Thread: Soda or pop

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I'm in the fizzy drink/soft drink camp
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Soda in the US, soft drink or fizzy drink back at home.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Pop!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

I take the soda and i take the pop... i sell it to some people and buy some evian, and drink like a health concious fag.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    What do you call carbonated beverages?

I've heard that on the east coast of the U.S. they call it pop. Here on the west coast of the U.S. we call it soda.
    I didnt think anyone still refered to soda or soft drinks as pop, we refer to them as soft drinks here.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

In Minnesota most people call it pop. That word annoys me, so I call it soda.

Interesting, our neighbors in Wisconsin call it soda. They also call drinking fountains "bubblers" and ATMs "Tyme Machines."
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

I've heard it called "pop" in the midwest. Drink is used by certain southern families("do you want some drink?", in reference to non-alcoholic carbonated beverages and artificially flavored "drink" drinks) and it makes me cringe when i hear it because it sounds like drank, but it's spelled drink. I usually am very specific when referring to food and beverages, but when I'm using a general term "soda" makes sense to me. Soda is carbonated water. Pop is the sound carbonated water in a container makes as it's opened.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I thought 'drank' was like some kind of downer like cough syrup mixed with sprite or something.

Never heard the drank=soda usage.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    What do you call carbonated beverages?

I've heard that on the east coast of the U.S. they call it pop. Here on the west coast of the U.S. we call it soda.
    On the actual East Coast- like Philly, NYC, Atlanta, etc- it's soda. But on the other side of Pennsylvania- near Pittsburgh, it's pop. I think it's really a coastal/central thing.

MBTI
    ESFJ

UK.
    Growing up i referred to it as fizzy pop. Now i use the brand name instead as it saves confusion.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe