User Tag List

First 12

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

To act dumb is a privilege of intelligent people. We have the choice and the possibility to act dumb and intelligent whenever we want. It's a privilege, why not use it?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    To act dumb is a privilege of intelligent people. We have the choice and the possibility to act dumb and intelligent whenever we want. It's a privilege, why not use it?
    How's that working for you?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    STP

I like to confuse people, i dont like to leave them confused.

I dont act dumb, i do enough dumb things without acting(todays dumb thing of the day...when u drip hot glue on the carpet do not pick it up with your fingers before it cools).
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I suppose in that sense it is better to act dumb than actually to be dumb and have no choice.

Admitting one's actual ignorance or inability can be helpful. Keeping quiet about one's knowledge and abilities can be necessary. Being underestimated can give one an advantage in certain situations, if one is prepared to make the most of it. Other than these specific, goal-oriented cases, though, playing dumb just to smooth one's way in social situations is -- well, just plain dumb. Just another way to pretend to be something you are not.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I think most people see me in an intelligent light or at least know I'm articulate.

MBTI
    Xnfj
    Enneagram
    4/5

after writing this i realized it was not exactly relevant to the op..

well in a learning environment... not immediatly answering every open question "if you are already familiar with the topic" can be a way to help foster more actual learning amongst the group.. so yeah there are certainly times that I have "played dumb" and others when I am dumb..

also playing dumb when you are being falsely implicated in a behavior that someone found distasteful may also limit the likelihood that you would be accused.

playing dumb can be a good way to ignore unwanted attention or conflict.. "id limit this only to when you feel that doing otherwise would cause more discord.." example girl is non verbally flirting with you, however knowing that her date is extremely possessive or personally dislikes you perhaps you wish to avoid a conflict. "and personally.. when I see a person treating someone they are supposed to be spending time with so disrespectfully. Ick."

also when working a new job.. you may inadvertently lead people to believe you are already proficient at the task simply by sounding literate.. stay quiet. and try not to set up false expectations for you ability in a given area.

apparently playing dumb can be useful, ironically I have never really thought about how often I use that kind of strategy with others.
    Last edited by Happy; 01-25-2012 at 01:49 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't act dumb on purpose and I find it annoying when other people do. I don't find it cute or attractive. I've never liked giggly, bubbly types either.
    I admit I can be a little spacey, but I'd categorize it as daydreamy obliviousness, not being cutesy-dumb on purpose.

I find people who act pretentiously smart way less annoying, if I had to choose a lesser evil.

Oh yeah, I've heard people say they find it cute because they read it as "humility" and being "light-hearted" and "down to earth". Apparently, appearing intelligent is intimidating, snobby and too serious....anti-intellectualism strikes again.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe