see if it appears that someone may be missing their money. Maybe I observed that someone was just recently standing in that area where the bill was found. I would not feel the need to turn it into the business, because first of all, it's not their money. Secondly, it's not likely that someone would come back looking or even notice that it was missing or where it went missing, so the business would end up pocketing it (in which case, why should they get it and not me?)

On the contrary, one time I was walking behind a lady that had a $5 bill drop from her opened purse. She didn't notice. I picked it up, and gave it back to her.

MBTI
    ESFJ

If i were to see someone drop money then i would return it, moreso if someone had dropped their wallet. If no-one is around thus i can't return it to the rightful owner, it's mine.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

$2 ain't really worth anything, I'd just leave it there. If it were a higher amount of money then I'd be more likely to notify an employee and have them take it (presumably to return it to it's original owner).

garbage

I'd go for whatever leads to the highest probability that it'd get back to the customer, the amount of effort expended weighted by how much money is involved.

For $2, I'd leave it in the tray or set it to the side. If the customer notices that they are missing their $2, they may come back for it, and they'd be more likely to look near the change tray than to ask a cashier if they'd seen it--they'd likely consider it taken if they don't spot it near the tray.

With higher amounts of money, I'd assume that the customer would perform more due diligence in trying to get it back; they'd be more willing to ask a cashier or customer service.

If I were poorer or more desperate, I could imagine taking the money. Thankfully, I have the luxury of being able to adhere to principles without starving myself.

I'd ignore it. It's cash so you can't track down the owner down easily and I'm not going to be bothered to try. I'd feel weird taking it though. I'd want it more if it were 20 bucks or 50 bucks but the higher the sum, the less likely I would be to take it.

MBTI
    INTP

I would keep it. No way to track owner.
    "It's never enough." The Cure

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm interested in what people would do in this situation, and the logic they used to reach that decision.

As I said, I'm more interested in (1) how you assess the situation and (2) the logic you use to reach your conclusion.

OPTIONAL #1: Would your response change if something in the scenario changed, and why or why not?
    For example, would you respond differently if the amount in the tray was $20? 50?

OPTIONAL #2: Would you feel guilty, if you decided to keep it? For example, if you took it, would you just take it, or would you try to take it sneakily while making sure no one saw you?
    Since the last person wasn't in sight, I'd take it non-sneakily with no guilt. Doesn't matter the amount, unless it's something ridiculous (like 100 or more) that is obviously a serious mistake rather than just forgotten. In that case I'd ask the clerk what the store policy is. Normally they hold onto it and give it to you if nobody claims it in X time. For 20$ or less I don't think anyone would ever return for it though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ignore it.

In the parking lot, probably keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    $2 ain't really worth anything, I'd just leave it there. If it were a higher amount of money then I'd be more likely to notify an employee and have them take it (presumably to return it to it's original owner).
    How on earth are they going to know better than you who left it there?

I'd just pocket that shit and think nothing of it, finders keepers

If there was a remote chance you knew who owned it then sure, give it back to them

Eg. you see money fall out of someones pocket

Otherwise, its yours

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm interested in what people would do in this situation, and the logic they used to reach that decision.

As I said, I'm more interested in (1) how you assess the situation and (2) the logic you use to reach your conclusion.

OPTIONAL #1: Would your response change if something in the scenario changed, and why or why not?
    For example, would you respond differently if the amount in the tray was $20? 50?

OPTIONAL #2: Would you feel guilty, if you decided to keep it? For example, if you took it, would you just take it, or would you try to take it sneakily while making sure no one saw you?
    1- I would leave the money with a manager.
    2- $2 doesn't seem like much to me, but maybe it got left there accidentally by someone with 5 kids and they are frazzled and losing their job, etc.

Alternatively, I look at it like this: it may just be $2, but perhaps it's just the first small step where I feel justified to take this $2. Then another day I find $20 and I think, well, this isn't that much! Then another time I find a way to keep $50, etc.

And finally, I can look at it from a Christian point of view. I don't think god has a magical hidden number you can play with before he becomes frowny face god... I think it's pretty much a nonnegotiable 0.

Ultimately I find that I live my life in the present based on future possibilities and projections of who I want to be and where I want to end up.

(I grew up catholic in an Italian family... Guilt works strong within me.)