123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default What is the most important social issue to be addressed WORLDWIDE

Hey there guys!

I have to head back to the office in a few minutes. Meanwhile here's something for your minds to chew until it loses all taste. Like gum.
    The question was asked by @gmanyo a few minutes ago and I found it merited an open forum discussion.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Anti-social behaviour.

Overpopulation, Islam/Western conflicts, the (coming) overt tension caused by strain on resources.

Obviously the only solution for these three problems is genocide, nuclear war and mass sterilization.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Overpopulation, Islam/Western conflicts, the (coming) overt tension caused by strain on resources.
    Actually research shows that the idea that wars are waged mostly over resources isn't reflected by the data

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Obviously the only solution for these three problems is genocide, nuclear war and mass sterilization.
    Actually working on the concept of communication to reach a state where other 'people' would be emotionally considered as part of the in group could be more productive. It would limit prisoner's dilemma like issues (i'll have 10 kids and get money for it because if i dont do it the next guy will, i'll fish there because if i dont someone else will do it even though i know it'll kill the fish and so my job within 20 years etc).

It's a key feature in the human way of bonding and it could be leveraged to do many things. For example if the feeling of closeness is continuous and starts in early childhood it starts the whole 'incest disgust' thing. That could actually be deviously used to trigger diminutions in fertility rates in some countries. Also this would push people to seek mates in other regions\countries reducing the idea of a 'us and them' and therefore short circuiting one of the main features that make war possible.

We already have developped the basic tools for this: mass media and more importantly worldwide instantaneous feedback and communication.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Equal rights applied to every person within a country, I would say. Is that too broad?
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Actually research shows that the idea that wars are waged mostly over resources isn't reflected by the data
    I wasn't referring to wars, although that doesn't seem unlikely in the future. China and India are still growing, give it time.

Actually working on the concept of communication to reach a state where other 'people' would be emotionally considered as part of the in group could be more productive. It would limit prisoner's dilemma like issues (i'll have 10 kids and get money for it because if i dont do it the next guy will, i'll fish there because if i dont someone else will do it even though i know it'll kill the fish and so my job within 20 years etc).

It's a key feature in the human way of bonding and it could be leveraged to do many things. For example if the feeling of closeness is continuous and starts in early childhood it starts the whole 'incest disgust' thing. That could actually be deviously used to trigger diminutions in fertility rates in some countries. Also this would push people to seek mates in other regions\countries reducing the idea of a 'us and them' and therefore short circuiting one of the main features that make war possible.

We already have developped the basic tools for this: mass media and more importantly worldwide instantaneous feedback and communication.
    Mass media, instantaneous feedback/communication all depend on energy. Without the energy we convert from oil, natural gas, coal, the population will eventually decline drastically. Not necessarily in our lifetime, but actions by China, specifically, have paved the way for energy reallocation, which is something that could easily tip the scales(see China+Afghanistan, China+Canada). It will be from a combination of factors: war, famine, disease, etc, etc. Modern agriculture depends on energy, medicine depends on energy. These are things that were developed following the industrial revolution, which eventually shifted entirely to fossil fuels for energy. I doubt steam power will make a huge comeback, but that would be a simple solution in the few parts of the earth with abundant water resources(the Americas, coastal areas, etc).

There is some hope that people will begin using alternative resources here on earth, but so far the infrastructure to completely move to non-fossil fuel energy is severely lacking. I also support research and development into technologies that would allow us to colonize and mine the moon. I'd like to see less money spent on defense budgets and military technology, and more on possible solutions to the problems that are caused by overpopulation.*

I'm not saying that the technology won't eventually catch up to the demands of the global population, but I think it's very easy to see how the transition period would be tumultuous since people become more like savages in desperate situations. The risk of rioting, coups, etc, etc is apparent. It's too easy to point to current events for evidence of this phenomenon, so I won't bother linking a ton of articles about it.

*there are other ways of looking at it, but the "overpopulation as a cause" perspective I'm going off of at this point in space-time.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

@LEGERdeMAIN
    That's why I'll never say this enough: if we want to keep a growth based economical and social system we HAVE to start getting resources from the asteroid belt asap!

busy now. 'll read the rest of your post later

... In theory.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There are others, but I will go with population overgrowth. Close seconds are extremist muslims and theocracies, but these aren't a big concern for Brazil.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    There are others, but I will go with population overgrowth. Close second are extremist muslims and theocracies, but these aren't a big concern for Brazil.
    Neither is population overgrowth....you guys have a lot of good land, and I think your fertility rates might be sub-replacement now. If anything, Brazil will begin to have the opposite problem in about 20 years.

The Sahel and the Indian sub-continent are likely in for some difficult times, however.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Neither is population overgrowth....you guys have a lot of good land, and I think your fertility rates might be sub-replacement now. If anything, Brazil will begin to have the opposite problem in about 20 years.
    You have 2 great points, but the thing is international food prices directly affect us. Once foreign prices get attractive, producers are gonna sell to whoever pay more. Also, I think a lot of agricultural inputs are imported. Government could interfere, but we would end up affected sooner or later. Mass starvation is unlikely, but we could end up having to limit meat consumption (and I don't like veggies or fruits :P). Anyways, I agree that the problem isn't that big for us.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------