User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 76

  1. #61
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I frequently wear slippers as well. I suffer from chronic cold feet.
    Im quite certain that you suffer from chronic cold feet because you wear slippers all the time. When i was in civilian service, i had to use slippers most the time because of multiple reasons and after getting used to them, my feet felt cold without them, even if it was warm..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  2. #62
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Im quite certain that you suffer from chronic cold feet because you wear slippers all the time
    That's a pretty silly conclusion. It might be that there is a psychological effect as you say, but that doesn't preclude the existence of other causes of cold feet....I never wear slippers because I hate them, and my feet are often very cold/numb.
    -end of thread-

  3. #63
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    I wear a pair of these:


  4. #64
    FigerPuppet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I wear a pair of these:

    You're Deutsch, not Dutch.

  5. #65
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    You're Deutsch, not Dutch.
    I have Dutch ancestry.

  6. #66
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That's a pretty silly conclusion. It might be that there is a psychological effect as you say, but that doesn't preclude the existence of other causes of cold feet....I never wear slippers because I hate them, and my feet are often very cold/numb.
    Its physiological, not psychological and its not a silly conclusion, this sort of stuff happens. Try wearing a warm glove all day for some time and only take it out at nights and youll see the same thing happening with your hand. Like it or not, its how human body functions..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  7. #67
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I never realized that it was usual in the States to wear your shoes inside. I think here you would expect to take your shoes off unless the house owner said it was fine to leave them on. I don't feel terribly strongly. I would probably wear my shoes in the kitchen or linoleum covered areas, but not on the carpet at home.
    I grew up in southern central PA, went to college in Eastern PA, and have lived in central PA... and there was never any rule about taking your shoes off when you went inside. Never... not unless your shoes were caked in mud or sopping wet, and then it was just common sense. But if it was just daily normal wear, it just wasn't a rule, SO much to the point that where someone did request to take off my shoes, I thought they were kind of OCD.

    I still don't take my shoes off until I get inside, usually -- like, walk into the kitchen, then take off my shoes in the kitchen or the living room. (Unless I know my shoes are dirty.) I just like walking in socked/bare feet when possible, so I do take them off within a minute after entering.

    it was interesting when I went to Thailand, because you were expected to take off your shoes, and when 21% came to my hotel room, she asked me where she should put her shoes. I think some of the Asian culture surrounding this is that people in the past often sat on the floor to eat their food, so you don't want to be tracking stuff around on the floor for people to either sit in or else get in their food. the Jim Thompson house was interesting because it was in Thailand and had Thai aspects to the architecture, but he also added Western influences, including an actual normal-height table to eat from.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #68
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Its physiological, not psychological and its not a silly conclusion, this sort of stuff happens. Try wearing a warm glove all day for some time and only take it out at nights and youll see the same thing happening with your hand. Like it or not, its how human body functions..
    Thanks for the tangent, but you completely missed my point, which was not that what you describe doesn't happen, but rather that there are other causes for cold extremities besides wearing too much warm clothing....
    -end of thread-

  9. #69

    Default

    It took me living in China for a year to really understand the merits of leaving your shoes at the door. It's such an ingrained part of their culture that "the floor is a very, very dirty place and that should be respected." And they're right. Floors (in general) are very dirty. Especially floors that you have no control over cleaning.

    So it's a combination of that and the fact that I'm lazy that I take my shoes off always before getting into my apartment and I require the same of my guests.

  10. #70
    curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    197

    Default

    i and about everyone i knew wear special slippers indoors. most apartments here have no underfloor heating, unless one is wealthy enough to afford it, so walking around barefoot or wearing only socks is not a good idea, especially if there is no carpet cover or if there are issues with the central heating and the general temperature inside tends to be low during the cold season. there can be complications, not to mention that it is uncomfortable when one's feet are cold all the time.

    that said, wearing shoes indoors is not that unusual. i mean, it is untidy in the sense that one would bring in sand or dirt from the street and there would be extra cleaning to do, and some people might see it as rude, but it is not specifically shocking. when i taught english privately, most students sat through the lessons with theirs still on.
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

    "there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

    "if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

    "god is in the details" (c) proverb

Similar Threads

  1. Wearing shoes inside
    By Habba in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
  2. New guy in the house
    By Tenraiel in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
  3. Did Mice Domesticate the House Cat?
    By Oberon in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 08:47 AM
  4. When the house was standing...
    By Makaub in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 07:11 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Drowning inside the mythical mind of an INTP
    By Pseudonym_Alpha in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO