User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Thread: Soda or pop

Pop. So says the almighty Wegmans... And apparently Jim Kelly too.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Ginkgo

Tonic, anyone?

EDIT: I wonder which area has the highest sales of soda per person. "Pop" has the potential to sound much more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Tonic, anyone?

EDIT: I wonder which area has the highest sales of soda per person. "Pop" has the potential to sound much more appealing.
    Good point. Wegmans was founded in Rochester. If you look at Chana's map Rochester is in a section of NY right between soda and pop people. Wegmans did have a number of stores in Buffalo early on, but Danny Wegman is a marketing genius and I wondered if he figured that pop was much more appealing. They were very heavy on the ads in the 90s when they came out and I think the catch phrase was usually along the lines of "Wpop... Woooooooo... It will blow you away." Because of those ads Wpop didn't have the same sort of stigma other store brands of pop seemed to carry and kids and would drink it just as readily as coke or Pepsi.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Never heard of Wegmans before, but that did remind me that I did grow up with commercials for Shasta and I remember the slogan "I want a pop, I want a Shasta". We also has a specialty store called "The Pop Shoppe" (I think there are still some left in Canada). Doesn't change the fact that I dislike the sound of the word tho...
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

MBTI
    STP

Coke
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I've heard it called "pop" in the midwest. Drink is used by certain southern families("do you want some drink?", in reference to non-alcoholic carbonated beverages and artificially flavored "drink" drinks) and it makes me cringe when i hear it because it sounds like drank, but it's spelled drink. I usually am very specific when referring to food and beverages, but when I'm using a general term "soda" makes sense to me. Soda is carbonated water. Pop is the sound carbonated water in a container makes as it's opened.
    You might be hearing them say, "Do you want somethin' to drink?", but it sounds like "Do you want some drink" because of the drawl. I've lived in the South my whole live and have never heard anyone use "drink" (or "drank") as a noun.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    You might be hearing them say, "Do you want somethin' to drink?", but it sounds like "Do you want some drink" because of the drawl. I've lived in the South my whole live and have never heard anyone use "drink" (or "drank") as a noun.
    Born and raised in the South and I agree with Tallulah here.

As a kid, it was all about Faygo. Made with cane sugar in the bottles.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    No, they said it as a noun. I moved in with a family of a friend in between leases and the first dinner I had with them, her mother said, "do you want some drink?". I assumed she had meant "something to drink" so I said "yeah, I'll have water", she looked at me like I was crazy and/or stupid and then asked "well, do you want some drink or do you want some water? Never mind, you can get it youself, you're a big boy". lulz. I was really confused because I thought water was a drink. The friend later told me that drink is just a blanket term like soda. I don't think it's very widespread, I've only heard it in the town I grew up in and the surrounding area.

Drink is common as a noun, but usually doesn't refer to sugary carbonated beverages. I think it's mostly used as in "Do you want to get drinks later?" etc.

drink (drngk)
    v. drank (drngk), drunk (drngk), drink·ing, drinks
    v.tr.
    1. To take into the mouth and swallow (a liquid).
    2. To swallow the liquid contents of (a vessel): drank a cup of tea.
    3. To take in or soak up; absorb: drank the fresh air; spongy earth that drank up the rain.
    4. To take in eagerly through the senses or intellect: drank in the beauty of the day.
    a. To give or make (a toast).
    b. To toast (a person or an occasion, for example): We'll drink your health.
    6. To bring to a specific state by drinking alcoholic liquors: drank our sorrows away.
    v.intr.
    1. To swallow liquid: drank noisily; drink from a goblet.
    2. To imbibe alcoholic liquors: They only drink socially.
    3. To salute a person or an occasion with a toast: We will drink to your continued success.
    n.
    1. A liquid that is fit for drinking; a beverage.
    2. An amount of liquid swallowed: took a long drink from the fountain.
    3. An alcoholic beverage, such as a cocktail or highball.
    4. Excessive or habitual indulgence in alcoholic liquor.
    5. Chiefly Southern U.S. See soft drink. See Regional Note at tonic.
    6. Slang A body of water; the sea: The hatch cover slid off the boat and into the drink.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In the 'other Texas', El Paso, it was all about Fanta for me. It was in glass bottles that we returned when done with, my fav was pinapple. In a lot of ways that town was a time warp, I wonder if it still is.

Where I grew up (NJ), "drink" was used as a noun for juice-like beverages that weren't actually juice - things like Sunny Delight. But it was never used alone, always modified with the flavor. "Is that orange juice or orange drink?"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari