First 242505152535462 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/te...artz-1B7956773

The U.S. Attorney's office has quietly dismissed charges against Internet freedom activist Aaron Swartz, who reportedly took his own life Friday.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz told Boston.com that paperwork was filed Monday dropping the charges, and that Ortiz does not want to discuss the case, being dismissed because of Swartz's death....
    Too fucking little, too fucking late.

That's what happens when you basically pull out the stops and theaten a 20-something with 35+ years in the slammer, after most of the charges were shown to be exaggerated (no sense of scale of punishment that was comparable to the actual circumstances of what Swartz did), JSTOR and Swartz having resolved their issues back in June 2011, and JSTOR had asked the prosecutors to drop/scale back the charges and the prosecutors had insisted on labeling Swartz a felon and jail time, to make an example of him.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...his-death?lite
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-garbage.shtml
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Yeah. The prosecutors' actions were unconscionable.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

garbage

Christ.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I guess putting the guy's corpse in the slammer seemed too Pythonesque.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Yeah. The prosecutors' actions were unconscionable.
    Yeah, it was pretty awful.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Actually, the following is crazy sh*t I wish I had thought of doing myself:

The Story of a Man Who Outsourced His Work to China so He Could Watch Cat Videos All Day

The study documents the scam of a developer, who is referred to as Bob. He worked at a "critical infrastructure" company in the U.S. and started outsourcing his work to China underneath his company's nose, and would only pay those people less than one fifth of his six-figure salary.

Here's how it was possible.

Bob's company had started letting employees work remotely from home on certain days, so it set up a VPN concentrator to facilitate that. The company implemented two-factor authentication for the connection, with the second factor being a physical, rotating token RSA key fob. So all Bob had to do was send the key over to China via FedEx.

The company eventually noticed strange activity in its VPN logs...The logs showed that Bob was logged in from Shenyang, China, even though he was sitting at his desk. ...

...A look at his browsing history revealed what his typical work day consisted of:
    9:00 a.m. – Arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours. Watch cat videos.
    11:30 a.m. – Take lunch.
    1:00 p.m. – Ebay time.
    2:00ish p.m. – Facebook updates – LinkedIn.
    4:30 p.m. – End of day update e-mail to management.
    5:00 p.m. – Go home.
    So while workers in China were doing Bob's job for him, Bob was sitting back, relaxing, watching cat videos, and earning "several hundred thousand dollars" a year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/story-...135701981.html

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

Smart man using resources in a smart way.

Also, here's a rarity: a funny and somewhat insightful news article comment.
    man thats a great idea, he just did what most large corporations are already doing

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Encylcopedia Brown's "Case of the Gorgeous Girlfriend Who Was Really a Ghost Before S

...She Was Gone.

The guy has a girlfriend he's never met, who he's in love with, who dies of cancer in September, bringing him notoriety on the field... but now she never really existed, but she's still alive, and he's the victim of a hoax, except he might have been in on it out of publicity?

Leapfrog from the story to various other stories to review the sordid, but creative, drama.

..."This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online," Te'o said. "We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her."

The story is beyond bizarre.

"I don't want to confuse this at all," Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Wednesday at a lengthy and open news conference in South Bend. "Manti Te'o is the victim of this scam."

The legend of Te'o's girlfriend captivated the sporting world after Notre Dame beat Michigan State. (AP)While the original Deadspin story framed Te'o as a participant in the scam – something to draw positive publicity to a Heisman Trophy campaign – Notre Dame and its investigators are adamant that isn't the case.

In the end, Te'o may have done nothing wrong beyond perpetuating a lie that was far worse for him than anyone he told. I can certainly envision a 22-year-old getting duped, yet also embellishing tales about his girlfriend – especially to a media eager to glorify it all. It seems more common than hatching this plan as a way to win the Heisman.

Swarbrick said the Notre Dame investigators have identified the perpetrators of the trick and said they did it out of enjoyment. The school was initially wary that this was an extortion attempt, or gamblers, or someone bent on drawing Te'o into an NCAA violation. Notre Dame now doesn't believe that.

"It was a cruel, cruel hoax," Swarbrick said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...052534925.html

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Don't they realize people will post the discrepancies? The pics here are hilarious. I've shown one sample set.

Why You Should Never Trust the Photos Hotels Post Online

Hotels aren't always completely honest when it comes to the photos they post on their websites.

Professional reviewers from hotel review website Oyster visited vacation properties from Barbados to Boston, and the photos they took didn't quite match up with the online fantasy.

This latest collection of "photo fakeouts" serves as a cautionary tale for anyone planning a vacation and relying solely on hotel websites. Some of these photo "upgrades" are so egregious, you'll think you are looking at pictures of two completely different properties.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The guy has a girlfriend he's never met, who he's in love with, who dies of cancer in September, bringing him notoriety on the field... but now she never really existed, but she's still alive, and he's the victim of a hoax, except he might have been in on it out of publicity?
    yo, dawg, i hoaxed your hoax

That much came to light Wednesday courtesy of a Deadspin.com report. Te'o claims he became aware in December, and then says he realized he was the subject of a hoax after Notre Dame hired private investigators and computer forensic experts to figure out exactly who, or whom, Lennay Kekua was and why she pretended to die – and later come back to life.
    Why the hell would a school do this? Shit, I wish my university had helped me investigate my previous relationships, too.