User Tag List

First 123 Last

I enjoy talking about how people work. That whole mysterious underbelly of what it is to be human. Emotions and so forth.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've always been curious about people. I ended up on a related site because I was a bit lonely and was trying to learn about certain types of people, and then after events not worth restating, I ended up here around the time the site was created. I was gone for a while, but came back because I've already done the work of getting familiar with posters and I don't have the social energy to start that again someplace else. I'm not much of a believer in typology, but have low social energy and have already put a lot of it into this site and some of the people here. I'm trying to be more social here and irl.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I come here because it is an opportunity to exercise free speech.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Secondly, if we can isolate what type of people we are it should be possible to figure out what function (traditionally speaking) our types have filled within society throughout the ages. What would your best guess be as to what that function is?
    I came here two years ago because of an interest in MBTI. I'd learned about it a number of years ago and use it to attempt to understand people better as well as myself.

I think reasons why I stay are 1) It's a hobby and something I'm interested in 2) Intellectual challenge of the dynamics related to understanding people - Enneagram was one discovery here and 3) Being part of the community. I'm on Facebook and it's nice for sharing pictures but the dialogue is pretty inane. Youtube is mostly passive.

With respect to the role in society, I'm not sure there is some compelling similarity between people on the forum. Maybe it's a group of members who are interested in people and the dynamics between them, who are intellectually curious and interesting in somewhat leading edge thinking with respect to understanding people's thought processes and motivations and how they may be different than theirs. Most of us are looking to learn or further our thinking. As far as what role the members will have in society - I think it's pretty varied. There is some focus on the theory, understanding it and educating each other and how it can be applied practically but we don't seem to be totally there. That is, many of us know the theory but there is a gap between that and how it can be applied on a daily basis. So like for Enneagram, I believe there is some really useful stuff related to personal growth and understanding people's motivations. Some of us understand pieces of it better than others but we haven't fully captured how to use it for personal growth and communicated that among each other yet.
    Last edited by highlander; 02-07-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: clarified

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

We're the armchair psychologists, of course

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I enjoy talking about how people work. That whole mysterious underbelly of what it is to be human. Emotions and so forth.
    Same here.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I tend to think of those other sites as full of dickheads and trolls and TypoC being a decent forum for prople interested in typology and psychology.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

interesting people, interesting ideas thrown around, a nice sounding board for different ideas and such.... I have no reason to leave

I joined over 4 years ago and was at an interesting spot in life and have just fallen into the site
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INtP

I think I originally came here via INTPc, which I stumbled upon with a random Google-search unrelated to typology. I'd known about Myers-Briggs/Keirsey for quite a while, recognized the "INTP" site, and spent some time poking around INTPc. My first exposure to INTPc wasn't long after MBTIc split off due to what was apparently a political mess (glad I missed it :p), and I started reading both sites. For one reason or another I spent more time here. I started as an almost pure lurker (and probably would have stayed that way and drifted off in time), but actually got called out for lurking in a certain thread that I found entertaining ("Hey, someone named kelric is reading -- jump in kelric!"), and started posting a bit. Four+ years later I still read *far* more than I post, but hey, I'm still here.

Mostly these days I stay because I like the people, and am interested in random conversation with people who are (with notable and rare exceptions) pretty reasonable, insightful, and fun. I've got a lot in common with some folks here, very little in common with others, but we all play together pretty well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Feelers, as they like learning and talking about people and intertype relations. Thinkers, as it serves as a useful tool/paradigm to help understand others, and better perception drives better (re)action.

I think there are more intuitives that sensors, as this is largely academic, and a bit apart from the mainstream.

I'm here because of my interesting in personality typing. Actually, my interest is waning, but I still hang around. It all started in 2003 when a teacher intern had me take a test. I lied the first time and got ISTJ, but then I went back and did it properly and got INTP. I then found the Paul James description of INTP (intp.org), and was completely floored. Started googling the type, and intpcentral led to this place.

Good stuff.

We are here for entirely unconscious reasons. We don't know why we are here. We are unable to perceive why we are here.

And as we perceive by making distinctions, we are too distinction poor to know why we are here, or what we are doing.

Of course we hide the pain of not knowing by rationalising why we are here. And we elaborate our rationalisations. And we argue about our rationalisations. And we think we are rational. Please!

And yet all the time, unbeknownst to us, this site is changing us in ways we don't know or understand.