User Tag List

First 1422232425263474 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Slightly different case... Might have heard of the girl who is being tossed in a jail overnight in Texas for being truant.

Aside from the issue of whether truancy laws make any sense nowadays, here's a few paragraphs on the case:

A 17-year-old Texas high school honor student working two jobs to support herself and her two siblings after both their parents left them has been thrown in jail for repeatedly missing school.

KHOU reports that Diane Tran, an 11th grader at Willis High School in Willis, was sentenced to 24 hours behind bars by Judge Lanny Moriarty. Tran had appeared before the judge last month and was warned not to miss any more school. But the honor student, whose parents divorced and left her alone with her older brother and baby sister, was forced to take two jobs to help support the family.

Tran, who lives with one of her employers, works at a wedding venue on weekends and at a dry cleaner’s full time. She is helping put her older brother through Texas A&M University.

“She goes from job to job, from school she stays up ’til 7 o’clock in the morning,” Devin Hill, a friend, co-worker and classmate, told WHOU.

“[I take] dual credit U.S. history, dual credit English literacy, college algebra, Spanish language AP,” Tran told KHOU, an impressive course load even before considering she works full-time.

Tran’s grueling work schedule sometimes leaves her too exhausted to make it to school on time. Sometimes she doesn’t show up at all. Judge Moriarty said he wanted to make an example out of her.
    http://morallowground.com/2012/05/26...issing-school/

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJrKi0jKao"]Diane Tran story[/YOUTUBE]

I thought perhaps we weren't getting the full reasoning of the judge, but the two arguments he shares here seem to ignore anything else related to the case:
    1. If he doesn't punish her, then (slippery slope) others will try to get away with it, so he has to make an example.
    2. He doesn't want to look soft.

I guess he prefers to look like an ass.

I know I couldn't even carry the load this girl is carrying. This is a case where the teenager has been screwed over by her parents, busting her ass to make everything work for her family, and because she can't do it all, she's being punished for it. In reality, the community should be pulling together to help her, not punishing her as an example. This is the sort of response where you can turn a good kid bad by treating them like shit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Mexico: 5-year-old boy's eyes gouged out in apparent drug-fueled ritual; Mother arrested

Mexico state prosecutor Isaac Acevedo told local media that a total of eight people had been detained and that investigators believed the mother herself gouged the boy's eyes out with her fingers. The boy's father was apparently not in the home at the time.
    Happy Tuesday!

^Horrified is merely a word.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I blame Kill Bill.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's always the quiet ones.

Rudy Eugene, Fla. "face-chewer," called "quiet boy" by former neighbor
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...ag=pop;stories

MBTI
    IsFJ

Has a deranged criminal ever been described as "gregarious" or "outgoing" in a news headline before?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Has a deranged criminal ever been described as "gregarious" or "outgoing" in a news headline before?
    Ted Bundy?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Um, wow.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=weird-news
    This chef's got balls.

Mao Sugiyama, a self-described "asexual" from Tokyo, cooked up, seasoned and served his own genitalia to five diners at a swanky banquet in Japan last month, Calorie Lab reported.

In most cases, "asexual" is a word used to describe a person who is non-sexual. Sugiyama, however, embraces it as a way to show that he does not affiliate with either gender.

Sugiyama sparked a firestorm of interest on April 8 with one tweet:

"[Please retweet] I am offering my male genitals (full penis, testes, scrotum) as a meal for 100,000 yen …Will prepare and cook as the buyer requests, at his chosen location."

Just days after Sugiyama's 22nd birthday, the artist underwent elective genital-removal surgery, divvied up the severed penis shaft, testicles, and scrotal skin between five people, and garnished it with button mushrooms and Italian parsley.

On April 13, five of six diners who signed up for the $250-a-plate feast, sat down to dinner. The sixth person was a no-show.

The next day, an organizer posted a blog -- subsequently deleted -- containing pictures of the event. Images showed dozens of people who attended the event just to catch a glimpse of the rare treat.

The extra diners were served crocodile-based dishes while Sugiyama cooked up the exclusive meal.

The story went viral in Japan. Some showed even more interest, while others complained. But Calorie Lab called Japanese authorities, who deemed the banquet legal because there is no law against cannibalism in the country.

^ Why are there so many stories lately about people chopping up and eating body parts?! WTF.

Woman who lied about rape asks for 'bygones to be bygones'

A Los Angeles teenager convicted of rape in 2002 has been cleared after his "victim" admitted lying.

Brian Banks was sentenced to ten years in prison for raping Wanetta Gibson when he was 16 years-old. He entered a 'no contest plea' and served five years.

Soon after he was released in 2007, Ms Gibson contacted him on facebook with the words "let bygones be bygones". She admitted he was innocent but was concerned she would have to pay back the $1.5m the school gave her in damages at the time.

Mr Banks agreed to meet her and videotaped her with the help of the California Innocence Project.

He gave BBC Radio 5 live Up All Night's Rhod Sharp his first international interview along with his lawyer Justin Brooks.
    I hope he sues the ever-lovin' shite out of her. She ruined his life because she was greedy.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :wubbie:
  • :smile:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: