User Tag List

First 1151596061626371 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Someone I was in church youth group with as a teen posted a photo of her dead great nephew who died within a few minutes of birth on facebook. He was a pretty baby, but it still seems weird to me. Is it weird to do that?
    I dunno, post-mortem photography used to be very popular. I find it more gruesome than sentimental (though I do grasp its utility in the Victorian Era), but that's just me. Some old tradition, dying out, perhaps. I don't think many still do it, but it happens. Odd to just put it out there on a social networking site, though. I mean, that's kind of graphic to just.. show to whoever.

*edit* while it's still really weird to me to just have it out where anyone (like young people online) might see it- I suppose maybe it still makes sense to have a photo of a dead newborn/show it to people if they're close to you, to avoid any kind of complicated, disenfranchised grief later on. I imagine people outside the immediate family might sooner behave as though the pregnancy/death didn't occur, on some level, because they just don't have that tangible part; they didn't bond with the fetus as the parents did throughout the pregnancy term. Sometimes people do awkward things to deal with grief, or because they don't know how to approach another's. If that makes sense.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

eat cold pizza
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I dunno, post-mortem photography used to be very popular. I find it more gruesome than sentimental (though I do grasp its utility in the Victorian Era), but that's just me. Some old tradition, dying out, perhaps. I don't think many still do it, but it happens. Odd to just put it out there on a social networking site, though. I mean, that's kind of graphic to just.. show to whoever.
    I think it's less the photography, more of the context. I was aware of the history of post-mortem photos. One issue is that death used to be far more common, so I don't think the photos were socially as awkward, it was more just part of life. (In some of those cultures, people would raise animals that the kids play with, then kill and eat the animal for dinner and make clothes from its hide. That was just life. Death was part of it.) Nowadays, where death is far less common from mundane events, and where our culture is isolated even from other types of death (our kids actually think meat comes from ... what?), it comes off as kind of shocking. I think it's more the lack of awareness of social boundaries (and resulting violation) that feels weird about it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

*edit* while it's still really weird to me to just have it out where anyone (like young people online) might see it- I suppose maybe it still makes sense to have a photo of a dead newborn/show it to people if they're close to you, to avoid any kind of complicated, disenfranchised grief later on. I imagine people outside the immediate family might sooner behave as though the pregnancy/death didn't occur, on some level, because they just don't have that tangible part; they didn't bond with the fetus as the parents did throughout the pregnancy term. Sometimes people do awkward things to deal with grief, or because they don't know how to approach another's. If that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's less the photography, more of the context. I was aware of the history of post-mortem photos. One issue is that death used to be far more common, so I don't think the photos were socially as awkward, it was more just part of life. (In some of those cultures, people would raise animals that the kids play with, then kill and eat the animal for dinner and make clothes from its hide. That was just life. Death was part of it.) Nowadays, where death is far less common from mundane events, and where our culture is isolated even from other types of death (our kids actually think meat comes from ... what?), it comes off as kind of shocking. I think it's more the lack of awareness of social boundaries (and resulting violation) that feels weird about it.
    Yeah, I think it's not the pictures that makes it weird for me. I could see having an album of them and having them at the funeral, assuming there is one, and maybe even having it on the wall at home with the other pictures of family. I could even see emailing or pming them to family members, but just putting them on facebook for near strangers to see weirds me out.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Naked, screaming Ohio man, 41, tears off own penis after taking hallucinogenic mushrooms

Police say an Ohio man ripped off his own penis after taking magic mushrooms. The unnamed 41-year-old was found naked, covered in blood and screaming outside Ypsilanti Middle School, in Ypsilanti Township, Mich., at 1 a.m. last Tuesday morning.
    Does this mean he's guilty of littering in addition to indecent exposure?
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

People should really watch what they are drawing. I don't think this is what she intended.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/24/news...raffic_report/

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is less crazy, and more just.. stupid.

Apparently a couple idiots tried to pass off some ice chunks for iPads. . .

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ss-ice-2158969

I guess such a thing as, 'too many cartoons,' does exist, for some.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

garbage

Happy Halloween!

You're still legally dead, judge tells Fostoria man
    Donald Eugene Miller Jr. walked out of Hancock County Probate Court on Monday as legally dead as ever.

In 1994, the court ruled that Miller was legally dead, eight years after he disappeared from his Arcadia rental home.

The same judge, Allan Davis, ruled Monday that Miller is still dead, in the eyes of the law. Miller's request for a reversal came well after the three-year legal limit for changing a death ruling, Davis said.
    Less "Crazy shit people do" and more "Crazy," but

garbage

Man blew up fireworks in Walmart, police say

A Gainesville man was arrested after police say he lit and threw fireworks inside a Walmart store Wednesday night.

Gainesville Police say Darnell James Haley, 24, of 1046 SE 41st Drive, walked into the Walmart on Archer Road at 10:56 p.m. with fireworks. While inside, Haley used a cigarette lighter to light the fireworks, the police report said.

After Haley lit the fireworks, he dropped them on the floor in the electronics department where they caused damage by leaving several burn marks on the tile floor, the report said.

After his arrest, Haley told police he lit the fireworks in the store, but he didn’t do it on purpose. A witness said he saw smoke coming from the area the fireworks were set off and saw Haley walking away from it, the report said.

No other people were in the area when the fireworks were thrown.

Police said Haley threw the fireworks because he was under the influence of synthetic marijuana, according to GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias.

Haley was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief, according to the report. He was being held as of Thursday at the Alachua County jail on $2,000 bond.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink:
  • :wink:
  • ;)