User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Impressions: Internet vs IRL

For those that attended meet-ups or met people from the internet, did you ever change your opinion of the person after you met them in person? If so, what influenced the change in your opinion? Please be as detailed and as honest as possible, because this srs bsns.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    GONE

It depends on how strong an impression or projection of a person online that you have. Some people have been very different irl than their internet personas. But then, even in a single meet up you don't really get to know someone terribly will.

Aww, Edgar, are you in e love? You and Mooseantlers should compare notes.

I could get more specific. FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

There are two people whose impressions in 'real life' were rather different from the ones I got of them online.

The first one was someone who, online, seemed to be funny, easy-going, even relatively interesting. In real life, he was very dull. He was mostly ignored during the meeting. The second one was someone has a rather bold attitude online but is very humble in person. Now, when talking to the latter on the internet, I sometimes remember the person from real life in order not to be annoyed by some of his contrary opinions.

I think it is fair to say that, when you hear how people speak, you often see what they type in a different light. It can shift your entire paradigm of text perception to meet someone in person; but in most cases, I guess, people try to be themselves online, so there is only little adjustment necessary to read them correctly - provided that the real life impression is correct.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Of the ones I've met: One seemed quite savy online but in person seemed awkward and a bit immature. His black socks with the shorts and dress shoes didn't help. One was much more gregarious and charming than I expected. Three were exactly the way I thought they would be in terms of personality. Two were far better looking than I thought they would be. Two were more extraverted than I expected. With all that, did I change my opinion of them? Except for the one guy with black socks, my perceptions only improved though I'm not sure it really matters. It was just nice to meet them - that's all.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Ginkgo

Yes. I was once told that people tend to idealize others on the net before they meet irl. I don't think this is always true; sometimes rl impressions may beat out our old assumptions with something more positive.

Listening to myself type this, I imagine the topic would be rather uninteresting unless people started dolling out the details of their opinions of others.

Edgar: You were really more like an amped up version of who you are online. I don't think you have a problem fitting in with extraverts and enjoying the more extraverted way of things.

Some people at the meetup I went to gave fuller personas of themselves. Online, I think people see less of a need to share personal intel on themselves.

A few were much more drab in character than their online personas let on.

I think how people present themselves largely depends on what they seek in an interaction and what they have to offer, and forum meetups usually don't provide an overwhelming incentive to be very close and personal. Usually. Furthermore, people tend to have less to offer off the forum than on, because the forum depends so heavily on itself and the rest of the net. Depending on who you are, attending a meetup may not be a far cry from starting from scratch with people you previously talked to on the forum.

I'm not judging people in a vacuum.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Some people I've met (like CzeCze and uDog) are just like I've seen them online.

Some people have accentuated traits but still seem like themselves. (For example, Haight is far funnier in person but can seem dry online.)

And some people just have an online persona that they wear like a piece of clothing, because it suits their purposes, but it's just an aspect of them or a role that they are playing. For example, a former member of staff is one of the most cheery, fun, easy-going people I've met IRL; but online she had a rep that was very different, because she believed that she was more effective that way.

Anyway, one cannot assume how someone in particular will play out.

All that aside, though, I can't remember having my opinion of someone drastically changed; typically I can see how who they are IRL meshing in some way with their online persona.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I've met a number of people from on here and I can't really think of any that were very different from how I expected them to be based on how they act here.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Halla is in real life just as he appears online, larger than life with a good heart.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Halla is in real life just as he appears online, larger than life with a good heart.
    Are the pecs larger than life too?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I haven't met a lot of people irl that I have talked to on the internet. But it's obvious to me that the people I do talk to irl do not seem to resemble the types of people I meet on the internet. They don't communicate the same way, or about the same things, or seem to project the same way. So, either forumers are totally different than people in my vicinity, which may be part of the truth, or there is a disconnect on the way I percieve and others project on the internet vs rl.