Senior Member Array captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are these two restrictions (in the US vs Russia) even connected?

It seems crazy to punish their own children just to spite another country.

It's not clear whether Putin will sign off on it.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/28/wo...anted=all&_r=0

He did.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Yeesh. Personalize much?

Glenn Beck says Al Gore refused to consider selling him Current TV before selling the channel to Al Jazeera, a network that Beck says "hates America."

Current TV announced Wednesday that it had been sold to Al Jazeera, the network financed by Qatar. It plans to shut down Current's lineup of liberal-skewing news and talk in favor of its own programming.

After the Wall Street Journal reported that Gore turned away interest from Beck last year, Beck took to the airwaves Thursday to offer his side of the story. He said his negotiators approached Current about buying the network in order to get Beck's network, Blaze TV, into the 60 million U.S. homes reached by Current.

Beck said his people were told that the former vice president would have to be consulted on the possibility. Beck's negotiators received a callback within 15 minutes, Beck said.

"Yeah, umm‑umm, no, not even interested," Beck paraphrased the Current representatives as telling his people. "We ‑ our legacy is too important and there would quite frankly be too many people, too many friends that the vice president would have to explain why he's selling to Glenn Beck."

Instead, Current opted to sell to Al Jazeera, which Beck characterized Thursday as "a Qatar government outlet that ran every terrorist video and hates America."

Al Jazeera has long struggled to reach American viewers, and has stressed its journalistic integrity and independence from Qatar. But that position has sometimes been undermined by allegations that the Qatari royal family has meddled in its coverage.

..."He didn't sell to the highest bidder. He looked for, who do I ideologically align with," Beck said of Gore. "The vice president of the United States of America tells you that he is more ideologically aligned with Al‑Jazeera than an American broadcaster who believes in America, just doesn't believe in what he does, believes that America is a good place, that America is ‑ has a bright future ahead of it if we just do the right thing, a guy who believes that global warming is nonsense."
    The last line was a kicker, for a "closer" argument.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/glenn-beck-...034711845.html
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

"America is great. I love America. God bless America! Also, global warming isn't true."

??

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Law won't protect unmarried victims in rape
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California appeals court overturned the rape conviction of a man who authorities say pretended to be a sleeping woman's boyfriend before initiating intercourse, ruling that an arcane law from 1872 doesn't protect unmarried women in such cases.

...[Morales] was accused of entering a woman's bedroom late one night after her boyfriend had gone home and initiating sexual intercourse while she was asleep, after a night of drinking.

The victim said her boyfriend was in the room when she fell asleep, and they'd decided against having sex that night because he didn't have a condom and he had to be somewhere early the next day.

Morales pretended to be her boyfriend in the darkened room, and it wasn't until a ray of light from outside the room flashed across his face that she realized he wasn't her boyfriend, according to prosecutors.

"Has the man committed rape? Because of historical anomalies in the law and the statutory definition of rape, the answer is no, even though, if the woman had been married and the man had impersonated her husband, the answer would be yes," Judge Thomas L. Willhite Jr. wrote in the court's decision...
    http://news.yahoo.com/judge-law-wont...012941200.html

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Well, you know, nothing much has changed since 1872. No reason to review and update those old laws is there?
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Well, you know, nothing much has changed since 1872. No reason to review and update those old laws is there?
    "Man. That's like, so, 1872!"

Think about that. Do we remember who was President in 1872? Ulysses Grant.

Lincoln hadn't even been in the grave eight years.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "Man. That's like, so, 1872!"

Think about that. Do we remember who was President in 1872? Ulysses Grant.

Lincoln hadn't even been in the grave eight years.
    On the other hand, now Lincoln's come back in movie form AND as a Zombie*. 2012 was so like 1872!

And a lot of people seem to want women's rights to go back to 1872, too! Oh, I'm sorry. Rights? Women are property, I forgot. S'okay to rape the unmarried ones, because you're not infringing on the rights of a husband. And if it's a legitimate rape, she won't have to worry about getting pregnant.

*ETA: Oops! My bad. Lincoln came back as a Vampire Hunter.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Member Array
    MBTI
    ESTP

Wow, I had to have a broken file removed from my mouth before, I got over it since sh*t happens, but a paper clip? That's when I would have to struggle to not call the dentist a cheapskate to not make a scene and go somewhere else, lol.

garbage

Dad hires hit men to kill son's video game characters
    A father is so fed up with his son's video game obsession that he decides to take radical action.

Some fathers are overbearing.

Some, however, decide that enforcing parental law requires radical action. Such as hiring an assassin.

It does seem extreme. But a certain Mr. Feng of China might offer mitigating circumstances.

His son was allegedly being terribly disobedient and the assassins were hired merely to murder Feng Jr.'s video game character.

As Kotaku retells it, Feng Jr. was not doing well at school. He also failed to find employment.

However, he reportedly considered himself a video game king.

If you're going to topple a king, you have to chop off his head. So Feng Sr. hired several gamers who were game to kill the king. Virtually, of course.
    Not crazy in the "fuckin' stupid" sense; more crazy in the "fuckin' awesome" sense.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Not crazy in the "fuckin' stupid" sense; more crazy in the "fuckin' awesome" sense.
    As long as the kid wasn't playing in Nightmare mode. (one death, game over!)

Otherwise that's pretty funny.

Page 51 of 88 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast