User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Red face Girls acting dumb, boys acting dumb, girls vs boys

I used to get annoyed at girls who'd act dumb to seem cute & innocent, but I realized I act dumb myself a lot. Really all the time I'm socializing, I just turn myself into a clown.

Do I do it to be cute? Maybe so but it seems different for a guy, like it's unexpected. I get annoyed hearing guys act authoritative, like what they're saying is so important. I think i secretly want to confuse them, & make the heat of embarrassment rise slowly in their cheekbones, so I go under the manly radar with nonsense & this that & the third.

The reason i act dumb is because I'm anti-intellectual, I have a psychological rebellion to my father & other authority figures, I like to be underestimated & I don't understand normal conversation so I feel dumb in conversations anyway.

Do you act dumb? Do you like it when men act dumb or women do or do you think they should stop.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    ISTx

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Acting dumb to be cute is dumb but:

Appearing inconsiderable is a virtue of Ne in my opinion. It helps us to filter what people are genuienly intrested in us. Appearing inconsiderable helps to learn about the World as well. I for example grew up in a region you could call ghetto and I was the only one in a group of around 20 boys who went to a higher school education. Still I never fell victim to being a nerd, because I didnt behave like one. I was always respected and people liked me as a friend. This wasnt because I manipulated them, no this was because I am genuinely intresting in everyones story. It helps me on my personal quest for wisdom, if I'ld run around and deem people unworthy of my attention, I'ld personally feel sad like I declined myself to read an intresting scientific article. My gf sometimes wonders why I am even friendly to people I dislike and I tell her I am doing that to get to know them, to find out how they tick and work, what motivates them. Of course all within borders, I am not being nice just for the sake of it.

I think its a quality of an adult mind to seem inconsiderable in a group and still play a key role or being one of the main actors in the group. Its a quality in leading aswell, the best leadership is that other people do not recognize as being led.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I actually prefer it when people act dumb from time to time, it makes me smile more often than not.

As for myself, I act less intelligently than I actually am quite often. Partly because it's fun to make people underestimate you, and partly because I get sick of having to think so much during my classes, so when I get out of class...

I don't really think gender matters for this, acting dumb and being dumb are very different. As long as you know when to stop, I think the ability to act dumb can definitely be an asset.

(Though I think I may be using "dumb" as "immature" in this case... Most people close to me use the terms interchangeably, so I do the same from time to time as well.)
    Last edited by Tyrinth; 01-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Lark acting awesome, Lark vs. everyone

MBTI
    ESFJ

Do i act dumb? No

Do people maybe perceive me as dumb? Possibly

Do i care? Only 20% of the time.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Sometimes I don't mention that I know things that I do for strategic and social reasons. I don't play dumb, but it seems like some people interpret the way do things as dumb, but I'm just ENFP-ey.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

When people "act dumb" I see it as completely reactionary. That is, it's almost always a response to someone else's grab for dominance in a situation. When, for instance, some person tries to mainsplain at a group of people (and having a mansplainer in a group is inevitable...and they're usually dudes), I notice that people tend to take one of two reactions; they either "act dumb" or inferior in order to automatically get out of the domination game, or they join in and fight the mansplainer for dominance (or they try to snipe him...either way it's aggressive.) Of course, there's also the people that just leave, but a lot of the time that's simply not an option.

Anyway, that's why I don't really mind when people act "dumber" than they really are, because if it weren't for assholes (present in the flesh or in the abstract as a cultural notion) then nobody would act this way.

Oh, to answer the question, no, I never purposefully act dumb because I don't like the idea of voluntarily putting myself in a position of social inferiority or vulnerability, even in the smallest of circumstances.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

"Mansplaining" is not a term I had heard before but I recognise its occurrence often in my seminars. Some of my seminars are mostly male and others are mostly female but most of these groups will generally have at least one arrogant young man who dominates conversation. I don't so much mind them because its better to have someone talking then nobody...I feel more annoyed at the females who often seem utterly unwilling to show they understand the material.

My favourite females are the smart, opinionated women.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I used to get annoyed at girls who'd act dumb to seem cute & innocent, but I realized I act dumb myself a lot. Really all the time I'm socializing, I just turn myself into a clown.

Do I do it to be cute? Maybe so but it seems different for a guy, like it's unexpected. I get annoyed hearing guys act authoritative, like what they're saying is so important. I think i secretly want to confuse them, & make the heat of embarrassment rise slowly in their cheekbones, so I go under the manly radar with nonsense & this that & the third.

The reason i act dumb is because I'm anti-intellectual, I have a psychological rebellion to my father & other authority figures, I like to be underestimated & I don't understand normal conversation so I feel dumb in conversations anyway.

Do you act dumb? Do you like it when men act dumb or women do or do you think they should stop.
    I do not act dumb. I think it's ridiculous to even want to act dumb. I can't stand men and women who act like a fucking bimbo.
    I have no idea why people find this cute or endearing but people who do it should know it's not something that's universally enjoyed. At all.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.