Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
No, they said it as a noun. I moved in with a family of a friend in between leases and the first dinner I had with them, her mother said, "do you want some drink?". I assumed she had meant "something to drink" so I said "yeah, I'll have water", she looked at me like I was crazy and/or stupid and then asked "well, do you want some drink or do you want some water? Never mind, you can get it youself, you're a big boy". lulz. I was really confused because I thought water was a drink. The friend later told me that drink is just a blanket term like soda. I don't think it's very widespread, I've only heard it in the town I grew up in and the surrounding area.

Drink is common as a noun, but usually doesn't refer to sugary carbonated beverages. I think it's mostly used as in "Do you want to get drinks later?" etc.

drink (drngk)
v. drank (drngk), drunk (drngk), drink·ing, drinks
1. To take into the mouth and swallow (a liquid).
2. To swallow the liquid contents of (a vessel): drank a cup of tea.
3. To take in or soak up; absorb: drank the fresh air; spongy earth that drank up the rain.
4. To take in eagerly through the senses or intellect: drank in the beauty of the day.
a. To give or make (a toast).
b. To toast (a person or an occasion, for example): We'll drink your health.
6. To bring to a specific state by drinking alcoholic liquors: drank our sorrows away.
1. To swallow liquid: drank noisily; drink from a goblet.
2. To imbibe alcoholic liquors: They only drink socially.
3. To salute a person or an occasion with a toast: We will drink to your continued success.
1. A liquid that is fit for drinking; a beverage.
2. An amount of liquid swallowed: took a long drink from the fountain.
3. An alcoholic beverage, such as a cocktail or highball.
4. Excessive or habitual indulgence in alcoholic liquor.
5. Chiefly Southern U.S. See soft drink. See Regional Note at tonic.
6. Slang A body of water; the sea: The hatch cover slid off the boat and into the drink.
Ah, yes, I realized I spoke too soon, saying it was never used as a noun, because of course, we do say, "Do you want A drink?" or "Do you want a soft drink?" But yeah, I've still never heard it just called "drink." That does sound like a very local thing. It would bug me if I heard someone say it.

And like EffEm said, I have heard people say "orange drink" to distinguish it from juice.