User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    No one I'm acquainted with thinks anything of wearing shoes in the house. I can recall the two or three times in my life I've been asked to remove my shoes simply because it's so unusual. I thought that's what doormats were for.
    That's my experience as well. I guess it's a cultural thing...

Then again, I haven't been to many people's homes in quite some time.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

FigerPuppet

Doormats are there so you don't make a mess of the foyer, which is where footwear is taken off and stored.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Doormats are there so you don't make a mess of the foyer, which is where footwear is taken off and stored.
    maybe this is a bougie people thing. I keep thinking of that episode of sex and the city where the hostess makes everyone take their shoes off at the door and they get stolen.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i almost never wear shoes inside my house, just because i like being barefoot. but i hate going over to other people's houses where they make you take your shoes off before you come inside.
    Yep, exactly. I like being barefoot in my own house, but I HATE being asked to take my shoes off at someone else's. I always feel like it's poor hospitality. Like their carpet is more important than the comfort of their guests. I was raised to put the guest's comfort first. I'd ask a guest not to smoke in my house, but otherwise, I'm more interested in their comfort. If they track a little dirt in, big deal. It won't kill me to vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    No one I'm acquainted with thinks anything of wearing shoes in the house. I can recall the two or three times in my life I've been asked to remove my shoes simply because it's so unusual. I thought that's what doormats were for.
    Yeah, it's just not a custom in most of the US. It's not like we lie around on the carpet, or eat off of the floors. Floors are freaking FOR FEET. Your bare feet are grosser to me than your shod feet. I don't want to look at a room full of bare feet or sock feet. Plus, it's kind of undignified. I can't imagine having a serious conversation at a dinner party where everyone is dressed up but in their sock feet.

Most of the folks I know that ask guests to take their shoes off around here are those whose houses are no fun to visit, anyway.
    Something Witty

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I can't imagine having a serious conversation at a dinner party where everyone is dressed up but in their sock feet.
    Dress shoes and heels can be kept on, as people don't walk through mud, fields of grass and other things in those, thus making them cleaner than the average shoe.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I ask first when entering another person's home, but maybe that's because I grew up in a bad weathered country. You don't want to trek mud and wet through another person's house. I've never had to in Australia. In fact most people look at me weird.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    STP

In hawaii its rude not to take your shoes off. At home(Texas), I take them off because I am more comfortable, I usually walk around in them until I finally sit down and thats where they come off.

Yeah, it's just not a custom in most of the US. It's not like we lie around on the carpet, or eat off of the floors. Floors are freaking FOR FEET. Your bare feet are grosser to me than your shod feet. I don't want to look at a room full of bare feet or sock feet. Plus, it's kind of undignified. I can't imagine having a serious conversation at a dinner party where everyone is dressed up but in their sock feet.

Most of the folks I know that ask guests to take their shoes off around here are those whose houses are no fun to visit, anyway.
    I frequently lay down on the carpet Its comfortable. When I was married and I finished dinner apparently I was supposed to stay at the table until everyone was done...screw that, I got up, plopped myself down on the carpet(laying down) right out side of the kitchen (maybe 2 feet from the table)and still talked and interacted with those at the table.

edit: and "sock feet" sounds wierd. I normally just say in there socks
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Inside you wear socks or nothing on your feet. If you feel that you need to wear slippers it's only acceptable if it's because the floor is too cold, in which case you need to save up for underfloor heating. Wearing SHOES inside is disgusting and typical of unsophisticated Americans.
    Considering that we have branches and wood inside our house, a Pitbull, and an Australian Shepherd, I probably get to qualify as one of your unsophisticated Americans. We chop up trees with power tools which have to be oiled, light propane camp heaters inside the kitchen to take out to the pump house so the water doesn't freeze every night, walk a mile down a mountain road when it snows, get our boots covered in mud and other forest anomalies, and live within feet of a coyote den. Two of my husband's friends were afraid to drive out here on their motorcycles, so yeah, the issue of shoes in the house is rather prissy, pansy stuff around here.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Considering that we have branches and wood inside our house, a Pitbull, and an Australian Shepherd, I probably get to qualify as one of your unsophisticated Americans. We chop up trees with power tools which have to be oiled, light propane camp heaters inside the kitchen to take out to the pump house so the water doesn't freeze every night, walk a mile down a mountain road when it snows, get our boots covered in mud and other forest anomalies, and live within feet of a coyote den. Two of my husband's friends were afraid to drive out here on their motorcycles, so yeah, the issue of shoes in the house is rather prissy, pansy stuff around here.
    Uncivilized scum.

violaine

So true.

I take my own shoes off and have house slippers but I really don't care what anyone else does in my house. (It's not like I get a ton of visitors). I have rugs down that I clean regularly for just this purpose. I actually think it's inhospitable to insist someone take their shoes off. What if they have athlete's foot or fungal nail infections? If you plan to do that, at least provide individualized slippers which no one else has ever worn before. Or one of those special taps in a bathroom so that people can wash off their schweaty feet. Etc. Yeah, it can get a bit ridiculous.
    Last edited by violaine; 02-11-2012 at 10:40 AM.