User Tag List

First 23456 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I hate shoes and socks. And yes, it is quite common in much of the US to wear shoes inside the house. People thought I was nuts for wanting to take my shoes off at the door and leave them there. They even thought I was more nuts to want them to take off their shoes too.

It was a relief to move out here to the PNW and not to have to ask people to take off their shoes. They see them lined up by the door and just automatically remove them. One repair guy put on some disposable booties since he couldn't take off his work boots. I was about to kiss him for that but I stopped myself just in time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    And yes, it is quite common in much of the US to wear shoes inside the house. People thought I was nuts for wanting to take my shoes off at the door and leave them there. They even thought I was more nuts to want them to take off their shoes too.
    Is it really that common? I mean, I almost never have my shoes on inside the house. The only exception being the times I forget something on my way out, and run in real fast to grab it...

It seems kind of weird to keep your shoes on, not to mention it's more comfortable to have them off.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    One repair guy put on some disposable booties since he couldn't take off his work boots. I was about to kiss him for that but I stopped myself just in time.
    That's amazing. We just had all our windows replaced and the window guys tracked salted snow inside all over our entrance/main floor and up 2 flights of stairs....hurray.

Wait, people who live in climates with winter do take off their shoes/boots even if they don't the rest of the year, right? right? people don't track snow all over their floors all winter, right? what about when it rains and you're all muddy?

I don't get this indoor shoes thing at all.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I never had anyone ask me to remove my shoes inside their house until I was in my 30s. It's a very rare custom in the States, whether east coast, west coast, north or south.

Now, if it's really rainy/muddy outside, one might leave one's shoes/boots by the door (after a good scraping) and go around in sock feet. Or one might wear galoshes to protect one's shoes, removing them indoors.

And sometimes it doesn't even help if everyone is barefoot: at my grandmother's beach house, well, there's a beach, and there's sand, and people are walking on the beach barefoot. It's impossible to get all the sand off, and some always finds its way indoors.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

For the people who live in places where shoes are commonly taken off before going inside...is this the custom just in people's homes, or are there other places where you would take them off too?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    For the people who live in places where shoes are commonly taken off before going inside...is this the custom just in people's homes, or are there other places where you would take them off too?
    Homes are the only place I can think of, although in the winter many dentist/doctor/etc clinics will ask you to leave your boots at the door so you don't track snow around. And actually some doctors make you take your shoes off or put on booties (year-round), which is a little strange to me but I'm sure they have a reason. Can't think of anywhere else where you would.

In most homes you have a much cleaner floor than most public places, so it seems weird/pointless to track dirt in (and rude, if someone has to clean up your dirt later). And socks are way more comfortable! I always feel weird when someone insists on me keeping my shoes on out of "politeness".
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I mentioned earlier that I take my shoes off in the house in Midwestern US, and a large amount of people do not. But a significant amount of tidy homeowners do. There's just no social convention to deal with it here. It's as equally rude to take ones shoes off or leave them on depending on the household. I've thought about this before because this sort situation disproportionaly annoys me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't wear shoes in the house, neither does any of the family. I have slippers for when it's cold but they don't get worn outside. I have slip on sandal type shoes for when I go in and out or to the garage or something. We also don't have carpet in any rooms except the bedrooms, all hardwood floors which are much easier to clean. I never ask guests to remove their shoes. I just think that causes an uncomfortable situation. If they want to take them off it's fine though.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    No, I'm Danish. Besides, what do you have against Polaks? I can see Peguy in the corner with his crazy-face on.
    STOP CHANGING THE SUBJECT YOU SLIPPER IMPERIALIST!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That's amazing. We just had all our windows replaced and the window guys tracked salted snow inside all over our entrance/main floor and up 2 flights of stairs....hurray.

Wait, people who live in climates with winter do take off their shoes/boots even if they don't the rest of the year, right? right? people don't track snow all over their floors all winter, right? what about when it rains and you're all muddy?

I don't get this indoor shoes thing at all.
    That's why they have mud rooms. Also you can ask workers to put on paper booties to cover their shoes to prevent that issue. Cable providers and furniture delivery people usually have them.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari