User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Senior Pics: Stifling of Free Speech, or Good Taste?

linky

A Colorado teenager whose yearbook picture was rejected for being too revealing is vowing to fight the ban with her high school’s administration, but the editors of the yearbook insist it was their decision alone on the photo.

The five student editors of the Durango High School yearbook in Durango, Col., told the Durango Herald they were the ones who made the call not to publish a picture of senior Sydney Spies posing in a short yellow skirt midriff and shoulder-exposing black shawl as her senior portrait.

“We are an award-winning yearbook. We don’t want to diminish the quality with something that can be seen as unprofessional,” student Brian Jaramillo told the paper on Thursday...

The yearbook said it was fine to include the pic as a "senior ad" in the book, it just would not appear in the classier section with all the senior pictures.

The mom is apparently throwing a hissy fit and they're now talking to lawyers about whether they have a case to sue the school, etc.

.... I'm just not sure why they want to spend all this money so that their daughter can publicly look like a tramp. (She honestly looks like the opening pic in a Playboy sequence, and next pic she will be stripping off her top... tastefully, of course!)

Really, is this the kind of thing they want haunting her when she goes to look for a high-end professional job in a few years? it seems a silly matter to waste so much time and money on, considering she can still get the picture into the yearbook in a different and more appropriate section of the book.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

The mom is just fighting for her daughter's and her own future by preparing her daughter to be the next Holly or Kendra, "Girls Next Door", reality TV star, Hef fiancée so that she can make millions for both of them!!!!!!!! This is where the money is. Forget about education. Notoriety, stardom and some 15 minutes of fame are the way to go nowadays. You got all that going on, you need to flaunt it and take advantage of it before it all starts to go south.

Sorry, couldn't resist the 'snark' side!
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Anew Leaf

I am so tired of people abusing the right to free speech as a umbrella policy to be a entitled ass.

Maybe they can put the picture in the spot for "Most Likely to Become a Target for the Center of Disease Control."

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Her parents worry me. It's bad taste, and inappropriate, as judged by her peers.
    Plus why would you want to be remembered as the skanky ho? Any way I don't think it's stifling of self expression. She go express her self on other mediums, just not her year book. The whole thing screams publicy stunt.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

you wouldn't be allowed to wear that top to class in my (former) high school - and I would assume most other schools. If you wouldn't be allowed to wear it to class, why would it be allowed in the yearbook picture??
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Whether or not it's "unprofessional" would depend on her profession, would it not?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

we weren't allowed to wear anything against dress code in our senior pics... it appears that what she is wearing is probably against dress code in just about every high school in the country so why did she even think she would get away with dressing in that for a senior picture?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Whether or not it's "unprofessional" would depend on her profession, would it not?
    ha....! Well, maybe professional for her, but not professional for the known quality of that yearbook apparently.

As far as the dress code thing others have brought up: Good call, that makes sense.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Public schools are not free speech zones

Free speech zones are few and far between in the United States

That senior picture is tasteless and I, for one, am glad it made it onto the internet

NPcomplete

It's surprising that she thought she could get away with it, and even more surprising that her mom is trying to sue the school for this. Maybe it's one of those "I disagree with what you're doing but I'll fight for your right to do it." cases?

But maybe not.