First 40484950515260 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Sometimes, the world will leave you feeling like Farnsworth.

Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

To add to the crazy, the Westboro Baptist Church has been threatening to protest at the childrens' funerals. Hopefully, they are just looking for attention and not actually going to show up. Several groups have mobilized to try to stop them if they do show up. It's obscene how so many are using this to advance their agendas.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Socionics
    INTj None

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    To add to the crazy, the Westboro Baptist Church has been threatening to protest at the childrens' funerals. Hopefully, they are just looking for attention and not actually going to show up. Several groups have mobilized to try to stop them if they do show up. It's obscene how so many are using this to advance their agendas.
    So I've heard. *points to his post above*
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Sometimes, the world will leave you feeling like Farnsworth.

I do want to live on this planet. Some times I wish everyone else would leave, though...

But then I change my mind. I will not die an unlived life.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I'd heard that too.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if someone retaliated against them at some point, especially if they do this. You can only go so far, and then someone is going to snap.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Whiny Pageant Contestant Busted!

NEW YORK (AP) -- A beauty queen who claimed this year's Miss USA contest was fixed has been ordered to pay the pageant organization $5 million for defamation.

In a decision signed last week, an arbitrator found that the comments from Miss Pennsylvania USA Sheena Monnin were false, harmful and malicious. Monnin had alleged that the five finalists had been selected in advance of the pageant's live telecast.

The arbitrator, Theodore Katz, said Monnin had two motives: "She was a disgruntled contestant who failed to make it past the preliminary competition" and she objected to the pageant's decision to allow transgender contestants. He wrote that the way the contest is judged "precludes any reasonable possibility that the judging was rigged."

Monnin, of Cranberry, Pa., resigned her state title after the pageant. Her allegations on Facebook and NBC's "Today" show cost the pageant a $5 million fee from a potential 2013 sponsor, Katz said.

Monnin's lawyer, Richard Klineburger III, had no comment on the decision, his office said.

Katz said Monnin agreed to arbitrate any disputes when she became a Miss USA contestant, but he wrote in his decision that she and her lawyer didn't participate in the process and claimed they were not required to do so.

http://news.yahoo.com/arbitrator-bea...141809467.html

One dumb turn deserves another, and she provided both, I suppose.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A bill to ban Americans from adopting Russian children won preliminary parliamentary approval on Wednesday in a retaliatory gesture for a U.S. law punishing alleged Russian human rights violators.

...The tit-for-tat feud began when the U.S. Congress approved the trade bill that orders the United States to deny visas to Russian human rights violators.

....Nationalist politicians have long viewed foreign adoptions of Russian children as an embarrassment that implies Russia cannot care for its own, but critics of the bill say children should not fall victim to political maneuvering.

Police said they detained 30 protesters for holding an unauthorized demonstration outside the Duma.

Some two dozen protesters stood in the freezing cold heckling deputies as they entered the building. One activist held up before-and-after pictures of a Russian child looking bruised, then happy with his new American parents.

"It deprives children of the possibility to grow up in families of loving parents," protester Natalya Tsymbalova said shortly before she was detained...

http://news.yahoo.com/ban-americans-...170241459.html
    Are these two restrictions (in the US vs Russia) even connected?

It seems crazy to punish their own children just to spite another country.

It's not clear whether Putin will sign off on it.

garbage

Argument Over Sandy Hook Shooting Ends in Gunfire
    An eastern Missouri man is charged with armed criminal action and unlawful possession of a weapon after shooting at a fellow barber shop patron during a discussion about last week's mass shooting in Newtown, Conn.

The tale is confusing and bizarre, but serves as a sad commentary about this country's gun culture. According to the Associated Press, a patron at the All Cuts Barber Shop in Wentzville, Mo. remarked Tuesday that he wanted to kill the suspect, Adam Lanza — who is already dead. Somehow, inexplicably, 57-year-old Lester Davis was offended and took the comment as a threat, asking, "You want to murder me?"

Police say Davis then went to his car, got a pistol and fired three shots at the unnamed customer. Fortunately no one was injured.

Davis turned himself in to police. He remains in jail on $400,000 bond.
    Eastern MO? Maybe St. Louis? Seeing that I hail from there myself, I'd totally buy that.

garbage

Crazy shit people do: conspiracy videos

Cool story

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

God speaks through donkeys and sticks and burning bushes. Yeah, I'm convinced.
    The music was very intimidating.

Still, a bit seriously... regardless of what any president's descent actually is, the prejudice against Arabs is rather sickening.