User Tag List

First 123

The Wisdom of Crowds

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    So compulsury education fosters creativity? Totally absurd. Mythopoetics and logic make for poor bedfellows.
    Dear Nebbykoo, if you don't mind me saying so, you are looking at universal literacy from a parochial point of view. And indeed the very idea of a point of view comes from literacy.

Universal literacy gave us a new way of thinking. We started to think counter-intuitively. And counter-intuitive thinking gave us science, liberal democracy, modern economics, modern medicine, and the universal declaration of human rights, and even modern art. In fact universal literacy gave us the modern world.

But now the modern world is morphing into the electronic world as we watch, feel and listen.

Of course I understand you are unhappy with your present education system as it is still the result of Prussian Pedagogy. However you are mistaken if you think the new electronic age will produce creative individuals because the new electronic age will produce no individuals at all. We are all that is left - the wisdom of crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I surely hope not As a teacher, I do the best I can...
    I doubt anyone in this thread is holding you personally responsible for the post-Industrial Revolution education system originally designed to churn out productive laborers.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Creativity can only be suppressed if you let it get suppressed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!

"I don't wear a toupee!" Donald Trump

MBTI
    ENTP

I felt free to leave out the education-creativity link. I agree with you on that one. Literacy gives a hell of a boost to ingenuity/creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But now the modern world is morphing into the electronic world as we watch, feel and listen. (...) However you are mistaken if you think the new electronic age will produce creative individuals because the new electronic age will produce no individuals at all. We are all that is left - the wisdom of crowds.
    I don't agree here. You're just saying the same as the previous generation said when television became popular - "all they are doing now is watching, they aren't imagining or creating things any more" and - now you may be surprised - the generation before THAT said when people started reading fiction - "you are just losing yourself in a world created by other people".
    Is the new medium responsible for a decline in creativity? Of course not! On the contrary! Writing made it easier and cheaper to communicate - and the result was more ideas, more creativity, more science. The printing press did the same.
    And the internet is doing the same now.

Do you really think there's nobody out here looking at, eg, those motivational posters and thinking "I can do that too, heck, I can do better than that!" Do you really think there's nobody out here looking at the mechanics of Facebook, enhancing it a bit and putting it into a science fiction story where the hero doesn't dare to defriend his enemies (officially listed as friends and thus able to know where he is at all times) because then he'd be marked by the State as dangerously asocial?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

garbage

Is the new medium responsible for a decline in creativity? Of course not! On the contrary! Writing made it easier and cheaper to communicate - and the result was more ideas, more creativity, more science. The printing press did the same.

Do you really think there's nobody out here looking at, eg, those motivational posters and thinking "I can do that too, heck, I can do better than that!" Do you really think there's nobody out here looking at the mechanics of Facebook, enhancing it a bit and putting it into a science fiction story where the hero doesn't dare to defriend his enemies (officially listed as friends and thus able to know where he is at all times) because then he'd be marked by the State as dangerously asocial?
    Seriously. Making things easier to do lowers entry barriers, which allows more people to participate at lower 'cost.' We can concentrate more on 'outsourcing' the menial stuff to machines and to standard practices so that we can concentrate on creative, higher-level thinking.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah, send them to highschool.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Dear Nebbykoo, if you don't mind me saying so, you are looking at universal literacy from a parochial point of view. And indeed the very idea of a point of view comes from literacy.

Universal literacy gave us a new way of thinking. We started to think counter-intuitively. And counter-intuitive thinking gave us science, liberal democracy, modern economics, modern medicine, and the universal declaration of human rights, and even modern art. In fact universal literacy gave us the modern world.

But now the modern world is morphing into the electronic world as we watch, feel and listen.

Of course I understand you are unhappy with your present education system as it is still the result of Prussian Pedagogy. However you are mistaken if you think the new electronic age will produce creative individuals because the new electronic age will produce no individuals at all. We are all that is left - the wisdom of crowds.
    That's kind of selfish, though. If creativity is becoming easier in groups, so be it. Once our minds adjust to the technology, I think we will start to see some creative genius that we never dreamed possible. Especially with our collective minds. The next generation of little kids are going to be super proficient in the smaller world and it won't be such a big creativity buster anymore. It's just a different kind of creativity.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

I felt free to leave out the education-creativity link. I agree with you on that one. Literacy gives a hell of a boost to ingenuity/creativity.

I don't agree here. You're just saying the same as the previous generation said when television became popular - "all they are doing now is watching, they aren't imagining or creating things any more" and - now you may be surprised - the generation before THAT said when people started reading fiction - "you are just losing yourself in a world created by other people".

Sure, dear Tamske, the literate creative genius is being replaced by the wisdom of the crowd.

If we look around us, we can see we are in the crowd already - the crowd of Central.

Hear the roar of the crowd. Feel it lift us. The wisdom of the crowd compels us to come here every day.

MBTI
    ENTP

A few things happened to me in real life (hit my limits again while teaching) and I was thinking about a terribly pessimitic thing that would fit this tread.
    If the school system is designed to kill creativity, that's a good thing. Unfortunately it doesn't do its job well. At least, it didn't for me. I'd be much better at my job if I weren't creative. You could say I've chosen the wrong job, maybe even the wrong studies. Should have picked arts instead of sciences...
    But the truth is: nobody wants more creative people. There are way too many wannabe artists already. The world needs teachers, not writers, so I'd better start teach as if I'll be teaching my whole life, not as if it's just a temporary fix until my books sell!
    Every time I fail at teaching, it's because I've been writing the day before. I mustn't be happy with my writing, because that's a sure sign of impending failure. Sometimes I wish I weren't creative, I wish I'd be satisfied with just doing my job well.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women