User Tag List

First 1234 Last

one was far more extroverted than I ever imagined *hugs*
    one was far more reserved, soft spoken, and polite than I imagined (Ms. Marm!)
    one was initially reserved and had always been fascinating to me online, but was equally interesting IRL, just in a slightly different way. I greatly enjoyed talking with her.

the two INTJs were just INTJs-online all INTJs seem slightly more outspoken online than in real life, likely because you get to see more of what they are thinking on thier own terms in their own timeframe, however older INTJs also have a sweet charm to them, that makes one feel at home.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Has Edgar finally found a boy friend?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Listening to myself type this, I imagine the topic would be rather uninteresting unless people started dolling out the details of their opinions of others.
    Haha, that is so true. But the last time we had a good online vs IRL discussion, some folks got banned.
    Here's to you Provoker (pours malt liquor on the pavement).

Edgar: You were really more like an amped up version of who you are online. I don't think you have a problem fitting in with extraverts and enjoying the more extraverted way of things.
    I get the impression that to a lot of people who haven't me in person, an "amped up" version of me would be on a par with some who climbs on dining tables and shits on a sidewalk.

Some people at the meetup I went to gave fuller personas of themselves. Online, I think people see less of a need to share personal intel on themselves.

A few were much more drab in character than their online personas let on.

I think how people present themselves largely depends on what they seek in an interaction and what they have to offer, and forum meetups usually don't provide an overwhelming incentive to be very close and personal. Usually. Furthermore, people tend to have less to offer off the forum than on, because the forum depends so heavily on itself and the rest of the net. Depending on who you are, attending a meetup may not be a far cry from starting from scratch with people you previously talked to on the forum.

I'm not judging people in a vacuum.
    I admit to have shifted my readings of people's posts after meeting them online. Whether it's because meeting them in person gave me a better context to interpret their posts, or whether certain prejudices kicked in after meeting them in person (whether to their detriment or benefit), I cannot say for sure.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Didn't read through all the posts, probably saying what others said but I wan't to chime in anyway. I definately seem to idealize people on the net vs real life interaction. I think theres a few reasons for this.

1) I'm an idealist (it's not that real life people aren't up to snuff, but that I tend to trump it up a bit. My intuition takes what people say figuratively and then I go on to connect it to all kinds of symbolic concepts and it seems larger or greater than it actually was or intended to be.

2) Online personas can be a bit one-dimensional, a breeding ground for people to show what they want and hide what they want. Ofcourse most people are going to offer up their best qualities and strongest points.. and you may not realize that this profoundly insightful, intellectual god your responding to is really some pimple faced kid that hasn't gotten past dry-humping or left their parents basement in a while. By the same token, I've agreed to meet a few people locally that did not air too much online or seem all that special, and they turned out to be some of the most fascinating people I've come across. They are just out in the world doing shit instead of sitting at home on a forum thinking about it.. (like I am right now) heh.

3) While writing about ones thoughts and feelings can share alot of information, I still don't think it holds a candle to what you can pick up IRL interaction. The way someone chooses to dress, the way they speak, how they take care of themselves, their tone, how they socially engage or respond, what external factors draw their attention and endless others say ALOT. Atleast I think so.

4) I haven't met anyone from this forum but based on the type-me clips, I am usually more suprised than not. Not good or bad, just different (and usually a bit younger or less direct than I imagined).

But fair is fair, sometime soon I'll put up a type-me video and you can all tell me how different I seem IRL.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

It depends on the person, and the personality type.
    e.g. some introverts can act as extraverts on the internet, but be shy irl.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

I didn't really get to know the people I met IRL on here before I met them, but they all seemed fairly introverted, which was in keeping with their types (except Qr:eus). Now that I'm more aware of them on the forum I can definitely see what I saw in person posting here now.

Thealchemist comes across as perhaps a little more extroverted on here, which makes sense, since it's a fairly harmless environment and a good place to cut loose regardless of introversion/extroversion.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'd have to say most people are pretty on target. I'd like to be more detailed, but I honestly have the memory of a goldfish.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'd have to say most people are pretty on target. I'd like to be more detailed, but I honestly have the memory of a goldfish.
    I guess that means you don't remember that time I spiked your drink and raped you while you were semi conscious.
    That's good - means we can start anew.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP

People are much less likely to so eagerly display the massive chip on their shoulder in person, making communication a lot more fluid and pleasant.

garbage

I met a group of folks I'd only known through the Internet for around 10 years. Meeting them didn't particularly change my impression of them, though it did help flesh their characters out a bit in my mind.

We 'got' each other before we met, and we continued to 'get' one another afterward. We've now met up a couple of times and still continue to talk nearly daily with one another.