User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your 'Life Position'?

Default What's your 'Life Position'?

I'm taking an online class and paraphrasing, it said these are the 4 attitudes that define behavior or at least provide a context for understanding behavior:

1) People believe in their own capabilities and the capabilities of others.
    2) People believe in their own capabilities, but doubt others’.
    3) People believe in others’ capabilities, but doubt their own.
    4) People doubt their own capabilities and the capabilities of others.
    I thought that was interesting and useful. I was already familiar with the 'locus of control' whereby you decide how much life happens to you and how much you happen to it but this one is new.

Does thinking about these 'life positions' shed any light on people's behavior? I think it's a very useful tool.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

5w4 sx

I think im capable on some situations and not so capable on others, what comes to other people, they kinda are the same way. But i do know that if i put my mind to something i easily get more capable in that area than the majority, but i dont think its because im something special, its just that i tend to focus in perfecting my skills in that more profoundly than majority. Naturally this doesent apply to all things, i need to have a special interest on the subject, or else, well i wont even start wasting my time on it. But i do like to learn basics on very wide range of subjects and i might find something interesting for a moment and dig really deep for a short period of time. But the things that i do have a special interest are the ones that i feel capable on.

Dunno what type this puts me in..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

6 sx
    iNfp Ni

On the surface I come across as a 2, but beneath it I am a 1 at heart.

I have a tendency to doubt others in group work, but it's not because I think others are not *capeable* of producing at the level I hope for, its that I often find they don't care enough to do so.

Working with highly interested people of different skills than myself is a wet dream. Potento-orgasmo.

I do however, genuinely believe that people can do what ever they want.. given the right angle, direction and with enough effort.

Yes, I think I'm a 1.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

I'd say i flip between 1 and 3.

I am aware i have an exceedingly high expectation of myself thus i'm doomed to failure (as previous experiences have proved correctly thus becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and the cycle continued until recently). I know this stems from having children so young and being judged for it. I've always felt i need to work harder to be accepted as an equal.

In others, it's easy to see their potential and assist where possible. I just utilise their strengths.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

I'm just going to complicate things

I would say that category one typifies me but that while I believe in my own and others capabilities that I doubt peoples will to use their capabilities as they should.

5w6 sp/sx

For the most part I see potential everywhere, but willingness to develop it is rare.
    I'd say 1.

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

By nature, a #3.
    By experience, a #4.
    By choice, a #1.

... but the more I choose #1, the more I experience #1.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

173 so/sx

Because of where I am in my life right now (i.e. a year from being done with college, and dipping my toe in the water of Living Like A Real Adult), I'm generally #3, when it comes to "Me vs. Most Of The World". But when it comes to daily things, not philosophy or underlying insecurities, I operate under the assumption of #1, unless I prove myself to be incapable (#3), or someone else does (#2). I essentially never feel #4.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

9w8 sx/sp
    SEE Fi

Probably number 2.
    () 9w8-3w2-7w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

Senior Member Array

The more I strive for 1 the more 2 makes sense.